The Official Tiger Woods Thread

Hope you guys have enough faith in him to pony up the $700K for Fantasy Golf!

Me neither. What better way to shut the critics up then go out and win and do so on a course (despite the changes) that he has absolutely owned.

It'd be similar to the achilles injury 2 years ago when he went out and played tavistock and won Bay Hill. Granted that was a week later and not a few days.

Already did.
And will adjust when he WDs in round 2 on pace for an 80.

Slight FIFY

and I'll let it get back on topic with roids talk

Knowing the firestorm that a WD would cause isn't it most likely that TW did have real back stiffness? Have to believe that with all the questions he'll now have to answer from the media would be worth sticking out 5 more holes if there was any way to do so.

I think a good dose of cortizone shots will have him ready by Wednesday if it is a muscular issue. A herniated disc is a whole different story. It's tough to tell what the back spasm is protecting without an MRI. It really sucks to get them and you sure don't see it coming.

Knowing the firestorm that a WD would cause isn't it most likely that TW did have real back stiffness? Have to believe that with all the questions he'll now have to answer from the media would be worth sticking out 5 more holes if there was any way to do so.

Im not saying a word about the WD, because I believe I know what happened...But when in the world has TW ever cared about whether or not a "firestorm" would turn up?

I don't care one way or the other, but for what it's worth, the guy that does the Tiger Tracker feed on Twitter mentioned that Tiger was stretching his back out more than normal on the #1 tee before the complete blow-up commenced.

I don't care one way or the other, but for what it's worth, the guy that does the Tiger Tracker feed on Twitter mentioned that Tiger was stretching his back out more than normal on the #1 tee before the complete blow-up commenced.

His playing partner yesterday also supported this, saying he could tell his back was bothering him, picking the ball out of the hole gingerly and teeing the ball up.

Im not saying a word about the WD, because I believe I know what happened...But when in the world has TW ever cared about whether or not a "firestorm" would turn up?

I have know idea if he actually cares or not. Just was stating my opinion. I'd like to think that he would care.

I was watching it as he WD. The first thing that crossed my mind was would he have toughed it out if he was only two shots back? He wins the '08 US Open on one knee but can't finish 5 more holes since he is 10 stokes back? This seems to be the book on Tiger and its not a pretty read. He will have to take several weeks off just to save face now and not look like a quitter.
Was definitely what crossed my mind as well. If ya think about it the small purse he was going to take wouldnt really matter to Tiger.

Already did.
And will adjust if he WDs.

I have been trying to get myself from not clicking on that + next to Tiger's name. Doral has been his course.

I was watching it as he WD. The first thing that crossed my mind was would he have toughed it out if he was only two shots back? He wins the '08 US Open on one knee but can't finish 5 more holes since he is 10 stokes back? This seems to be the book on Tiger and its not a pretty read. He will have to take several weeks off just to save face now and not look like a quitter.

Risk versus reward in my opinion. Playing on one knee to win the US Open is a risk I think any golfer would take. Playing the last 5 holes of a tournament in which you have no shot at winning or even contending, isn't something that is worth the risk of severely injuring yourself.

I guess I just don't understand the arguments for calling him a quitter. Why would hit quit this past week when he was 5 over for the round, yet played all the way through at Torrey Pines a month ago shooting 7 over in the 3rd round? Just doesn't make sense to me.

Just my opinion though.

personally this kind of ticked me off that he withdrew even more than the fact that he played like crap. I had him for t10 or better for this past weekend and a decent round on sunday would have landed him there so I lost a few bucks but whatever.. im still a tiger fan.

Tiger is a pouter. He's done tremendous things for the game in helping its popularity grow, but this isn't the same tour that he was playing on 10 years ago. I don't think he can handle the fact that ANYONE can beat him these days. I have a feeling we're going to see fewer and fewer superstars because the fields are so deep now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tiger is a pouter. He's done tremendous things for the game in helping its popularity grow, but this isn't the same tour that he was playing on 10 years ago. I don't think he can handle the fact that ANYONE can beat him these days. I have a feeling we're going to see fewer and fewer superstars because the fields are so deep now.

Not that these guys are schmucks, but I think it is more because the purses are so high now. They can be millionaires in a season being 100th best. More of a motivation to keep their card, not to be the best. (The top ranked guys notwithstanding)

I understand that a lot of people can't stand Tiger...I get that, and I do not know how the below compares to other guys pushing 40, but is this really worth all the publicity when there was such a great finish and the story should be about Russell Henley getting a big win.

I understand that a lot of people can't stand Tiger...I get that, and I do not know how the below compares to other guys pushing 40, but is this really worth all the publicity when there was such a great finish and the story should be about Russell Henley getting a big win.

I tend to agree. Here is an interesting article about WDs and the players who make them.

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tour...hdraw-at-an-unusually-high-rate-our-rund.html

That surprised me, it seems like it's been more. I guess Tiger's WD gain more buzz than any other, might be aiding in that elevated chatter!

I tend to agree. Here is an interesting article about WDs and the players who make them.

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tour...hdraw-at-an-unusually-high-rate-our-rund.html

This is my favorite one:

Jim Furyk: One in 507 starts. Of course, he once pulled out before a tournament (didn't count as an official WD) for injuring himself brushing his teeth and was disqualified from the 2010 Barclays for oversleeping and getting to a pro-am late.

This one makes me happy, since he is Kansas City's other sports franchise:

Tom Watson: 1 in 610 starts! Sorry, Stewart, we're giving your "Ironman" nickname to Watson. You still get to keep the claret jug you took from him in 2009, though.

Interesting article. Yikes 38 by John Daly, yet he still gets tons of love from fans. Not one of my favorites.

Agreed, Henley played a great tourney and deserves the spotlight much more than the withdraw is getting. I think the WD was more disappointing than anything, I wish he'd come out and say publicly "I was thinking on the course that I can't possibly play any worse than I am right now and I've had enough! I fired Sean today!"

The Official Tiger Woods Thread

I'm sure a bunch or people have said something like this before, but it'd really help if Tiger put forth the effort to be more likeable. He probably wouldn't be so polarizing if the beaming star of our sport wasn't the the very charismatic and generous golden bear of Jack Nicklaus. Jack is a champion for the game and is so very likeable. I think that's why so many (myself included) root for guys like Phil, Zach Johnson, Rory, etc. is that (on camera) they have such pleasant personalities. We don't want our shining star to be a horny, foul mouthed, robotic interviewer of a person. But then again that's what makes the drama so fun. We wouldn't have these conversations over and over if he were a Jack, Phil, or Arnie.

As far as the story should be about Russell Henley, not really. I mean good for him and everything, but golf fans want (in descending order based on my best guess):
* Tiger
* Phil
* Majors
* Ryder Cup
* Rory
* Major winners contending (Keegan, Webb, Bubba, etc.)
* Best players to never win a major contending (Stricker, Westood, Donald, etc.)
* Upcoming youngsters (Spieth, Rickie)
* The hot story of the week (Jimmy Walker)
* Some pretty something or another on camera (Paulina, Gulbis, Holly Sonders)
* Everything else

I'm sure a bunch or people have said something like this before, but it'd really help if Tiger put forth the effort to be more likeable. He probably wouldn't be so polarizing if the beaming star of our sport wasn't the the very charismatic and generous golden bear of Jack Nicklaus. Jack is a champion for the game and is so very likeable. I think that's why so many (myself included) root for guys like Phil, Zach Johnson, Rory, etc. is that (on camera) they have such pleasant personalities. We don't want our shining star to be a horny, foul mouthed, robotic interviewer of a person. But then again that's what makes the drama so fun. We wouldn't have these conversations over and over if he were a Jack, Phil, or Arnie.

As far as the story should be about Russell Henley, not really. I mean good for him and everything, but golf fans want (in descending order based on my best guess):
* Tiger
* Phil
* Majors
* Ryder Cup
* Rory
* Major winners contending (Keegan, Webb, Bubba, etc.)
* Best players to never win a major contending (Stricker, Westood, Donald, etc.)
* Upcoming youngsters (Spieth, Rickie)
* The hot story of the week (Jimmy Walker)
* Some pretty something or another on camera (Paulina, Gulbis, Holly Sonders)
* Everything else

A couple things...

I may be REALLY wrong with this, and someone with more than my 35 years could easily correct me, but I seem to remember hearing accounts that Jack was never the amiable everyman, crowd favorite that Arnold was. I think it is easy to take Jack's competitive persona, and really the pre-scandalous Tiger persona, as quiet, competitive champions. Tiger didn't change post-scandal, the moralistic view of the person he was behind closed doors rubbed certain elements of society (large swaths granted) the wrong way, so now every action is viewed through that prism. Again, to each their own there.

My point was that Tiger withdrew from a tournament he was never in contention to win. He didn't break clubs over spectator heads, punch a playing partner, show up drunk, or anything considerably newsworthy. Hideki Matsuyama and D.H. Lee also withdrew this week...but no one cares. Russell Henley (who I would put in the upcoming youngsters category, ironically with twice as many wins as Fowler now) wins a tournament with a strong field, and everyone (media-wise) channels their energy into Tiger.

Your categories are close to right, but if I am the PGA Tour, I want Henley being discussed, not Tiger.

A couple things...

I may be REALLY wrong with this, and someone with more than my 35 years could easily correct me, but I seem to remember hearing accounts that Jack was never the amiable everyman, crowd favorite that Arnold was. I think it is easy to take Jack's competitive persona, and really the pre-scandalous Tiger persona, as quiet, competitive champions. Tiger didn't change post-scandal, the moralistic view of the person he was behind closed doors rubbed certain elements of society (large swaths granted) the wrong way, so now every action is viewed through that prism. Again, to each their own there.

My point was that Tiger withdrew from a tournament he was never in contention to win. He didn't break clubs over spectator heads, punch a playing partner, show up drunk, or anything considerably newsworthy. Hideki Matsuyama and D.H. Lee also withdrew this week...but no one cares. Russell Henley (who I would put in the upcoming youngsters category, ironically with twice as many wins as Fowler now) wins a tournament with a strong field, and everyone (media-wise) channels their energy into Tiger.

Your categories are close to right, but if I am the PGA Tour, I want Henley being discussed, not Tiger.

You are dead right about Nicklaus FWIW.

Sadly its the good and the bad with TW. He is the top story. Heck, we watched his fans in this very forum when Jimmy Walker was winning say the season started the first week Tiger tees it up. So its terrible, but it is the story.

Its the Sportscenter world we live in. Watch the ticker and they show the top 10. And then they show what place Tiger is in. There is a Tiger tracker for crying out loud. For all the knocks the media put out about too much Tiger when other guys are there, they are the ones to blame. The big golfer that is paying attention to the Honda does want to hear more about it.

But regardless of the great finish and awesome tourney, his fans (usually) are the first ones asking "what is going on with Tiger". Because the rest of the tour is secondary to them. Again, I am speaking of the casual golfer, not necessarily those on THP, but it rings true to an extent.

A couple things...

I wasn't really speaking entirely for myself and am trying to think of the entire golfing nation as a whole. I have no clue about Jack in the olden days, just what I know of him now and what I see of him on camera. Who knows, when Tiger is Jack's age, he may be just as charismatic reliving the golden days commentating with Phil on camera talking about how they used to could hit the ball a lot farther before the ball started be regulated (my wishful thinking for the future).

Anyway, golf fans have a relatively short memory and even lower breadth of knowledge when it comes to most things in the golf world. Most people look at John Daly (for example) and see a weird, poorly dress uncouth person of a man when in fact he's very generous when it comes to charity work and is a big advocate of the game. Unfortunately for Tiger he will be remembered for whether or not he is able to pass Jack, and if it doesn't it'll keep coming back to the whole scandal thing and "never was able to overcome it" talk. Unless Phil is able to win a US Open, he'll become the next Greg Norman instead of the next Arnie.

If I'm the PGA Tour, I'm up a tough creek without a very big paddle because the ratings show over and over again that any tournament plus Phil or Tiger is a major advantage. There are a few odds and ends like the match play and some other things. They'll also have a hard time changing the image of pro golfers being over pampered, spoiled athletes because of the huge purses and usually perfect playing conditions (courses not weather). My putting is always better when I play on an expensive course because they have the funds to keep their greens as smooth as a baby's behind, but I have to play $30-50 golf (which is still a lot of money to some people) and have to deal with whatever course conditions and over crowded courses I can get on because of my budget.

Not sure if there's a point in all that. Just thoughts for discussion mostly.

Back