LefTe

Living Strong!
Reaction score
Handicap
My Swing
Calling Phil a cheater for using clubs approved seems a little much but what I thought was interesting was a comment made by one of the GC commentators. That McCarron didn't have much to talk about while he uses a Belly Putter that while legal it is questionable . This really sounds more like the USGA needs to get the Ping issue put to bed quickly. In the interview with Lefty I thought he handled it well being called out for cheating. Boy are things getting a little testy on tour already. Maybe if Scott had made the cut it wouldn't have been an issue?

JMO, but I tend think of PM as not being "just one of the guys" on tour. He marches to his own tune, racks up wins here and there, owns some Majors, a big fan favorite, makes a lot of money, and is pretty much his own guy on the PGA tour. McCarron on the other hand (imo) belongs to, and is part of that "just one of the guys" club who don't win very often, are not big fan favorites, but able to make a lot of money based on others popularity. I suspect McCarron is just strutting his feathers because of his recent appointment to the Players Advisory Council that deals with competition issues.

I look for this rule to be changed, and the older clubs to not be allowed in the near future. PM has already said he will most likely switch back to the new clubs, but not because he thinks there is anything wrong with using the Pings.

I had to laugh when Chamblee brought up the belly putter, I thought that was a great point... The other point that was brought up was that player take advantage of the rules all the time... taking a drop a cartpath, sprinkler head etc... and you know on some of those they are not taking their normal stance.

McCarron should have complained about the rule and not called out an individual player.

Phil has clearly been at the recieving end of instant karma with his ball getting stuck up in a tree.

it just makes McCarron sound bitter (as if he can't find old Ping's himself or something)

the rules are the rules, and if old Ping's are ruled OK to use there's no legit complaint

on the plus side for McCarron, now I've heard his name, and I hadn't heard of him before....

belly putters... wedges... hybrids... if its legal... play it or not...
dont bag on someone that plays a legal club... if they have a problem with it... they should be bagging on the rules or the entity that made it "legal" not the player that chooses to use it...
questioning the integrity of the game? its legal... stfu and beat him with your sticks not with accusations

It is definitely the rules, not PM, that's the issue. In Phil's response, he talked about a few of his clubs that were sent in for testing / approval, that were 'conforming to the new rules' but not approved while the Ping wedges are not conforming but approved due to the law suit Pre-1990 technicality. Makes no sense.

Speaking of integrity, if SM felt so strongly about Phil's unfair advantage, shouldn't appropriate action be a formal complaint to the PGA and keep it to an internal issue. Why air that stuff in public re: calling the new likely #1 player on tour (and certainly most recognized) a "Cheat"? PGA has already gotten crushed with personal integrity issues from Tiger's recent debacle. If PGA keeps going down this path with its own players bringing each other down, sponsors will keep dropping left and right. Players like Scotty might stop and realize he needs Phil more than he thinks.

It is definitely the rules, not PM, that's the issue. In Phil's response, he talked about a few of his clubs that were sent in for testing / approval, that were 'conforming to the new rules' but not approved while the Ping wedges are not conforming but approved due to the law suit Pre-1990 technicality. Makes no sense.

I think this is the reason why he is using the Ping wedge. I think he is trying to get back at the USGA for not approving the Callaway wedges he helped develop. He may have a point there. They are conforming, but I don't understand why the USGA won't approve them.

pga statement

pga statement

The pga issued a statement today , by the tone of it they are not happy with McCarron statements about cheating with these wedges.
McCarron maybe putting a little money up in the way of a fine.

L57

Re: McCarron On Phil

LEFTY57 said:
The pga issued a statement today , by the tone of it they are not happy with McCarron statements about cheating with these wedges.
McCarron maybe putting a little money up in the way of a fine.

L57

See, I don't like that either. This whole groove thing has been mismanaged from beginning to end.

GROOVES

GROOVES

mccarron is a bitter jerk,,,phil could play better than him with a 2 by 4..big talk for someone who uses a belly putter, which should be illegal in the game along with long pendulum putters....the longest club in the bag should be the driver....players should learn to putt the way it was meant...putting is part skill,, part art....the grooves should have never been changed....everything was fine....it kept the skilled players up with the long players..

Last edited:
See, I don't like that either. This whole groove thing has been mismanaged from beginning to end.

I agree, poorly handled from the usga to the pga. MacCarron has opened a new can of worms . When you go on record in print and on National TV and claim
one of your top players is cheating . You bring a huge amount of unwanted
press to your sport. When the player or players are within the rules to play this wedge. Hammer this bitter little man with a huge fine I say.
MacCarron should fight and die on another hill .This fight is only hurting his tour and at a time when they can least afford it.

L57

The PGA will chastise Mccarron over this entire thing. Right, wrong, good or bad Lefty will shank his way out simply because of his rank.

Bring it on!

The PGA will chastise Mccarron over this entire thing. Right, wrong, good or bad Lefty will shank his way out simply because of his rank.

Bring it on!

I won't be to quick to judge over Phil ,ever week the or more players using the ping wedges. As for bring it on . MacCarron should find very good legal council
as Phil mentioned "publicly slandered" twice in his interviews. MacCarron has been
trying to suck up to Phil since without response. You cannot make bold statements on the public airways and in print like cheating when the player is within the rules.
Slam dunk law suite. Yes bring it on MacCarron... you lose, your public statements will bury you.
I don't Phil will take money off the dupe MacCarron but mark my words you will see Scotty M will apologize and retract or change his statement very soon.
And that has nothing to due about rankings !

L57

L57

He is well within the rules.Why wouldn't you want to use the ruels to your advantage?Plus ,it's not like he is doing something no one else can do.

I think McCarron was out of line in calling Phil a cheater. An opportunist perhaps, but not a cheater.

I know what he means though (about the spirit of the game and all that), and whether he's got a point or not is debatable. What I can't understand is why the Tour didn't see this coming.
I'm sure that someone in authority must have heard rumors that many players were thinking about going with the Ping's after the rule change and I can't believe that they didn't see the potential for the controversy they now have on their hands.

Why couldn't the Tour simply have said that after the rule change, everyone has to use the new V-grooves and only the V-grooves? Seems to me that if they did that in the first place, there wouldn't be any controversy at all.

-JP

I think this is the reason why he is using the Ping wedge. I think he is trying to get back at the USGA for not approving the Callaway wedges he helped develop. He may have a point there. They are conforming, but I don't understand why the USGA won't approve them.

I also think this is the reason Phil has the wedge in play. I also believe that Callaway supports this move right now. They are trying to bring to light how screwed up this situation is and make the PGA Tour and the USGA look bad at the same time, and it seems to be working.

they said on the golf channel that SM tried to contact PM... didnt say what the notes were or what they said... but so far no response directly from PM to SM... i think everyone is going to get lawyered up cuz PM threw around slander more than a few times in interviews...
do you think mccarron thought it was safer to call phil a cheat than to call out his bread and butter the actual tour itself for the ruling? i think it was a bad move all around

This is absolutely not what the PGA needs. The sad part is they created the whole mess.

Why couldn't the Tour simply have said that after the rule change, everyone has to use the new V-grooves and only the V-grooves? Seems to me that if they did that in the first place, there wouldn't be any controversy at all.
-JP

Makes too much sense. Welcome back.

This is absolutely not what the PGA needs.

Why not? A little controversy can gin up some interest. There are those that will tune in hoping to see Phil play better, play worse, make a strong comment during an interview, or maybe kick McCarron's ass.

Kevin

I agree with you guys about PM playing these because he can't get his new Callys approved. Maybe this all gets fixed sooner rather than later. Like next week.

I'm not thinking this is all a good thing for the PGA in the long run. Set alone maybe, but on the heels of "Tiger Attack" and the past banned substance junk that may rear it's ugly head again, along with the woes of the LPGA. I'd like to see some of the younger players come along and start tearing things up a bit. If Phil started kicking some ass, without the controversies, they could generate some real excitement.

they said on the golf channel that SM tried to contact PM... didnt say what the notes were or what they said... but so far no response directly from PM to SM... i think everyone is going to get lawyered up cuz PM threw around slander more than a few times in interviews...
do you think mccarron thought it was safer to call phil a cheat than to call out his bread and butter the actual tour itself for the ruling? i think it was a bad move all around

Actually the tour doesn't make that ruling, that is a USGA ruling that the Tour abides by.

I might be missing the point.How is it cheating when some are using clubs almost 30 years old that are legal.If you know anything about the lawsuit what it boiled down to was it wasn't the grooves that were in question on the eye2's but the distance between the grooves.That's info garnered from PINGs website.The bottom line is the better players will acheive results with whatever is in their hands.The ruling that caused the controversey was made on the basis of some skewed assumptions on FIR on the tour..The equipment mnfg.should be able to evolve they're product without intervention because they sell a lot more to the general golf propulation than they do to the pros.That's just my 2 cents and of course I could be wrong.

For a "gentlemens' game" they sure know how to stir things up amongst themselves. I have been watching the Euro tour, and there is very little mention on this particular issue. That, or I have missed it.

As I understand it, there is a meeting scheduled early next week, and this whole subject of using these wedges is going to be discussed, and hopefully settled before the start of the next tournament.

Back