Sposey549

Golfaholic
Reaction score
Handicap
Golf
I was wanting to know if anyone could give me some answers? I game a Cleveland Classic XL Custom with a Miyazaki JDL 6 shaft in regular flex. I was at a local golf shop and was swinging a Callaway X2 Hot driver with a Adila Tour Blue in regular flex. With the Callaway I was having to set the driver in standard draw position. Now with my Cleveland I have to set it to 1.50* open. Can anyone explain?

Driver Question

Were you slicing the ball a lot? Pushes to the right? Basically trying to figure out if your face was more open than usual. What's your typical ball flight with the classic XL?

My normal flight with my Cleveland is a straight shot with the face 1.50* open. The Callaway I had to close because I was having a fade.

I imagine it was a consistent fade through multiple swings? As in no matter where you were catching it on the face it was still fading. Was it a bad fade? Or just a little left to right action?

Driver Question

One thing that could be is the difference in torque between the two shafts. It may have been a bit lower torque then what you are used to in the JDL. Lower torque in a shaft can accentuate a slice.

Also, there is no standard of face angle between manufacturers, what may be neutral for one head, could vary from what is neutral in another head. That could explain why open is better with the classic but closed is better in the x2hot

Edit: I don't have the shaft specs in front of me on my phone, I can check tomm for you

Thanks dcbrad. The fades I was getting were about 30 yards right. If I put my Cleveland in the square position I get the same fade as I was in the Callaway.

Do you know the playing lengths for each?

I was wanting to know if anyone could give me some answers? I game a Cleveland Classic XL Custom with a Miyazaki JDL 6 shaft in regular flex. I was at a local golf shop and was swinging a Callaway X2 Hot driver with a Adila Tour Blue in regular flex. With the Callaway I was having to set the driver in standard draw position. Now with my Cleveland I have to set it to 1.50* open. Can anyone explain?

45 on my Cleveland and 46 on the Callaway. The torque on the Callaway is 6.4 the Cleveland is 4.3. This seems so odd to me.

45 on my Cleveland and 46 on the Callaway. The torque on the Callaway is 6.4 the Cleveland is 4.3. This seems so odd to me.

Did you choke down on the Callaway? That added length can accentuate gear effect as well, especially on heel.

Normal miss I imagine is a big slice, probably rarely hook it. What's your miss on the face normally? Toe? Heel?

I didn't choke up on the Callaway. I'm pretty solid on my Cleveland, at worst case I might push fade it. With the Callaway I was hitting it center on square and was push fading. I adjusted the head to standard draw and my push fades went straight like my Cleveland.

I didn't choke up on the Callaway. I'm pretty solid on my Cleveland, at worst case I might push fade it. With the Callaway I was hitting it center on square and was push fading. I adjusted the head to standard draw and my push fades went straight like my Cleveland.

It's interesting, that's for sure, but it sounds like you were able to straighten it out. That's the best part about technology today, you can fit a multitude of players due to adjustability.

Yes I agree. Every shaft maker uses different rating for everything. Maybe this is a great example. Then again maybe it's the length difference. Not sure but I would like to figure this mystery out.

Thanks dcbrad. The fades I was getting were about 30 yards right. If I put my Cleveland in the square position I get the same fade as I was in the Callaway.

Hang on a minute...

So you hit your Cleveland straight with the face angle set to 1.5* open, but you hit that same club with a fade when the face angle is set to square???

One thing that could be is the difference in torque between the two shafts. It may have been a bit lower torque then what you are used to in the JDL. Lower torque in a shaft can accentuate a slice.

Not since torque dropped below about 7 degrees.

Torque or degrees of torsional rotation, will greatly impact the feel of a modern golf shaft, but it directly will not impact ball flight.

It can certainly make you swing differently however.

The way torsional rotation is measured exceeds the rotational stresses put on the shaft by an order of magnitude, and does not reflect the amount the shaft actually rotates in the golf swing.

Yes with the face square I push fade and with the face at 1.50* open it goes straight. I know it sounds weird but that's what it does and I'm lost on this.

I am guessing but the Aldila shaft in the Callaway could be stiffer than the Miyazaki in my Cleveland causing this also. From everything I've read shafts are some what of a mystery from flex rating to everything else from company to company.

Back