Anyone deal with Leg cramps?

its less about potassium than it is about sodium. Potassium could be the issue mind you but I would check the amount of sodium you are taking in.

I get them at night after a day of golf when I don't drink enough water, or forget to take the potassium supplement. The latest spot, and the one that HURTS the most is the inner thigh, right above the knee. Last time I got one I remarked to my wife that it was almost "pass out" pain.

Bananas and water.

I have banana at least every other day, if I get cramps I know I skipped a day, strectching before round can help a lot too. Never thought this would make a great excuse for banana cream pie, mmmmmmmmmm........!

I get bad cramps in my right calf, even worse since my bad sciatic attack 3 or 4 years back. So far I've found nothing that helps prevent it apart from sleeping with my leg reasonably straight rather than bent.

I take a potassium supplement every day. I am allergic to bananas unfortunately, (they make my throat itch, which is an odd feeling), so I have to do the pill form. As long as I keep it up, I don't have any issues with cramps.

THP #theking #imwithchad

I take a potassium supplement every day. I am allergic to bananas unfortunately, (they make my throat itch, which is an odd feeling), so I have to do the pill form. As long as I keep it up, I don't have any issues with cramps.

THP #theking #imwithchad

A bit off topic but you could have a latex allergy or sensitivity.

this is an interesting thread and takes me way back to high school years well over 30 years ago when I played Hockey. I use to wake up on regular basis with terrible cramps (or we called them Charlie horses) in back my upper this. Painful as can be. There were even some of the times when I didn't even remember in the morning till my mom told me it happened again. I use to wake up and my brother and my mom would be pulling my leg to straighten it out while I was almost crying in pain. We never knew what caused them but I would stretch a lot and we thought that is what I needed to do at the time some 30+ years ago.

Anyway, they did eventually stop. However, a different but also interesting subject, what I do have now and always had is what is referred to as "restless leg syndrome". Not a cramping thing but an inability to get the legs comfortable and a constant feeling that you must keep the legs moving constantly. My mom had this as well and still does. There are actually books on this nowadays although no known cure and only theories as to what may cause it. Some things work for some people but not most.

You can spend a day walking an amusement park, be tired as heck when you go to bed but as soon as you lay down to rest your legs want to wake up no matter how tired you are. People have actually lost jobs over it due to lack of sleep. You may heard the expression "creepy crawly legs" which describes a feeling sometimes as though there are bugs under the skin. Sounds gross but it is often used to describe the feeling and it is correct. A feeling that you have to keep moving, kicking, twisting, turning the legs in order for it to stop. but as soon as you stop they wake up again. Feels great to stretch them or have them massaged but only while its happening. Soon as that is done, they still go right back to doing what they want. There are times when its just terrible. One of the reasons I just will not sit still for long periods of time. I am constantly moving around or moving my legs even while sitting still. if I am on a plane or perhaps a bus where I cant stretch the legs to make the feeling stop even for a few seconds there are times when I just want to kick the seat in front of me. Basically when ever your at rest your legs insist on waking up. Very frustrating indeed. Perhaps one of the reasons I prefer to walk when I play. To keep moving the legs. And stop now and then to really pull/stretch the legs. Often see me bend over touch the ground to do that and get relief for the few seconds.

thankfully I don't have it as bad as some do or I just learned to tolerate it better than some. like I said their are plenty people who have it so bad that it has changed their lives, Cant sleep at all and have lost jobs and have trouble functioning due to lack of sleep. I have plenty sleepless nights because of it and it does have an impact but thankfully not to that degree. Yet?

So far the Nuun tablets are working. Usually have at least one during the round and one after. Played 5 days in row and no issue with that method.

Also if I feel sore or worn down I have another in the evening for prevention

Plenty of potassium (bananas) and water should do the trick.

Plenty of potassium (bananas) and water should do the trick.

I grab a banana now and then, but the nuun tablet is so much easier on the course to keep stocked and available.

Quick update: Wanted to update on serious progress here as today was a good example where I would cramp a bunch in the past. Played a full round and did a ton of range and short game time after with only about 2 hours of sleep last night. This type of thing in the past (I do this crap way too much for an old guy) usually would guarantee cramping at some point the night after. Prevention has been my key--water bottles with Nuun tablets before the round, during the round, and after the round (3 total) prevented any issues.

Get these all the time. Usually I stand up on my tippy toes and flex the leg to get rid of it. They are painful

Back