Long Putter to Standard Conversion, can this work?

pollock21

Reaction score
Handicap
I've searched and found some old threads, but nothing with a lot of detail, and nothing recent. I have a Scotty Kombi 48" broomstick I've been trying to sell with no takers. Seems the value on these have tanked with the ban.

I love this putter and don't want it to go, and I love the head as well. I've been investigating the possibility of keeping it and maybe reshafting the thing to play it at standard. Also considering cutting down the stock shaft to maybe 36-37" and putting one of the big mid counterbalance grips on it. I think the head is heavy enough that this option may work similar to a tank or something like that. Lie angle will likely have to be flattened a bit for that method, but it's an option I have in my head and may be the simplest.

I'm not too worried about having a really heavy head as I like the feel of a heavy head in my putters.

Have any of you successfully completed anything like this? What did you do? How did it turn out?

I can't find the specs on the head weights but I would think turning it into a 37/38" counter balanced putter would work very well.

I converted a belly putter to counterbalance putter and it works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I checked the bottom of the club and no numbers on the weights. I believe the head weight is around 390 grams or so from what I've researched. I really think the counterbalance method would be worth a shot.

I think it can be done.

I converted a Ping Pickemup belly putter into a 37" putter. I put on a super stroke belly putter grip and it worked just fine. Although I just bought a new putter, I'm keeping the Ping as a back up.

I've searched and found some old threads, but nothing with a lot of detail, and nothing recent. I have a Scotty Kombi 48" broomstick I've been trying to sell with no takers. Seems the value on these have tanked with the ban.

I love this putter and don't want it to go, and I love the head as well. I've been investigating the possibility of keeping it and maybe reshafting the thing to play it at standard. Also considering cutting down the stock shaft to maybe 36-37" and putting one of the big mid counterbalance grips on it. I think the head is heavy enough that this option may work similar to a tank or something like that. Lie angle will likely have to be flattened a bit for that method, but it's an option I have in my head and may be the simplest.

I'm not too worried about having a really heavy head as I like the feel of a heavy head in my putters.

Have any of you successfully completed anything like this? What did you do? How did it turn out?

Lie angle would have to be bent a ton unless you play very upright standard putters - probably in the vicinity of 8 degrees. I would not bend a shaft that far.

From what I've found; Kombi-s and Kombi mid are 4* loft and 71* lie angle--Kombi long are 4* and 78 or 79* lie. It would be a fairly straight over stroke with that much of an upright angle.
Son-in-law gave me a Kombi-s a couple weeks ago to "try" ( he's trying to mess up my putting even more). Fooled him and have been unconscious on the greens. First Scotty I've been comfortable with.

The lie angle is definitely the issue I'm most unsure of. The plus side is putter shafts are cheap so if I snap one off bending it can easily be replaced. The downside would be if playability would suffer with the amount of bend. I guess there's only one way to find out. Could always get it bent down to maybe around 73-74 and see if it works.

I'm open to shaft options as well. I read somewhere that people were doing this with single bend shafts. Not 100% sure yet which way to go with it.

I converted a belly putter to counterbalance putter and it works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did the same with a scotty and it works really well also.

The lie angle is definitely the issue I'm most unsure of. The plus side is putter shafts are cheap so if I snap one off bending it can easily be replaced. The downside would be if playability would suffer with the amount of bend. I guess there's only one way to find out. Could always get it bent down to maybe around 73-74 and see if it works.

I'm open to shaft options as well. I read somewhere that people were doing this with single bend shafts. Not 100% sure yet which way to go with it.

I am assuming you have a putter shaft bending bar?

I keep saying things like "I'm" going to do this and that, but that really translates to "I'm going to take it to my local club guy that does all my work". LOL I'm limited to grip installation at home.

I keep saying things like "I'm" going to do this and that, but that really translates to "I'm going to take it to my local club guy that does all my work". LOL I'm limited to grip installation at home.

Gotcha - I've done 4* before on my own putter but never more than 3* for customers - too easy to kink the shaft

So I looked it up...looks like your Kombi long is 500g headweight, 79 degree lie angle. I did a ton of research on building your own counterbalanced putter, and here's what I found. It seems most have success with a 2:1 headweight to gripweight ratio. At 500g, you'll need to find a pretty heavy grip and likely some sort of back weight as well, like the Tour Lock Pro. As an example, the DDL grip weighs 130g, so you'd still have 120g to go.

Of course, that assumes that all feels right to you. You may prefer a heavier head. Another option could be pulling the stock weights and replacing them with the lightest ones you can find to save a few grams.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back