Older Driver Recommendations?

As long as we are talking about slightly older clubs, how does the Rapture V2 stand up to today's models? It was way too steep in price to even consider when it came out and there is not much on THP about it. They seem to go for 180-200 now on Ebay, and it seems to me it was described as a very long and forgiving club for medium and high HCpers.

I saw a used Rapture V2 today at Golf galaxy, had a stiff shaft & was a 9º version, they were asking $55 for it & it was in very good shape.

Another vote for the Burner 07!

Took it out for a demo this last spring and bought it the next day. It's great!

I really like how it looks at address and the regular shaft feels good to me (I hit about 240-250 yd drives).

I saw a used Rapture V2 today at Golf galaxy, had a stiff shaft & was a 9º version, they were asking $55 for it & it was in very good shape.

9* is a bit ambitious for me- but the price is right. That was 499 new.

I think you can pick these up dirt cheap
burner-bubble-12.jpg

I think you can pick these up dirt cheap
burner-bubble-12.jpg

If that's the original TM Titanium with the bubble shaft, it was my favorite club ever. I have purchased a fair number of drivers and always went back to it until the last couple years. I have one in pretty good shape, and could go back to it and not lose a stroke.

Kevin

If that's the original TM Titanium with the bubble shaft, it was my favorite club ever. I have purchased a fair number of drivers and always went back to it until the last couple years. I have one in pretty good shape, and could go back to it and not lose a stroke.

Kevin
I'm not sure about what model it is.Sounds like you have a better idea.
I feel the same way about older drivers.I have a Cobra 310 ss tour that I play from time to time and since it's a smaller head I make better sweetspot contact than on some of thew newer 460cc drivers I have.You don't need that added forgiveness or higher MOI when you tag it where it's meant to be tagged

The Cleveland HiBore XL is a great deal and it is really only a couple years old. I have a 9.5 and an 8.5 Tour that I still take out every once in a while.

So how does the Hibore XL sound? I am a little particular about the sound. I owned a Nickent 3DX square driver for a short period of time but it sounded like hitting a soup can on a stick. So I got rid of it.

So how does the Hibore XL sound? I am a little particular about the sound. I owned a Nickent 3DX square driver for a short period of time but it sounded like hitting a soup can on a stick. So I got rid of it.

The sound is OK. Not classic, but not harsh- at least not comapred to the Nike Sumo2 or FT-i or the others that came out around the same time.

I bought the Hibore XLS when it came out and sold it pretty quick because of the sound so I get your concern. For me the sound on the XL was neutral. Not a selling point, but nothing that kept me from using it for two years. I still have it and still use it occasionally. I imagine the tour version sounds better.

Thanks Guys... I am going to wait a few weeks to see if the TM prices drop. If not, I am probably going to pull the trigger on the Hibore XL..

I'd say the Hibore XL definitely has the "aluminum bat" sound that some refer to. It's noticeable indoors, but not too bad outside in my opinion. I also don't think it's as loud as the XLS.

I owned a Nickent 3DX square driver for a short period of time but it sounded like hitting a soup can on a stick. So I got rid of it.

same here, I felt it was a horrible driver both in sound as well as performance. Tried to unload it on 3 different guys at work before I found a sucker..err I mean a buyer.

So I pulled the trigger on the Cleveland Hibore XL 9.5 S-Flex Fujikura Red...

< $100 including shipping brand new from Rockbottomgolf. I wanted to wait, but I just couldn't help myself. Should arrive mid next week, I'll let you guys know how it works out. Thanks again for all the advice!

I finally got around to hitting my new Hibore XL. It is ridiculously long! The sound is a little loud on impact (especially if you are hitting a bunch of balls in a row) but it is not too bad. But I think the Fuji Red shaft agrees with me, I've been able to launch this club loooong and straaaight.... thanks again guys for your advice!

good pickup Derelict!

I finally got around to hitting my new Hibore XL. It is ridiculously long! The sound is a little loud on impact (especially if you are hitting a bunch of balls in a row) but it is not too bad. But I think the Fuji Red shaft agrees with me, I've been able to launch this club loooong and straaaight.... thanks again guys for your advice!

Glad you like it!! You have inspired me to get mine back in the bag more often. Its a great club!

Glad you like it!! You have inspired me to get mine back in the bag more often. Its a great club!

TS, seriously I am loving this club... I have been at the range twice and the comparison with my old Adams Tight Lies driver is just ridiculous... I really think the Fuji red shaft makes a huge difference. I swing the club and stand there in disbelief... I love this game :D

Check Callawy FT-3 or 5. One of the best.

Titleist 905R

I've had the opportunity to hit a 905R and FT-3 since my last reply to this thread. They're very nice clubs as well. The FT-3 is very solid, and seemed forgiving. Just a very easy club to hit with NVS shaft.

The 905R has a great feel when well struck, and seemed very long for me.

Back