PING Karsten TR Putter Review Thread

Hawk

Master Painter
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Keep an eye on the home page for a full review of the new Karsten TR from PING. Many of you are already familiar with the TR insert from this forum review thread. There are some key differences in the Karsten TR series compared to the first iteration of the True Roll technology. Rather than an insert, the Karsten series has milled variable depth grooves. In addition, there are only five head shapes and all are classic PING designs. Lastly, the finish is a copper PVD that adds a little class and makes them very unique aesthetically.

The model I'm reviewing is the Anser 2, designed for a slight arc stroke, and featuring a plumbers neck hosel. This is the adjustable version, which can accommodate lengths from 31 to 38 inches.

Tech info from PING:

Spoiler
Some of PING’s most successful, timeless and tour-proven head designs are showcased in the five Karsten TR (True Roll) putters. Variable-depth grooves are milled directly into the face, providing unmatched distance control. Grooves are deepest in the center and shallower toward the perimeter for greatly improved ball-speed consistency and distance control, leading to more putts made and fewer three-putts. PING studies show an increase in ball-speed consistency of nearly 50% compared to a non-grooved face when measured at nine points across the face.

An elastomer back-cavity insert enhances sound and feel for valuable auditory feedback. Available in a fixed-length shaft (35" is standard) or an adjustable version that can be modified between 31" and 38" to optimize fitting accuracy prior to a round.

Karsten TR putters fit all three stroke types: straight, slight arc, and strong arc, which are easily identified by color-coded shaft labels. Results from hundreds of player and robot tests at PING show that you’ll putt more consistently when your putter balance matches your stroke type. The distinctive copper PVD finish is non-glare to eliminate distractions.

Specs are below:

Putter Type Conventional
Standard Length 35.00"
Length Range w/ Adjustable Shaft 31.00" - 38.00"
Lie Angle Range ±4°
Head Weight 345g
Stroke Type Slight Arc
MSRP

Please feel free to chime in with any feedback or thoughts you have from trying out this line.

DSCN4492-L.jpg

DSCN4493-L.jpg

DSCN4479-L.jpg

DSCN4478-L.jpg

DSCN4483-L.jpg

DSCN4486-L.jpg

DSCN4496-L.jpg

Ooh. I like the finish. Is that similar to the honeydew like finish on that Cameron you have Hawk? Or is more like a penny bronze? It's pretty whatever it is.

That insert is pretty solid looking as well

Loving the finish as well. Really sharp looking.

• Staff
Ooh. I like the finish. Is that similar to the honeydew like finish on that Cameron you have Hawk? Or is more like a penny bronze? It's pretty whatever it is.

That insert is pretty solid looking as well

Not like the honey dipped. This is a copper PVD. Very much a copper color.

Ahh ok. The first couple photos in the light were very honey like. It's definitely pretty.

• Staff
Light definitely changes it up. It's a sharp look. Appears durable, though the shiny sole is bound to get scratched up.

Sure a pretty putter. I am really curious on this as much as I like the Scottsdale TRs. Look forward to your review.

Light definitely changes it up. It's a sharp look. Appears durable, though the shiny sole is bound to get scratched up.

Oh yeah, that has no chance on top dressed greens. However, it's a golf club. It's meant to get some surface scratches, it has no choice. Same with the face, just hopefully very very light.

Alright I have to be straight with you....I think I might have fallen in love! What an absolutely beautiful and functional putter!

One thing that came up a few times in the preview thread was some comments about a 'hot' roll off the face. I'll be upfront and say I don't necessarily believe in that type of thing, buuuut I will say this - it's a heavy feeling putter. I think that has to be due in part to the adjustable shaft and the midsize grip it comes with. It's a weighty flat stick. Maybe that has something to do with those comments, though I didn't notice anything unusual during a little 20 minute putting session. Very smooth through the stroke for me and seems to feel very nice with a soft ball.

Nice little preview Hawk, looking forward to your review. Love the finish as well. Very interested in the adjustability.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I live for that insert. Probably my favorite insert available. Good luck hawk

I love that color

Wow that sure is purty. Ponder mode engaged

Tappin it up

Interesting color. I am a big fan of the height adjustability.

I live for that insert. Probably my favorite insert available. Good luck hawk

The insert was good, now with them milled into the face, they're even better.

I'll post some thoughts tomorrow. Though the new line is easily one of my favorites out right now. Ping have a winner.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Love that finish and man do I love the TR

Hawk, it's like you're reading my mind or something. I was thinking of putting this exact putter in my bag! Seen Hunter with it and it looked interesting.

Bought the Anser 5 last weekend and had mucho success with it through 36 holes. Insert feels good and rolls the ball true. If I had to predict the future I would say it's a permanent spot in the bag. And the copper finish is just gorgeous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dang you and James are banging out the reviews.

Oh wow. That is gorgeous, Hawk. Freaking club looks amazing. While I was not fond of how they did their adjustable putters last year and had issue with making sure the shaft was straight and what length I was gaming it at, I love the concept of being able to adjust it.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Oh snap that thing is purdy!

I want one that looks like Bubba's

If Hawk doesn't deliver any outrageous negative aspects of this putter, then the B60 leftie will be in my bag soon! :)

Sent from my Ericsson Hotline 900

Oh wow. That is gorgeous, Hawk. Freaking club looks amazing. While I was not fond of how they did their adjustable putters last year and had issue with making sure the shaft was straight and what length I was gaming it at, I love the concept of being able to adjust it.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

The adjustable part is definitely a neat concept. I want to see how it actually works though.

If Hawk doesn't deliver any outrageous negative aspects of this putter, then the B60 leftie will be in my bag soon! :)

Sent from my Ericsson Hotline 900

Stay tuned. Love that B60 shape by the way.

Back