New golfer, ned help deciding between GI irons

poisondonut

Reaction score
Handicap
Hello everyone, I just joined this forum to pick up golf tips and suggestions.

I'm currently using some 15 year old hand me down cougar left hand clubs (that were used by a very tall woman, so they have kind of been ok clubs) but now that I'm golfing at least 1x a week, I'd like to invest in some game improvement clubs.

I'm a left handed golfer, so finding good condition used clubs is a bit more difficult.

There's someone locally selling a set of taylormade r9 irons (steel), a 4-pw plus an A wedge for $215.

Alternatively, I've browsed the forums and seen the great praise for the Wilson Di11 set and there's a set on ebay (ebay set is graphite) used for around $200 bucks.

So, the graphite di11, or the steel r9's? Or is there something in that price range that has gotten better ratings/reviews for game improvement?

Thanks.

First off, welcome to THP.

From what you've described, you have a budget of around the $200 mark? Luckily, that's not a big deal. What's your handicap? Do you consider yourself a good ball striker? Many would say go get a fitting and so will I, but that may not be in budget. The R9 irons were pretty good, I went with Burner Pluses at the time (which you can get new for around $200 now) and they are super game improvement irons. I haven't hit the Di11, but Wilson makes real quality products.

Welcome to THP!

If you could stretch your budget to about 250, you can find Cobra Amp Cell sets on eBay. I played those last summer and really loved them.

And as a fellow lefty, I feel your pain!

The Di11s will be long & forgiving. The R9s will require a better strike, but are very consistent on their yardages.

Poison:

It would help if you gave more information on your self: Age; sex; height, location? Swing speed with driver if known etc.

Oob golf website s a good place to find what the most popular clubs have been over the last ten tears or so. A good place to start. If you are young and strong (swing speed = 90+) steel would be good. Will the person with the r9s let you hit them? Best of all worlds if you can try before buy. I am a lefty, I know your plight. you should be aware that you can get a new set of "Taylormade Burner plus LH steel" from The Golf Warehouse for $249. That is the going price in most large outlets, and most have a try and return policy. These are one of the most popular clubs commonly in use today. The r9s were a good club in their day, but outdated. $200? No way! I

f you are a beginner, as your Title, indicates, I strongly suggest you consider the Adams A12 OS irons. The set includes 5,6,7, hybrids and 7 thu gw irons. These clubs are very popular currently and can also be purchased new for $250 at the major outlets. I play RocketBladez Irons, and have just purchased the 3, 4 and 5 a12 OS hybrids because the are so easy to hit, are accurate and long. My life partner and two of my playing partners have the full set of irons, watching them caused me to try these clubs. I can think of no better club for you at this stage, male or female, young or old!!! Please go to a major Golf store in your area and try these clubs before you pay $200 + for anything else in that price range. If you lived in my area I would invite you to hit any of the rather large array of the club I own, but short of that I offer you any advise and/or assistance I can provide.

Good Luck but go slow!! There is very little market for used LH clubs. By the way, I and my friends are all seniors with a lot of golf experience.

I game Cleveland HiBore's which are a few years old but fall into the ultra-game improvement category. I love them and they could probably be had for the price you are willing to pay. You may also want to look into the Ping G series, and you may be able to find the G10's for the price you are looking for. The only thing with Ping though is that you'll need to know what color (based on height and wrist length from ground) you can play because Ping doesn't make a "one size fits all" set.

If you are limited to those two sets, I would go Di11's and not think twice.

I have gamed both of them and I dont think there was one thing I liked more on the R9s than the Di's.

The Di11's are phenomenal irons. Long, forgiving and not bad looking.

If you are limited to those two sets, I would go Di11's and not think twice.

I have gamed both of them and I dont think there was one thing I liked more on the R9s than the Di's.

The Di11's are phenomenal irons. Long, forgiving and not bad looking.

I will second this about the Di11s. Haven't hit the R9s though, so I can't add to a comparison there.

"Poison:

It would help if you gave more information on your self: Age; sex; height, location? Swing speed with driver if known etc."

I'm a male, 5'10, 28 years old, very strong. I'm on the peninsula in the bay area. I have not had my swing speed ever tested so I wouldn't be able to provide that information. I will read more into the Adams clubs you suggested and there is a golfsmith and a PGA superstore near me, so hopefully I can test out some clubs.

Thanks for your feedback!

You should check out the Adams 1208 tight lies irons. I have a brand new set for my back up bag minus 3 rounds. They are quality made, wide sole, offset, perimeter weighted cavity backs 4-GW. These irons hit solid and feel amazing upon impact. Almost as nice as my CB3s. They can be had for less than 200 bucks on ebay new. I urge you to check them out. Thank me later.

Back