The Official 2014 NFL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't disagree with you. However in the current situation and not playing the "if" game, I think JJ made the right move by letting him go.

I do too. In this situation.
Its just a shame. I think they have 4-5 guys over the 8 million mark for this year and I would bet everything I have that every one of them was asked to come in and talk and all said no.

Some leaders will always be willing to do it, others wont. But there is a reason that the same QBs always seem to find the top talent around them.

I'm happy for Demarcus and hope he gets that ring, he does deserve it.

The irony in the whole thing, is that if a few "leaders" on Dallas would restructure, none of this would have to happen. Not necessarily about him, but in general.
But they did restructure. Rome, Lee and Scandrick all restructured. Costa is the only one I've heard of that refused and they are still debating on whether to release him or not. I'm not saying Ware needed to restructure his as well, but this "leader" was going to have no part in any restructuring.

But they did restructure. Rome, Lee and Scandrick all restructured. Costa is the only one I've heard of that refused and they are still debating on whether to release him or not. I'm not saying Ware needed to restructure his as well, but this "leader" was going to have no part in any restructuring.

Take a look at the top paid players. There are other names on the list.

Aren't those restructuring deals for cap reasons always advantageous to the players as well?

Holy Broncos.

I dont have any inside scoop, but I would put money on it that the Broncos are BIG TIME Players for Steve Smith.
They seem to be making great moves this off season!

Big QB Signing for the Bucs!

Josh Mccown

Aren't those restructuring deals for cap reasons always advantageous to the players as well?

Can be, but not always. Depends on team needs and how creative they can be. Bonus can be more which is great for top players. But I will use the example of Miles Austin. Not because he will be on the team or even in the league, but as an example. Restructuring for him would mean a pay cut. He is not getting a big bonus (unless a team is blind) and his salary would go down for the most part.

So you have to get creative and find a way to make sure the player can still maximize earning, without being the huge cap blow early on. It can very easily be done, but both sides have to want to get it done.

Glad DeMarcus is going to a great situation. Hopefully he gets that ring. The only other players who should have restructured is Carr and Mo.

The Official 2014 NFL Thread

Can be, but not always. Depends on team needs and how creative they can be. Bonus can be more which is great for top players. But I will use the example of Miles Austin. Not because he will be on the team or even in the league, but as an example. Restructuring for him would mean a pay cut. He is not getting a big bonus (unless a team is blind) and his salary would go down for the most part.

So you have to get creative and find a way to make sure the player can still maximize earning, without being the huge cap blow early on. It can very easily be done, but both sides have to want to get it done.

James Harrison was similar. Refused a cut and got less than Steelers offered when signing with Bengals. Ike Taylor just took a massive pay cut to stay with team.

Steelers are always restructuring player deals and aside for those on the decline it is always beneficial to players (ex: Big Ben, AB).

Less than 1 hour until the Bucs have to do something about Revis: cut him, trade him, or commit to him for another year. The last option seems extremely unlikely.

This salary cap and restructuring contracts makes my head hurt. I still don't get the dead money part of things. They cut Ware who was going to make $16M. They save $8M this year in the salary cap but then are going to lose $8M in dead money against the cap next year. And that $8M dead money goes no where??!! Crazy.

Carr would have been the only other one I see that would have made an impact. And I have a feeling they are going to need him to rework something for next year so saving some horses for when it's time.

This salary cap and restructuring contracts makes my head hurt. I still don't get the dead money part of things. They cut Ware who was going to make $16M. They save $8M this year in the salary cap but then are going to lose $8M in dead money against the cap next year. And that $8M dead money goes no where??!! Crazy.

Carr would have been the only other one I see that would have made an impact. And I have a feeling they are going to need him to rework something for next year so saving some horses for when it's time.

Dead money has to exist because without it, there would be no penalty to break out a lengthy bill and then cut a player.

Dead money has to exist because without it, there would be no penalty to break out a lengthy bill and then cut a player.

Ok, so it's a predetermined "penalty" to the team that cuts a player before a contract is over?

Ok, so it's a predetermined "penalty" to the team that cuts a player before a contract is over?

In a very simplified way. Yes. Next time I see you, I will explain it. With pen and paper I can make it rather easy. The best way to explain it is like this.

I will use this example because its easy. Guy signs for 5 years at 10,000,000 dollars and has on top of that a 20 million signing bonus. We know that the 20 million wont go against the cap all at once so the team is allowed to break that up in cap hit over the entire 5 years of the contract. So that is 4 million a year against the cap. Lets say after 3 years they cut him. Well they would still have 8 million remaining against the cap for the last 2 years. That is dead money. The 2 million a year is not guaranteed so the team saves that in payroll, but the 4 million prorated overall is still owed because it was guaranteed to the player.

Now keep in mind this is the simplest form and there are other factors and rules that play into it.

Ian Rapaport has reported that there are 4 teams in on Alex Mack... and the Colts are one of them!!!!

I know that doesnt mean they will sign him or get him, but just knowing that tickles my fancy. He's been my dream all off season... Sweet Baby Jesus... if this happens, you guys might see me streaking through your neighborhood.

Less than 1 hour until the Bucs have to do something about Revis: cut him, trade him, or commit to him for another year. The last option seems extremely unlikely.

He'll be cut incredibly likely. He doesn't want to take a pay cut, the Bucs don't want to pay him that, and no team is going to want to foot that bill either. Just seems like a fantastic move by the Bucs last year for spending all that money to get him....

I read earlier, cant remember from who, that the Falcons, Giants, and 2 other teams had called about Revis. I want nothing to do with him.

In a very simplified way. Yes. Next time I see you, I will explain it. With pen and paper I can make it rather easy. The best way to explain it is like this.

I will use this example because its easy. Guy signs for 5 years at 10,000,000 dollars and has on top of that a 20 million signing bonus. We know that the 20 million wont go against the cap all at once so the team is allowed to break that up in cap hit over the entire 5 years of the contract. So that is 4 million a year against the cap. Lets say after 3 years they cut him. Well they would still have 8 million remaining against the cap for the last 2 years. That is dead money. The 2 million a year is not guaranteed so the team saves that in payroll, but the 4 million prorated overall is still owed because it was guaranteed to the player.

Now keep in mind this is the simplest form and there are other factors and rules that play into it.
So is that $8M in dead money for Ware going to Ware next year?

They will cut him and it sounds like Denver is after him

I read earlier, cant remember from who, that the Falcons, Giants, and 2 other teams had called about Revis. I want nothing to do with him.
I doubt the Giants do either. I think their call, and I heard they did call, was more from a due diligence standpoint.

So is that $8M in dead money for Ware going to Ware next year?

Was already paid. Money already out the door but allowed to count to the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back