Driver results...just got back from Golfsmith

robmypro

Reaction score
As some of you may know, I had a less than encouraging experience with my Ping Eye 2 driver last weekend. Long story short - I shanked 30 in a row. So today I went to Golfsmith to see if I could try a few clubs. GS wasn't very busy, and there was just one other person in the bay I was using. The two fitters were busy, but I was shooting the **** with the other guys, trying different clubs.

I must say that it was a very good experience. I got to try the Bertha, Bio Cell, G25, and a few others. I made sure I had warmed up before I left. It was amazing how horribly I hit the new equipment. Everything was low and to the left, which was quite similar to what I saw last weekend.

Eventually a GS fitter came over and asked me if I needed any help. I told him that honestly I am in the wrong bay. I need to be on the end, where the Golftec guy was. He chuckled, and asked if I would like to be introduced to him. I declined, as I had previously spoken to the Golftec guy on another occasion.

Ultimately, this was a very good experience. No club is going to fix the issues I currently have, so my only option at this point is lessons. Doing this experiment today only solidified that in my mind. I also see in living color the limits of my indoor range. This is going to be a great setup to practice, once I have developed a decent swing. Until then, it could do more harm than good.

Don't interpret this post to mean I am discouraged, because I am not. I just have a much more realistic view of what this is going to take. I am up for it!

It takes a smart man to fix his swing and not buy new equipment. Good luck to you.

Thanks Scrap. All the information I read here about this equipment from James, JD Hawk and others helped me feel confident going in that these were good, forgiving clubs. Not being about to hit them erased any doubt that it was the equipment. So that definitely helped. Sometimes you just have to accept things the way they are, and act accordingly. This is one of those times!

It takes a smart man to fix his swing and not buy new equipment. Good luck to you.

I have to agree with you here! If it's something in your swing that needs fixed before you get fit, you need to get it corrected. Why waste the money on getting fit then have to be refit when you get your swing corrected......great choice

I know exactly how you feel. Despite the need for lessons, I can hit most of my bag reasonably well, but it has not translated into any sort of success with a driver. I've tried multiple drivers, a few lessons here and there and still had no success. It's good on you for prioritizing the need to improve skills vs listening to the salesman tell you how forgiving the latest and greatest is.

and as an aside, I have to say I like your bag. As of last month I'm now rocking a new at of G25 irons and woods, which personally I love, but played my dad's Ping Eye 2s through college and law school and those things were an absolute dream to play with. We're t quite fitted for me and I could still do no wrong with them.

Ping Eye 2s are still good irons. You can play good golf with them. My Ping Eye 2s were stolen, but I could smash those puppies. It is wise to wait on purchasing a new driver until you get a better swing.

Thanks guys! Everyone is so supportive - and so darn cool! Appreciate all the positive comments!

I think Golftec is in my very near fufuture. Thanks OH. I am doing it.

I am glad you guys approve of the Eye 2's! I bought them because I read so many good things about them. It is the same reason I tried the Bio Cell and Bertha. James said a lot of good things about them, as did so many others. Using that stuff,I just know it isn't the equipment. Early on I wanted to KNOW that the equipment was solid, so I would not be able to blame anything on them. Mission accomplished.

The Eye 2's are awesome. They feel so good. I am going to spend time at the range tomorrow, and I am bringing the bag, but I will not pull out the driver. My game cannot handle it righf now. Looking forward to seeing how the rest of the clubs do. Starting with my w and hopefully I will get to the 3i! Or not. lol

Low and to the left.. Ahh I remember that plague well my friend. Lessons will be your cure!

Why not start out by posting a couple videos on here and seeing if the THP gurus can at least get you started? Tadashi has helped many in the THP family and we are all rooting for you, what have you got to lose? Sometimes it just takes a different set of eyes and one or two simple tweaks to get you rolling in the right direction. That's one of the best things about this place, you may not ever meet in person but everyone has your back and wants to see you play well!

Take the driver! Keep trying! You've got nothing to lose.

Hey guys, I have been reading about the low hooks, and read tbat too long of a shaft can cause that. That makes a lot of sense to me, so I am going back to GS today to try drivers with shorter length shafts.

Hey guys, I have been reading about the low hooks, and read tbat too long of a shaft can cause that. That makes a lot of sense to me, so I am going back to GS today to try drivers with shorter length shafts.

A very flat shoulder turn with not staying down through the ball also adds to the low left swing. Most instructors should be able to pinpoint your particular issue within a couple swings.

Back