Panda Tip: Tilt, Square and Flare...solid drives

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
I have spoken about spine tilt with a fee of the people I have assisted with tips. It promotes an upward swing path into the ball imparting positive trajectory.

You want to make sure your spine is tilted away from the golf ball keeping your head behind the ball. Grip the club with the right hand low, meaning come in from behind the club not on top. This will promote a dropping a natural tilt in your body to tilt to the right. It will also keep you square to your target.

With a stable base and spine tilt, you will be in a powerful position to uncoil, create leverage and and maximize stored energy through the hitting zone.

I like a little (left) foot flare at address. Anywhere from 20 to 30 degrees. The angle allows you to preset you left hip to clear and will allow for you hips to release off the line so you can swing toward your intended target.

A square back foot with restrict your back swing as well as help with the storing of energy on the back swing. If you turn into the right leg with a square foot and flexed knee it can harness some serious energy.

These three setup positions will help you store energy, maximize hip release and create optimal trajectory as well as finish your swing in a solid position.

e4enuzyg.jpg

Good info FK.

I like to see the secondary spine angle talked about.
With tch the knee flair it's also helps easy the tongue on that knee. Helps later in life :)

Great tip Freddie!!!

I started flaring my feet last year and it made a huge difference in my driving accuracy. I actually flare both feet a little as I have found flaring my right foot helps me maintain balance. Great tip Freddie, one I think is often overlooked.

I love Panda Tips. Thirst are things my pro has actually been trying to pound into my head and panda approval is a big thing for me. Thank you Freddie!

Thank you so much for the tip, Freddie!

Love the breakdown Freddie. One of the things I'm still getting lined out. Used to have a -1.5 AoA and trying to use that setup advice to help get that AoA to at least +2 or so...

Nice way to start a Wednesday morning!!

Thanks for the tip Freddie! I've also started flaring and I've seen improvement with my drives as well.

Great tips Freddie. Foot flare is a great way to gain some distance. I flared out a little more starting last year and gained close to 10 yards on average.

Great tip Freddie. I'll have to try the square back foot. I flare both and I tend to over rotate on my backswing.

Bring on the bombs.

Thanks Freddie.

Good tips Freddie, Im working slowly on the front foot flare, hoping to see some outdoor results this weekend

Great stuff here. I started flaring my left foot a little more towards the target(30*) after knee surgery a couple years ago and it definitely presets the left hip in the proper position to clear properly at the start of the downswing. It also takes most of the stress off the knee. The 10 degrees of spine tilt towards the right foot is a natural position created because your right hand is lower than your left. If you're trying to evaluate the index of a golfer you've never played with before, low single digit golfers nearly always have this 8-10* of spine tilt. Conversely, it is rare to see a golfer with little or no spine tilt shoot better than 85.

Great tip Freddie. I've moved to an open left foot at the suggestion of my instructor recently as well. I will say that I try get that angle of tilt, but it does feel awkward in the backswing to me for some reason. One of those things I struggle to maintain.

I have spoken about spine tilt with a fee of the people I have assisted with tips. It promotes an upward swing path into the ball imparting positive trajectory.

You want to make sure your spine is tilted away from the golf ball keeping your head behind the ball. Grip the club with the right hand low, meaning come in from behind the club not on top. This will promote a dropping a natural tilt in your body to tilt to the right. It will also keep you square to your target.

With a stable base and spine tilt, you will be in a powerful position to uncoil, create leverage and and maximize stored energy through the hitting zone.

I like a little (left) foot flare at address. Anywhere from 20 to 30 degrees. The angle allows you to preset you left hip to clear and will allow for you hips to release off the line so you can swing toward your intended target.

A square back foot with restrict your back swing as well as help with the storing of energy on the back swing. If you turn into the right leg with a square foot and flexed knee it can harness some serious energy.
These three setup positions will help you store energy, maximize hip release and create optimal trajectory as well as finish your swing in a solid position.

e4enuzyg.jpg

Great tips Freddie! At my lesson Monday, my teacher made those very changes to my set up. He noticed that I was not able to turn through the ball easily, nor far enough. I thought it was just age and lack of flexibility, but, my set up was actually restricting my release. He had me simply open up my left foot a little, turn into that firmed up, stable right side, and then release fully through the ball with my belly button ultimately facing the target. Wow! In my round yesterday, I was hitting drives distances I haven't seen in years.

This is great. I can't wait to put into practice.

Great Tip Freddie. Especially the part about gripping the club with your right hand to promote the natural tilt. I've struggled with this part the most and will try to incororate this.

Thanks Again.

Thanks for the tip Freddie. I am going to work on this tomorrow as I'm still descending on impact--and have found myself teeing the ball lower and lower.

This is a great tip, Freddie. One of the first things my instructor did with me was flare out that leading foot. It definitely helps clear the hips.

Freddie, if I keep these 3 swing thoughts in play I'm I getting the gist of it?
  1. Grip Low hand last to get shoulder tilt
  2. Flare front foot out a bit
  3. Square back foot and flex knee a bit

Great tips Freddie I'm looking forward to meeting you this weekend and to have you take a look at my swing.

Awesome Tip Freddie!

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

freddie what do you think about dropping your right foot back a bit to close your stance about 1"or 2" the problem with me is if im square im not flexable enough to get my back to the target i dont end up finishing my backswing and this seems to help. let me know if this is ok or if it will cause more problems then its worth.

Great tips Freddie! The spine tilt is something I've unconsciously started incorporating as a result of closing my shoulders at address, and it's really helped me hit drives consistently solid. Still working the consistency, as it's still a move that's only a few months old for me, but I am very encouraged by what I've seen so far.

Remembering to square my back (right) foot at address and flare my left has done a lot to help promote a draw in my swing. Unfortunately one tendency of having my right ankle reconstructed a few years ago is it really prefers to flare out, and I often catch myself with my footwork set up for failure!

Back