Cobra Bio Cell and Bio Cell+ Driver Preview

Sweet looking metal set up Army.
My Pro Shop just received the +'s in.

Dude - Army - that is freaking awesome!!!! Sooooo jealous right now :D

So I've got two Bio Cell adapters just begging to have shafts put in them. I'm leaning towards doing my Diamana S+ in one of them and then the second one I can't decide between a Kusala White 72, a White Tie 6x3, or a Kusala Blue 61. The Kusala White tipped 1.5" I think would be pretty awesome, and it would play at flex code 5742 which is basically directly in between stiff and xstiff.

That's a damn good array of shaft choices.

That's a damn good array of shaft choices.
Yes...I went through a "it must be the shaft's fault" phase where I purchased pretty much everything. This is the other side of the coin; how do you choose when you can't try them all on a launch monitor in that particular head?

Yes...I went through a "it must be the shaft's fault" phase where I purchased pretty much everything. This is the other side of the coin; how do you choose when you can't try them all on a launch monitor in that particular head?

Look foward to your reviews with the different shafts. Are you finding any specific problems with the stock offering or are tou just wanting to experiment?

Look foward to your reviews with the different shafts. Are you finding any specific problems with the stock offering or are tou just wanting to experiment?

Purely experimental. I expect to enjoy the Red Tie I have in it.

Purely experimental. I expect to enjoy the Red Tie I have in it.

Was there an upcharge to get the red tie in the regular bio?
What loft setting are you playing?
Has the draw bias settings contribute to an actual draw?
Again, looking foward to your "experiment"

Was there an upcharge to get the red tie in the regular bio?
What loft setting are you playing?
Has the draw bias settings contribute to an actual draw?
Again, looking foward to your "experiment"

I didn't have any upcharge. I will play it somewhere between 11 and 12 degrees but I haven't fine tuned it yet.
I can't really answer the 3rd question as I certainly don't need any help turning the ball over so the draw settings scare me to death.

I didn't have any upcharge. I will play it somewhere between 11 and 12 degrees but I haven't fine tuned it yet.
I can't really answer the 3rd question as I certainly don't need any help turning the ball over so the draw settings scare me to death.

Lol.. okay. Im on the other spectrum and hit a slight fade. Hence the question. :)

With the red tie being in the regular bio my driver decision just leaned a little toward it...

Decisions Decisions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As much as I'm partial to the Bio Cell I don't think there is a wrong choice in your hands.

Today I finally get to swing some of this dynamite new gear, I'm going to MB and I can't freakin wait!

Today I finally get to swing some of this dynamite new gear, I'm going to MB and I can't freakin wait!

Looking foward to some feedback from you trout.

Dude, I'm so excited I'm like a little kid right now. The entire driver line is beautiful but the +'s are striking in the pics I've seen.

Smash those beauties, Trout!

Nice my man! I'm really looking forward to your thoughts

So I've got two Bio Cell adapters just begging to have shafts put in them. I'm leaning towards doing my Diamana S+ in one of them and then the second one I can't decide between a Kusala White 72, a White Tie 6x3, or a Kusala Blue 61. The Kusala White tipped 1.5" I think would be pretty awesome, and it would play at flex code 5742 which is basically directly in between stiff and xstiff.

Diamana S+ is a solid shaft, good choice.

Can anyone 100% confirm if the Red Tie is, or is not, an upcharge in the Bio Cell head? I was at a demo day today and the Cobra rep said it was an upcharge.

It was the first time hitting it outside and I love this driver. I hit the stock stiff, Red Tie, and then on a whim tried the stock x-stiff. Now I need to get on a monitor because all three shafts were great. The x-stiff is not a flex I ever look at, but I was hitting nice high bombs with the x flex on the 10.5 setting. I would love to know the spin rates.

Can anyone 100% confirm if the Red Tie is, or is not, an upcharge in the Bio Cell head? I was at a demo day today and the Cobra rep said it was an upcharge.

It was the first time hitting it outside and I love this driver. I hit the stock stiff, Red Tie, and then on a whim tried the stock x-stiff. Now I need to get on a monitor because all three shafts were great. The x-stiff is not a flex I ever look at, but I was hitting nice high bombs with the x flex on the 10.5 setting. I would love to know the spin rates.

Army golf has the regular with the red tie. He said there was not an upcharge. Might want to get with him.

From what I've seen there is normally an upcharge, think Army caught a good deal.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Trout any feedback on your experience yet?

Army golf has the regular with the red tie. He said there was not an upcharge. Might want to get with him.

Hey Karsten, order from http://www.globalgolf.com/custom-clubs/1027647-cobra-custom-bio-cell-black-driver/ and you can get the regular head with the + shaft for no upcharge.

I used the Bio Cell for the first time yesterday and loved every minute of it, although I can't really report on performance because the conditions we played in were skewing the results to say the least.

Keep in mind, these are my thoughts after only 1 round and 1 range session and I have the Cobra Red Tie in the Bio Cell head, not the PXv.
I came from the Amp Cell driver and prior to that I gamed a 913d2 for most of last year. The Bio Cell has a much nicer sound and feel compared to the Amp Cell, at least in my opinion. The sound is lower pitched and deeper and all around more 'solid' than the Amp Cell which always sounded a bit high pitched and felt a tad weak to me.

I can report that the Bio Cell exhibits the same level of forgiveness as the Amp Cell at worst, and may be even better. If you hit the ball high or low on the face you will see a slightly different trajectory but distance loss will be minimal. Heel strikes didn't seem to be punished very much at all, creating a little baby fade but very much still playable. For whatever reason I found the toe to be a little less forgiving than the heel but not to the point that a ball will be unplayable, the toe is no-less forgiving than the toe of the Amp Cell was. When you hit one out on the toe, you'll know it instantly by the way the club just screams back at you whereas a heel strike feels like a center strike.

As far as ball flight, I was seeing a mid flight with the Red Tie even at 12* loft. It's worth noting that at impact I deloft the face significantly so my effective loft is probably only 9* or so. If I tee'd the ball up a touch higher I was getting a higher flight but was hitting higher on the face so I doubt that the same ball speeds were there. The Red-Tie seemed to be launching lower than I expected it to, lower than the Diamana S+ and similar to the Kusala Blue, but my expectations were purely speculation.

One thing that concerned me was the black painted face on this club and how long it would last before looking used and abused. After hitting 20-25 old and rock hard range balls and 10 shots on the course you can't even tell a ball has hit the face. Hopefully that trend continues.

Based on what I saw I don't think people are going to pick up a ton of yards with this club over the Amp Cell, but it is definitely a much more refined product IMO.

Back