The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't take it. Got to get in some work before more snow falls tonight

So this wasnt on the range today, it was on the course. However I was actually glad to play a little bad.
Let me explain. Todays problem was going over greens. I truly believe with the weight shift drills and the pump drill panda posted im really starting to get the weight transfer right. Im more balanced, swinging easier and the ball is going about 1 club longer. So even though I was scrambling a good amoujt today I was happy with my progression .

Team Albatross has been working on their game. #AMartIsGoingToBeAwesome

20140301_134152.jpg

Hit the range today with a friend, I have a hard time loving the range, but with a buddy it's so much more fun. We ended trying to hit a 8 foot high sign 130 yards out with the drivers, stingers for the money!

Got to the range today with another THPer (buckbug).
Another good session, hoping it translates to the course if this snow ever melts.
Will have to check in with Freddie. Couple questions came to mind while I was there.

Working on putting again. Using the same setup that I posted yesterday. I added another alignment rod for ball placement reference and marked a spot on my birdeball for a consistent ball placement and marked my gates. Everything just ensures that I know I how I should feel when setup to the ball.

Just spent a couple hours at the range. It felt great to get out there and work on my swing. Really focused on a solid move through impact. Clearing my hips through impact getting my belt buckle to be down range at the target line. Firing my arms all the way through without my left elbow breaking down. Which had been causing my swing to wrap around instead of staying on line. I noticed when it felt best my finish was nice and tall. I'll keep working on it till I can do it with full swings. But the ball flight was something I've never seen. Normally I'm a wristy player with a high ball flight. With this work the ball is much more penetrating and very consistent tight little draw. No big looping hooks the entire time.

I finished up with 3\4 wedge shots with my 56. The amount of spin I was seeing was staggering, shaft lean and crisp ball contact I was seeing zero roll out these shots.

Here's my practice setup today. Gate drill and working on consistent set up position. Feet go just inside barely touching the white sticks, big toes bump up against the orange stick. Been working this for about an hour now and my back isn't sore at all. Last season much time spent putting would result in some soreness in my back. But nothing today. Shows me my time spent in the gym is paying off.

I am going to try this drill out. Thanks for posting.

So much truth to you're statement. He demands your best!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

That he does, hope we can tee it up sometime this summer.

20140301_134152.jpg

Yes yes yes

20140301_134152.jpg

Great to see you guys out working on your swings. Any specific things you are working on while you were out there?

Got to the range today with another THPer (buckbug).
Another good session, hoping it translates to the course if this snow ever melts.
Will have to check in with Freddie. Couple questions came to mind while I was there.

Looking good Andy!!

Was Alan standing when he took that picture?? :-D

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Looking good Andy!!

Was Alan standing when he took that picture?? :-D

Nope, that's an image grab from a video I took. My phone was on the ground, leaning against my driver headcover. Just ordered a smartphone holder that clips to my golfbag.

Buddy and I got to a local Simulator for a round this morning. The place I have been going to, double booked, so we decided to try this location which is literally 1/4 mile down the street from my normal spot.

It is obvious this place has invested some serious money into their facilities as it was incredible. They retro-fitted a warehouse behind their first facility to double as an indoor range and a baseball practice facility.

As for our round, we decided to PGA National - there is a lot of water on the course!!! Doubled the first hole and then got into a decent groove. Finished shooting a 77 with a couple birdies.

Was really pleased with way I was hitting overall. The Amp Cell driver felt great and I hit few around 303 off the tee. The new Bio Cell 5w is quickly becoming my favorite club, averaging about 250 with it. May ultimately end up adjusting to more of a 7w but I really like the way the ball comes off the club.

The shots that were an issue for me were 80 yards and in. The 60 degree is out of the bag so I learning the yardages on half swing with my wedges. That will come with time and practice.

Nope, that's an image grab from a video I took. My phone was on the ground, leaning against my driver headcover. Just ordered a smartphone holder that clips to my golfbag.

Nice!! You will have to show me next time we get together.

Drills drills drills into the net at work,

Stop drill

Fullswings

parallel drill

fullswings

impact drill

fullswings

Change clubs and repeat

I do not do parallel drill with hybo or woods

I got 12 days and two lessons before my first round of the year and I will be ready the best I can be.

Don't forget to stay loose dude. Let it fly and trust the changes when you get out on the course. You are about to have a really good season I think :)

I couldn't do strength training as planned tonight since I'm still recovering from Friday, so I just did stretching and drills. This thing I wrote a feature on (should be coming up soon) is made to work and strengthen the muscles that need to be engaged to turn and not slide, so I've been following that program and it's pretty cool. Still a ways to go there, but feeling stronger in the glutes and outer hip musles. Stretching felt good tonight. Was a little wound up from spending another weekend in this DAMN HOUSE.

Don't forget to stay loose dude. Let it fly and trust the changes when you get out on the course. You are about to have a really good season I think :)

Thanks Hawk I believe it will be as well. My coach gave me goals for the weekend up coming and they are lofty and if I pull them off I will have shot a new PB by a bunch of strokes. There is a little :D pressure there but it is motivation to not loose my swing once I step on the course and if I can keep my swing I believe I can hit those goals.

I couldn't do strength training as planned tonight since I'm still recovering from Friday, so I just did stretching and drills. This thing I wrote a feature on (should be coming up soon) is made to work and strengthen the muscles that need to be engaged to turn and not slide, so I've been following that program and it's pretty cool. Still a ways to go there, but feeling stronger in the glutes and outer hip musles. Stretching felt good tonight. Was a little wound up from spending another weekend in this DAMN HOUSE.

I look forward to this review.

You got this.

I had a pretty good session tonight. The thing I love about this game is I feel like I learn something new everyday. I just feel like I am continuing to put things together each time I pick up the club.

Hip glide/bump is feeling more fluid and comfortable. I hit less balls tonight and actually threw a warm up donut on the end of my 7 iron and worked on my finish position. I feel like it helped me continue to stretch out and get more range through the entire swing.

I'm excited to get out on the course and kind of just see where I am in the scope of things in a couple of weeks. This winter has been absolutely brutal. It's March, it shouldn't be -6 at night anymore.

It is terrible Brad.

Like the donut idea. Feeling that chest turn all the way through is something I am focusing on too.

I had a pretty good session tonight. The thing I love about this game is I feel like I learn something new everyday. I just feel like I am continuing to put things together each time I pick up the club.

Hip glide/bump is feeling more fluid and comfortable. I hit less balls tonight and actually threw a warm up donut on the end of my 7 iron and worked on my finish position. I feel like it helped me continue to stretch out and get more range through the entire swing.

I'm excited to get out on the course and kind of just see where I am in the scope of things in a couple of weeks. This winter has been absolutely brutal. It's March, it shouldn't be -6 at night anymore.

Sounds like you're making some very positive progress buddy. Love the sounds of that! And make sure you're thinking of me when you're down there and out of this ridiculous weather!

It is terrible Brad.

Like the donut idea. Feeling that chest turn all the way through is something I am focusing on too.

I noticed that it helped me feel the chest turn better. Then once the donut was off, I was definitely getting a much better chest turn. Still a work in progress, we're getting there.

I got some really good putting practice in tonight. I tried a drill I saw on The Golf Channel that Martin Hall was doing. Putting the ball right up against an alignment rod and hit putts without hitting the alignment rod. It definitely puts a very nice roll on the ball.

Also I spoke to the PGA Instructor that I lost touch with, really good news, he and I are going to set up a program to start in the next week or two that should carry me into the spring and outside. I am so stoked we connected again, because I felt it was going to be really easy to learn from him. I cannot wait to start!

I noticed that it helped me feel the chest turn better. Then once the donut was off, I was definitely getting a much better chest turn. Still a work in progress, we're getting there.

You can also do a drill with a medicine ball (I use one with a strap on it so I don't send it flying) or kettle bell. Turn back a little, bump, turn through. It'll really help you feel that turn and the sensation of stacking all your weight on the left side.

You can also do a drill with a medicine ball (I use one with a strap on it so I don't send it flying) or kettle bell. Turn back a little, bump, turn through. It'll really help you feel that turn and the sensation of stacking all your weight on the left side.

That sounds like a good one. The gym I go to is a lot of TRX and kettle bell type workouts, high reps, lower weight, no breaks. You wanna talk about a workout...

I've thought about incorporating yoga into the routine once or twice a week. Ya it's not manly, but the flexibility gained is worthwhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back