2013-14 College basketball thread (Spoilers)

It is always the same situation when Cuse plays Pitt. Pitt's defense is overly aggressive and they foul on so many plays and they never get called out on it. Yes, they are a physical basketball team and win games because of it, but they play border line dirty (not dirty in the illegal sense, just getting away with things that should be fouls). Cooney had some key plays, CJ took over in the last 1:30, and Ennis kept his composure the entire game like he always does. Yeah, maybe this was a "lucky" win, but I don't think it was. Syracuse has one of the best meshed teams they've had in a long time and they are playing incredible in close games. The only thing that will hurt them in the tournament is their depth on the bench. Should be a great March Madness, not that it ever isn't.

It was. However the only thing that I didn't like, it was obvious the shot was good, not even really close. But yet they felt compelled to stop and go check the video. It really took a lot of the spontaneous celebration out of it.

That said, the Pitt student section was phenomenal, the Cameron Crazies have nothing on them IMO

I think it is become mandated that even it is remotely close, the referees are going to check. I would rather have them error on the side of caution then not review at all.

Pitt student section is great, but I am going to disagree with you on the comparison to the Cameron Crazies.

amazing bball for sure!
i think Dixon made a big mistake by calling that TO and letting Cuse setup their offense, to get that last play in.
i mean...incredible and lucky shot by Ennis, but i think Pitt wins that if they don't call the TO.

Pitt looked confused on who to pick-up. Having coached before, I prefer to call timeout in that situation. Gives me a chance to set my defense - do I want someone defending the in-bounder, who do I want to keep the ball away from - making sure I have the right guys on the floor. SU wanted that ball to go to CJ Fair with Ennis the second option - so Pitt did a pretty good job of defending the play. Ennis pulling up just inside half court - I can live with that shot. The only difference - I would have wanted the players to push Ennis left and not let him go to his right.

Pitt looked confused on who to pick-up. Having coached before, I prefer to call timeout in that situation. Gives me a chance to set my defense - do I want someone defending the in-bounder, who do I want to keep the ball away from - making sure I have the right guys on the floor. SU wanted that ball to go to CJ Fair with Ennis the second option - so Pitt did a pretty good job of defending the play. Ennis pulling up just inside half court - I can live with that shot. The only difference - I would have wanted the players to push Ennis left and not let him go to his right.

The plan was to get the ball to Cooney at first, Ennis peaked over at Cooney when he was weaving down to cross half court and Pitt had Cooney double teamed so Ennis kept the ball. It was part of Ennis' interview when he explained what he was doing on the inbound. I agree with this, when you have a great PG just let them decide the game. Too much hand off and trying to set up a guy for a buzzer beater has too much that can go wrong. Let the ball handler who can shoot take control. It's a great year to be a Cuse fan.

The plan was to get the ball to Cooney at first, Ennis peaked over at Cooney when he was weaving down to cross half court and Pitt had Cooney double teamed so Ennis kept the ball. It was part of Ennis' interview when he explained what he was doing on the inbound. I agree with this, when you have a great PG just let them decide the game. Too much hand off and trying to set up a guy for a buzzer beater has too much that can go wrong. Let the ball handler who can shoot take control. It's a great year to be a Cuse fan.

Ennis looked for Cooney as he was going up the floor, but the original inbounds was to go to Fair. I have a feeling the play was going to be for Cooney or Fair depending on what Pitt took away. I don't think Ennis was the original option on the inbounds pass as Boeheim admitted it afterwards.

Ennis looked for Cooney as he was going up the floor, but the original inbounds was to go to Fair. I have a feeling the play was going to be for Cooney or Fair depending on what Pitt took away. I don't think Ennis was the original option on the inbounds pass as Boeheim admitted it afterwards.

Yeah Ennis wasn't the original go to guy, but I wouldn't have complained if any of those three were the one taking the last shot.

Most of the coaches I talk to agree with you. If they are the ones inbounding they prefer no timeout.

They feel their offense will have the edge in not letting the defense either make an defensive substitution or get their coverages set.

I think it is become mandated that even it is remotely close, the referees are going to check. I would rather have them error on the side of caution then not review at all.

Pitt student section is great, but I am going to disagree with you on the comparison to the Cameron Crazies.

Oh did I forget to mention I'm a Carolina fan :)

A very good ending to a bad offensive game tonight with Drexel and College of Charleston

Drexel inbounded (after a COC timeout) down 1 point with 3.8 seconds left.

Chris Fouch took the pass and went the length of the court literally right down the lane uncontested.

He got a layup off it time but missed it. He had to lay it up a bit higher than normal and it just missed.

Cant believe they left him that open. But I guess they were afraid to foul.

:banana: :blob: :clapp: :devil:

KU dodged a huge bullet tonight against Texas Tech. Won at the buzzer.

A great Calipari Gif!!!
john-calipari-provides-for-one-of-the-best-gifs-ever-against-ole-miss.0.gif

Syracuse finally loses a close one. Was hoping the first loss would happen Cameron, but I can settle for the second loss.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

About to throw my phone through the TV.

Huge stretch with no points and typical lackluster defense from this group of Dukies.

One of the worst I've ever seen

I almost wonder if they lost their legs in the second half. Shouldn't happen but they looked lethargic in the second half and it left me wondering if the extra game this week through them. Not an excuse but just a thought.

I almost wonder if they lost their legs in the second half. Shouldn't happen but they looked lethargic in the second half and it left me wondering if the extra game this week through them. Not an excuse but just a thought.

Not an excuse but is a valid thought. And I believe we should have played Dawkins at the end over Thornton. With how bad everyone was shooting I would have like to have our best shooter in the game during our drought

Not an excuse but is a valid thought. And I believe we should have played Dawkins at the end over Thornton. With how bad everyone was shooting I would have like to have our best shooter in the game during our drought

While I agree about having Dawkins on the floor, I thought they stopped attacking the basket in the second half, the offense got stagnant and they settled for the 3. So while I want Dawkins out there, I want them attacking the basket.

Who tried to split a double team when they were down 6 with a minute to go? Was that Cook?

While I agree about having Dawkins on the floor, I thought they stopped attacking the basket in the second half, the offense got stagnant and they settled for the 3. So while I want Dawkins out there, I want them attacking the basket.

Who tried to split a double team when they were down 6 with a minute to go? Was that Cook?

I agree 100 percent on that. When you go cold as a shooter you need to drive and try to get a layup or get the foul line so you can see the ball go through the basket and get a rhythm again. That is a problem with almost every Duke team when things go south they just start settling for 3s. Yes they may be open but you need to drive when you go cold.

Not sure who that was, sounds like it could be Cook. I almost threw my phone when Hood airballed the deep 3 and when Jabari took a 17 foot jumper when he could have driven the baseline and attacked the basket

I agree 100 percent on that. When you go cold as a shooter you need to drive and try to get a layup or get the foul line so you can see the ball go through the basket and get a rhythm again. That is a problem with almost every Duke team when things go south they just start settling for 3s. Yes they may be open but you need to drive when you go cold.

Not sure who that was, sounds like it could be Cook. I almost threw my phone when Hood airballed the deep 3 and when Jabari took a 17 foot jumper when he could have driven the baseline and attacked the basket

How about Rasheed Sulaimon chucking a 3 from beyond NBA range with a defender on him early in the shot clock and I think it hit the backboard first? I started yelling at the TV on that one.

How about Rasheed Sulaimon chucking a 3 from beyond NBA range with a defender on him early in the shot clock and I think it hit the backboard first? I started yelling at the TV on that one.

Ugh why must you remind me of these things. There was just a lot of bad basketball coming from that team. However I was pleased with Marshall's intensity and desire he played with. He might be the only one that I didnt have a problem with last night

Ugh why must you remind me of these things. There was just a lot of bad basketball coming from that team. However I was pleased with Marshall's intensity and desire he played with. He might be the only one that I didnt have a problem with last night

Plumlee was fantastic last night. Hopefully we see more that from him the rest of the way.

Back