Will you still let them play.

I don't play with anybody that uses a anchored putter...belly or broomstick...there is only one or 2 guys I know of at my home course using them.

But if it came up....friendly game...weekly skins go right ahead...Club Championship or Club Match play...nope...thems the rules

Friendly games? No problem, use it. Tournament or money. Nope.

Wouldn't bother me a bit. Let them play what makes them their best. I would much rather beat someone who has they're "A" gear as opposed to hearing, "You only win because I couldnt use my putter." It's just golf. I've got 99 problems but an anchored putter ain't one.

Tapping away on my Galaxy 2 Note

I could care less what they play with. Belly putter, 20 clubs, croquet sticks doesn't matter. I'm there for good company and the competition is with myself and the course.

I don't care either way, especially after trying both belly and long putters in the past--there is no magic putter out there.

No issue, dont bother me a bit, they can use it all they want.....tournament nope

I could care less what they play with. Belly putter, 20 clubs, croquet sticks doesn't matter. I'm there for good company and the competition is with myself and the course.
I would draw the line at Croquet sticks if it were a match :) A Croquet mallet is the ultimate putter if it were legal :surrender:

Edit: so in reality I am ok with the current rule set as is and disagree with the change.

I'm the only guy I know that has even tried a belly putter, but I wouldn't have a problem with it if somebody else wanted to use one. I don't have any stats on it, but the season I used it I didn't seem to putt any better or worse than I normally do.

I'd let them use it whether it was friendly or for money or whatever. Don't care. In fact, I think I'd get pleaure if they did keep using it.

I'm with Hawk, play an anchored putter til you die. If it makes you happy and enjoy the game, go for it. If the tournament allow
It then I am all for it.

Now everyone that said no way to tourneys, how many times have you lost to a belly putter? Yes, I know it will be against the rules but take that out as your reason. And ask yourself how many events have you played in where an anchored putter beat you.

Golf at its core is a game that is played poorly by 95% of the people that play it. We come back because of the handful of great shots we hit in a given round. Who are we to deny someone that pleasure with a long putter.

I'm with Hawk, play an anchored putter til you die. If it makes you happy and enjoy the game, go for it. If the tournament allow
It then I am all for it.

Now everyone that said no way to tourneys, how many times have you lost to a belly putter? Yes, I know it will be against the rules but take that out as your reason. And ask yourself how many events have you played in where an anchored putter beat you.

Golf at its core is a game that is played poorly by 95% of the people that play it. We come back because of the handful of great shots we hit in a given round. Who are we to deny someone that pleasure with a long putter.

Well said Panda. 95 percent of the time I lose is because of me, not what someone else is playing.

Absolutely I'd let them play it, rules permitting, it would be a total non issue in my mind.

With my pondering of going back to a belly putter, I had a thought. In a little more than a year anchored putters will be banned. Now club houses will follow the ruling in most tournaments and events. However I believe alot of weekend worriors or golfers that dont play in a competition type setting will continue to use their anchored putter. Now with regular games most wont pay any mind to it, bit when it comes to skins or friendly wagers will you let them continue to use their putter?
If there's money on the line, you've gotta play by the rules so that's a big NO!

Love the fact that this thread is still going strong.

Question though. For the ones thst say flat out no, is it as simple as its against the rules or do you believe its an advantage?

I could care less, money on the line or not. There's simply no advantage to the average golfer to use one. I have yet to hear someone give a good reason why they banned them in the 1st place. "It's not a stroke" is the only real argument. The hole doesn't get better, and I've never seen a club golfer who used a belly/broomstick and it gave them an unfair advantage.

The data from the tour shows that it's not an advantage, even to the professionals who practice more in one week with the putter than most of us do in 2 years. If they were really an advantage, wouldn't the Strokes Gained Putting stat be filled with guys who use a belly/long putter? Instead there is only one tour pro in the top 10 who uses a belly putter.

I don't use one because I can't hit anything with it, but if it works for someone else, so be it.

Love the fact that this thread is still going strong.

Question though. For the ones thst say flat out no, is it as simple as its against the rules or do you believe its an advantage?
Yes, I believe there's an advantage on short putts - 10 feet or less, in the right hands.

And as far as it being an advantage for the average golfer, whose to say, but I guarantee you that if you have a guy in your group that plays with one and he has to go back to standard it's gonna mess with his head for a while and you're going to reap the benefits in a money game. :rockon:

What I'm REALLY looking forward to is watching the guys on tour that are using it now successfully and see how good their putting is when they have to change (Adam Scott I'm looking at YOU!)

So you're saying everybody that needs the belly/long putter to still play and enjoy the game should quit when 2016 arrives. Just sell all your your clubs and say good bye to golf. I think the rule change was stupid in the first place. There are many on the champions tour that say they will leave the game if forced to leave their current putters. What do you think that will do for the game of golf with legends putting their clubs down. Absolutely stupid damn rule IMO.

I completely agree, the game of golf doesn't need to impose more restrictions. The number of golfers is down, courses are having to be really creative to get golfers coming out, and keep them coming out. Maybe these restrictions should only be put on professional golfers so as to keep the game more enjoyable for us hackers. Just a thought.

I've never seen one on the course. In fact the only time I saw one was in a high school golfer's bag at a San Jose driving range.

To answer your question, yes I won't mind someone using one.

Is it also OK for if I use a non-conforming driver? I'm a 55yo short knocker who needs the extra yards.

Will you still let them play.

Is it also OK for if I use a non-conforming driver? I'm a 55yo short knocker who needs the extra yards.

Unless your driver has illegal etched onto the head, I wouldn't even know it was non conforming.

In my 25 years of playing golf, I've never seen anyone using a belly putter on the course, so I'd definitely let them play just for the novelty factor!

I've never seen one on the course. In fact the only time I saw one was in a high school golfer's bag at a San Jose driving range.

To answer your question, yes I won't mind someone using one.

Interesting question.. I wouldnt care honestly. 95 percent of my round is focused on what im doing dont really care what someelse is doing. Skins game as long as the stakes were with in reason.mmwouldnt care. However as kost have said tournaments are official rules and clubs only

They still have to find the line and speed. Putt away with your belly putter, won't bother me one bit.

You're welcome, I bet most people who even think about getting a non-conforming driver can't hit the fairway anyway :)

I don't mind anyone using a long putter, or any non-conforming club or ball, or equipment as long as it is a casual round and it won't slow the group down.

Back