GMAT and Masters degrees

The worst part is that when I took the job, a Bachelors in anything was all that was required for any position outside of upper management. They changed the contract a couple years ago and made all the supervisory positions Masters requirements because the prime contractor can charge more money for the education level of their employees.

It's all a racket. The only thing that a Masters does for me in my field is show that I was willing to endure the pain and suffering to get one. I have Post-911 GI Bill that's paying for everything, but I would say for anyone else, it's whether you're willing to pay the money and endure the pain.

Exactly. We are required as well. It does nothing for me in the classroom.

I'll be done with my MBA spring 2015, I've been taking one class at a time so I can pay for them all without needing loans. I'm actually enjoying it for the most part, aside from the heavy math/stats classes. My concentration is in organizational management so a lot of the courses are about how corporations manage, make decisions, work with employees, etc.

I had always wanted to go back to school, but it took a back seat to my wife's classwork. I ran into an issue a few years back where I wanted to look for a new job that wasn't in sales, and everywhere I sent in my resume or applied to wanted me in a sales role, not in management or marketing. So I've been sticking around in sales these past few years, hopefully I'll be able to get a new gig once the degree is in hand. Hopefully...

I'll be done with my MBA spring 2015, I've been taking one class at a time so I can pay for them all without needing loans. I'm actually enjoying it for the most part, aside from the heavy math/stats classes. My concentration is in organizational management so a lot of the courses are about how corporations manage, make decisions, work with employees, etc.

I had always wanted to go back to school, but it took a back seat to my wife's classwork. I ran into an issue a few years back where I wanted to look for a new job that wasn't in sales, and everywhere I sent in my resume or applied to wanted me in a sales role, not in management or marketing. So I've been sticking around in sales these past few years, hopefully I'll be able to get a new gig once the degree is in hand. Hopefully...

One of the unfortunate truisms of the graduate business degree is that it doesn't really train you to do anything new. Unlike with a law or medical degree, with an MBA you do not graduate as anything "different". You aren't trained to enter a new profession. You're the same salaryman with hopefully a few more skills. Most companies only want to hire you to do what you've already done. At my school, the bankers coming in went back to banking, same with the consultants, or the marketing guys. That's why you've got to avoid the loan debt at all costs. The degree may come in more handy as a notch in your belt a few years from now, it's NOT gonna guarantee you a $20K raise the minute you have the sheepskin in hand.

One of the unfortunate truisms of the graduate business degree is that it doesn't really train you to do anything new. Unlike with a law or medical degree, with an MBA you do not graduate as anything "different". You aren't trained to enter a new profession. You're the same salaryman with hopefully a few more skills. Most companies only want to hire you to do what you've already done. At my school, the bankers coming in went back to banking, same with the consultants, or the marketing guys. That's why you've got to avoid the loan debt at all costs. The degree may come in more handy as a notch in your belt a few years from now, it's NOT gonna guarantee you a $20K raise the minute you have the sheepskin in hand.

Heh, agreed. I got an MPA 2 years ago but have yet to put it to use.

Might not put it to use, but my company has now made a masters of some sort a requirement for upper management, so if I want to take my bosses spot when he retires (I do) then I have to have one.

Might not put it to use, but my company has now made a masters of some sort a requirement for upper management, so if I want to take my bosses spot when he retires (I do) then I have to have one.

I think that's why most people who have ambition go through the agony..........:beat-up:

I have a Masters from Johns Hopkins and graduated in 2008. I didn't think the GMAT was as bad as the LSAT. Just my opinion.

GMAT and Masters degrees

I have a Masters from Johns Hopkins and graduated in 2008. I didn't think the GMAT was as bad as the LSAT. Just my opinion.

One of my team members was prelaw in undergrad and has told me lsat horror stories so I'd probably agree. The gmat is tricky but not necessarily hard.

Back