Non-MC selectees and your goals

golfinFF

Reaction score
Handicap
21.9 oob
For those that tried to get into the MC and did not make it in, Did you have goals set for your game if you had been picked? Did those goals change after you didn't get selected? Did they change for the better or did give up on them?

I had goals set if I had got into the MC for where I wanted to be and since I will not be in the MC I changed them. I set the bar for myself higher than I had set it before selections ended. Why would I go and set loftier expectations for myself because I want to prove to myself that I can reach those goals and that I can compete at an extremely high level and tackle any course I step foot on.

I did not have a number in mind, if that's what you mean. I definitely had plans for how I was going to prepare my body and game, and had ideas about how I was going to configure my bag. The latter is completely n/a. The former has gone by the wayside - I just don't have anything close to the motivation necessary to put in the level of work I had in mind.

Goals for me remained the same. Win a THP event, finish high in publink, shot a 70ish score and get my hq into single numbers. Cup would have added more motivation but I'm still focused on these goals.

Grip n Rip
@bigtazzGOLF

LOVE this question!

I set a goal for myself as a 15 while trying to get into the MC. Now, that is STILL the goal, but the pressure of the goal has decreased.
I want to be there come July, that is still the time frame, I still break out the birdieball, I still do my takeaway, and pump drills, I'm still trying to gain flexibility.

But the competition urgency of the goal is gone, but the personal drive is there.
To be honest, fellow THP'ers whom I've golfed with in the past, I want them to notice the work I've done, I want my league to notice the work I've done,shoot better scores, I want to have more fun playing golf.

I want to continue my knowledge level of this game. I want to continue my improvement.

15 is not the end all goal, it is just the beginning!

To Be Continued.....

I want to play more, obtain a true travelling handicap, have more confidence in my game, play a much wider variety of courses, and meet a bunch of new people this season.

Well that is the short version.

I did not have a number in mind, if that's what you mean. I definitely had plans for how I was going to prepare my body and game, and had ideas about how I was going to configure my bag. The latter is completely n/a. The former has gone by the wayside - I just don't have anything close to the motivation necessary to put in the level of work I had in mind.

Why is that?

There are still several events left in the THP calendar that are selection only Wilson, Gauntlet and Grandaddy that will require great play IMO. The Gauntlet and Grandaddy will both be competitive events and require the players to be at their best.

I didn't get into MC but I'm playing in the Ocean City event. My goal is 10 pounds weight loss by the event and increased flexibility. Also 2014 is the year of the short game so I'm going to continue to focus on this as well. Have a good routine I've posted in another thread.

After all that, I'm gearing up to put myself in the best position to make next years MC.

LOVE this question!

I set a goal for myself as a 15 while trying to get into the MC. Now, that is STILL the goal, but the pressure of the goal has decreased.
I want to be there come July, that is still the time frame, I still break out the birdieball, I still do my takeaway, and pump drills, I'm still trying to gain flexibility.

But the competition urgency of the goal is gone, but the personal drive is there.
To be honest, fellow THP'ers whom I've golfed with in the past, I want them to notice the work I've done, I want my league to notice the work I've done,shoot better scores, I want to have more fun playing golf.

I want to continue my knowledge level of this game. I want to continue my improvement.

15 is not the end all goal, it is just the beginning!

To Be Continued.....

I challenge you to do it by OC dude I want to see that game of yours in top form there!

Why is that?

There are still several events left in the THP calendar that are selection only Wilson, Gauntlet and Grandaddy that will require great play IMO. The Gauntlet and Grandaddy will both be competitive events and require the players to be at their best.
The MC prep I had in mind went beyond normal game improvement. It was going to be a lot of work. Frankly, without something to work toward - the pressure, the expectations, not wanting to let teammates down, etc. - the motivation just isn't there. You see people come back from the MC saying golf isn't the same. Maybe this is the prequel version of that.

Most of my goals are still the same. Obviously the motivator isn't the same, but I still am working towards my main goals.

I would have found more time to actually practice and now that time will probably be used elsewhere or to play a round. Otherwise I will attempt to get into the Callaway Gauntlet and next years Morgan Cup.

I actually had the same goals before and after, I'm going to get to a single digit no matter what!

Same goals. I still want to get to the mid-teens. I may go run or lift when I could practice (which would have happened if I was in the MC) but I will still do lessons and practice. I think the practice I have done over the winter will help me hit the ground running once the snow melts.

My goals are pretty much the same as they always are...just keep getting better. Find weak spots in my game and work to improve them. Ive already come farther than I ever expected and it just drives me to keep going.

sent without the boss's knowledge...

Back