starting my third year...

asloankelly

Reaction score
Handicap
redheads.
of golf! what a beautiful thing. after playing to sub 100 scores last year, looking to graduate from my ping zings (which have been literally falling apart, no offense to ping, they're decades old) to something that can benefit my beginner game.

so, the question is, is getting fitted for a set of irons (ping, mizuno, what have you) a waste of time until I'm of the ability level to truly realize the gains to be had by such customization? lessons are a given, as I'm currently meeting weekly, but is any old iron set adequate for someone in my position?

thanks!

I think getting fitted for clubs is the first steps. Now as yo take lessons and such your fitting may change a bit.

Congrats and Welcome to THP. You have several THPers up in Michigan.

First off welcome to THP fellow Michigander!

Really, there is no wrong answer here IMO. If you think you are going to have a completely different swing after lessons, thus making your customized set not customized for you anymore, I'd say wait. But, if you are just doing some tweaks and fundamentals, I'd say go for a fitting, discuss it with your coach, and go for it! Best of luck.

Just don't succumb to ego or the temptation to buy too much of a "player's iron". Stick well within the game improvement category. That's what Zings were, if not Super Game Improvement. The Zing was a good forgiving club to start with. Ramping up to sexy blade will kill you.

You will get conflicting opinions on here but I firmly believe getting at least some advice on an *appropriate* set, and getting measured, will help you get the best out of your lessons.

I made the mistake of being seduced by irons when I got back into the game, I picked 3 or 4 sets I liked the look/hype of, hit them (not very well) and chose the best of those.
I also got measured and got a bit longer a bit more upright. I classed this as a fitting but it was actually just choosing between 4 inappropriate sets and I now feel let down by the store that all options weren't explored for what was best.
A year later, I had a proper fitting from a pro and I couldn't be happier with the gear, just annoyed at myself I didn't do it properly earlier.

My swing is evolving, my game is improving, I'm getting lessons but I'm happy that the current, properly fitted set allow me to make the most of my lessons and enjoy the game while improving.

I know that if you go with pings, and get fitted, and your specs change, they can be adjusted by ping to your new specs for a very reasonable price.
Zings were good clubs, but I think you will be happy with new technology. I took a 10 year break from golf and started up again 2 1/2 years ago with my isi's. When I upgraded to i20s, it wasn't night and day or anything, but it was a good upgrade in forgiveness, especially in the longer irons. I saw a set of isi's at a shop a few weeks ago, and I picked one up to swing it, and I wondered how I ever played with those clubs.

Back