Blu! I know this isn't the place, but what happened to your Nike gear?! You're a TM homer now? Trader!!!! Haha

He went to a very awesome THP Event and got a set of irons for coming (everybody did)

Driver value

He went to a very awesome THP Event and got a set of irons for coming (everybody did)

Blu! I know this isn't the place, but what happened to your Nike gear?! You're a TM homer now? Trader!!!! Haha

That happened with the iron. I then saw a driver make my covert tour obsolete. Which is appropriate for this thread, because resale on a Covert Tour SSSUUUUUCCCKKS. Hopefully the shaft bumps the value

That happened with the iron. I then saw a driver make my covert tour obsolete. Which is appropriate for this thread, because resale on a Covert Tour SSSUUUUUCCCKKS. Hopefully the shaft bumps the value

Resale value is not the only thing that sucks about that driver.

It has been mentioned a couple of times so far but trade-in and resell are completely different values. Someone mentioned Pawn Stars 101 and I agree.

Driver value

I lol'd when that crappy driver out drove Beags by 110 yards on one hole

When you caught the Covert just right it went a long way. I saw that once. I also saw about 20 that you did not catch the right way over a weekend of golf. THAT'S the Covert.

When you caught the Covert just right it went a long way. I saw that once. I also saw about 20 that you did not catch the right way over a weekend of golf. THAT'S the Covert.

Stay on topic.

The first indication that values drop ridiculously should be how hard new retail price drops on a driver as soon as that company brings out their next driver... That $399 new driver automatically drops to $179-199 as soon as said company rolls out their new $399 driver. And I really doubt that the 6 month old model is being sold at a loss when the price drops in half.

The first indication that values drop ridiculously should be how hard new retail price drops on a driver as soon as that company brings out their next driver... That $399 new driver automatically drops to $179-199 as soon as said company rolls out their new $399 driver. And I really doubt that the 6 month old model is being sold at a loss when the price drops in half.

Nobody is releasing drivers in 6 month cycles. And to think yearly cycles is outrageous is silly. These companies are trying to remain profitable and they are not beholden to anyone to protect their purchase for any determined amount of time.

If anything, trade in programs hurt manufacturers.

Do you know how much Callaway makes when someone sells back an optiforce and than when someone buys the used optiforce?

Zero dollars

Do you know how much Callaway makes when someone sells back an optiforce and than when someone buys the used optiforce?

Zero dollars

Callaway makes money when that Optiforce is traded in towards a new Big Bertha.

Keep in mind there is a large number of people that would never drop $400+ on a new driver. They need the bargain shopper to buy that used driver so the guy that traded it in can buy the new driver.

Zero dollars

I don't know about that. TM has it's own used club web site and inventory moves quick.

Zero dollars

Hypothetical lets say
Driver sold for $300
Buy back for $75
Resale for $200
So that's roughly $425 for 1 club. True other factors aren't figured in to total but the manufacturer wins like Vegas imo.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

If people don't want to buy clubs yearly then don't.. But I see no reason to begrudge these companies for trying to make a profit. If you buy clubs hoping to get a bunch of money when you resell it then you are going to be sorely dissappointed

Buying a club and expecting to get anything back on it is much like buying a Jeep, putting $5,000 worth of mods on it, and then expecting to sell it for fair market value + your aftermarket expenses. It's just unrealistic. It's not "exactly" the same thing, but it is in the fact that both situations are next to 0% liklihood.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Hypothetical lets say
Driver sold for $300
Buy back for $75
Resale for $200
So that's roughly $425 for 1 club. True other factors aren't figured in to total but the manufacturer wins like Vegas imo.

I should have clarified that I was referring you in store or 2nd hand trade ins. Not trade ins back to the manufacturer

Gotcha lol

I lol'd when that crappy driver out drove Beags by 110 yards on one hole

We can compare scorecards from that round if you would like...

There are only two things that affect a driver's resale value: SUPPLY and DEMAND.

The supply part is easier to quantify. A quick search of drivers on the 'bay returns 21,000 entries for Taylormade, 11,000 for Callaway, 5,600 for Ping, about 5,000 for Titleist and Cobra, 4,300 for Nike, 3,400 for Cleveland, 2,900 for Adams and only 500 for Mizuno. Lesser brands like say Yonex or Wilson Staff or Krank only have a couple of hundred offerings each. So it's easy to see where market saturation is going to hinder resale value.

Some clubs may only have a niche demand, but that demand is so STRONG and the supply is always limited so the price stays high. Other clubs may enjoy a good reputation and healthy demand, but their market is simply so glutted with newer product by the same manufacturer that the price cannot help but be depressed. This is what affects Taylormade. Yes, I know that they try to protect their pricing by offering to buyback unsold overstock from retailers, but then they just stamp that overstock as "ARP" and flip it back to the wholesalers like GolfGalaxy and 3Balls, who then resell for whatever they can get. The market is not fooled and the resale price bar stays low.

I don't try to explain or worry about resale value much, I just roll with it. I was just as surprised when I made money on a Titleist 913d2 ($225 out - $275 back in) as I when I lost my shirt on a Nike Covert Tour ($165 out - $75 back in). I didn't really like or want to keep EITHER club, so I didn't care. And even though the club I kept was not the most expensive one I bought, I will treasure it above all others -- until something better comes along, of course.

If all you really care about is resale value, the only club you should ever buy are Ping Eye 2 Beryllium Copper irons. 30 years after release you can still buy them for about $350 a set and sell them for the same price whenever you decide to dump them.

Back