Smithfaced

Reaction score
Handicap
The good news is that whatever I was doing in Hilton Head, I'm still doing. The bad news is that whatever I was doing in Hilton Head, I'm still doing. I had ZERO confidence standing over a golf ball today. I won't say too much because I don't want to guide anybody's feedback. I will say that the club feels like it's twisting around the top of my swing which is a terrible feeling. Thanks Freddie and everyone else who comments!

Still hooking it??

Jordan,
I don't know a fix, but it just looks like you are ahead of the ball. There are probably a lot of good tricks others will have to stay behind it.

Jordan,
I cant help you, but will say you have marvelous hair.

Still hooking it??

I don't know if "hook" is the word. I think a new name needs to be made for what I'm doing. One of these balls is going to hook back and hit me in the face. These shots weren't terrible but the contact was dreadful. everything out on the toe.

Jordan,

Well you made me laugh which helps more than you know at this point haha.

Jordan,

Don Johnson-ish

Freddie will save ya buddy, got some funkyness with that bag leg though....I should know cause mine isnt right either

Don Johnson-ish

Freddie will save ya buddy, got some funkyness with that bag leg though....I should know cause mine isnt right either

Straightening the back leg is a S&T thing that I may be taking a bit far. I mainly need to find out what is causing this stupid hook.

You have a really good move into the ball, but a few things I notice:

- the club face is closed on your take away. When your hands get even with your hips, the face of the club is nearly parallel to the ground (should be closer to perpendicular)
- At the top of the back swing the shaft is pointing well across your target line. It is nearly perpendicular to the target line when is should be pointing almost straight down your target line
- Your move to the ball is very very steep, but still inside the ball. Thus, the only way for you to get the club head to the ball is to flare your lead hip out to the left, pull your arms into your body, and then flip your hands through the ball

I think if you got into a better position on your backswing, you would automatically correct a lot of your downswing issues because you would no longer have to compensate to get yourself in position to hit the ball

And I say all of these things as a fellow THPer who is currently battling a case of the hooks as well!

Last edited:
check your hip turn & your left knee flex, pause your video at the top look at your hips & knees then look at the pic below...

inar021_watson_address_curtis.jpg

Jordan,

I read this before looking at the video. I just couldn't see past the hair :D

Jordan,

And a great follow through! I'm interested to hear what jedi master Kong has to say. I have a feeling it's going to be something concerning the 1st half of your swing (backswing and club position).

Two things stand out to me. I see a regripping of the club right before take away to a very strong position which naturally closes the club face. You might want to focus on getting the hands more on top of the club.

The other observation I have is the club is getting way behind you instead of going up. Focus on trying to keep the club in front of your chest by bending the right arm up. This should help with a lot of the hook spin you have.

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

You have a really good move into the ball, but a few things I notice:

- the club face is closed on your take away. When your hands get even with your hips, the face of the club is nearly parallel to the ground (should be closer to perpendicular)
- At the top of the back swing the shaft is pointing well across your target line. It is nearly perpendicular to the target line when is should be pointing almost straight down your target line
- Your move to the ball is very very steep, but still inside the ball. Thus, the only way for you to get the club head to the ball is to flare your lead hip out to the left, pull your arms into your body, and then flip your hands through the ball

I think if you got into a better position on your backswing, you would automatically correct a lot of your downswing issues because you would no longer have to compensate to get yourself in position to hit the ball

And I say all of these things as a fellow THPer who is currently battling a case of the hooks as well!

I wish I could go hit some balls right now. I was watching the video and messing around with a PW and realized that leaving the face closed was giving me the feeling of the club twisting in my hands at the top. I don't know if that's the answer to this crazy hook but it's possible.

It's really amazing how something so simple as grip and face angle on the takeaway can lead to getting even more out of position later in the backswing

I wish I could go hit some balls right now. I was watching the video and messing around with a PW and realized that leaving the face closed was giving me the feeling of the club twisting in my hands at the top. I don't know if that's the answer to this crazy hook but it's possible.

have you always had that strong of a grip in your swing? its not the end of the world to have a strong grip but you would have to hold off the release as long as possible to hit anything close to straight, especially with coming from the inside like you do.

if you weaken your grip up little by little i bet those hooks will turn into soft draws eventually.

have you always had that strong of a grip in your swing? its not the end of the world to have a strong grip but you would have to hold off the release as long as possible to hit anything close to straight, especially with coming from the inside like you do.

if you weaken your grip up little by little i bet those hooks will turn into soft draws eventually.

The hook is just something that creeps into my swing from time to time and I have no idea how to get rid of it. It just corrects itself eventually. The problem is that when it starts, EVERY shot is a hook.

Jlukes stated it best. I just watched the video and I would like to see the toe of the club more perpendicular. Your hands and left arm seem to be too far inside, where I would like to see them more parallel to your left shoulder.

As for the hair...do you mind sharing some??? I think you may have grabbed your roommates the volumizer instead of the conditioner! :banana:

The good news is that whatever I was doing in Hilton Head, I'm still doing. The bad news is that whatever I was doing in Hilton Head, I'm still doing. I had ZERO confidence standing over a golf ball today. I won't say too much because I don't want to guide anybody's feedback. I will say that the club feels like it's twisting around the top of my swing which is a terrible feeling. Thanks Freddie and everyone else who comments!

Talk to me goose...That swing is a product of what style of swing? Seriously..

I need to know from you what direction you want to go. Do you want to fix that swing or rebuild another swing?

You can play with a shut club face. You can play with the weight on the left side and you can play crossing the top on the back swing. But you can't play with that left leg action or that huge dip in your swing. You have the anti- Cookie swing. If you guys gave each other parts of each others swing, you'd both be dialed in.

So tell me what direction you want to head. And I will fix you up.

I need to know from you what direction you want to go. Do you want to fix that swing or rebuild another swing?

You can play with a shut club face. You can play with the weight on the left side and you can play crossing the top on the back swing. But you can't play with that left leg action or that huge dip in your swing. You have the anti- Cookie swing. If you guys gave each other parts of each others swing, you'd both be dialed in.

Freddie you are good my man. Not only did I chuckle a bit, but noticed things I didn't see the first time I watched Jordan swing.

Haha dude you crack me up. That dip in my swing has always been there but I've never tried to correct it. Crossing the top has always been there to.

All the other stuff started when the S&T lessons started. When I straighten my back leg my front leg seems to naturally collapse. At this point is rather start fresh and see what happens.

Haha dude you crack me up. That dip in my swing has always been there but I've never tried to correct it. Crossing the top has always been there to.

All the other stuff started when the S&T lessons started. When I straighten my back leg my front leg seems to naturally collapse. At this point is rather start fresh and see what happens.

your back leg should be flexed, if it straightens I believe you will reverse pivot

The first thing I noticed was the club face, but Freddie will get you straightened out.

The first thing I want you do is, at address you should be in a nice and relaxed posture. Knees slightly flexed, chin up, bending at the hips until your arms hanging straight down. Make sure your feet are shoulder width apart. Then as you swing, try to maintain that general feeling of the chin up, so your left shoulder can turn under it or next to it. Also keep the knees flexed.

Now here's the key, as you start your downswing and all the way through impact, keep your chin up, flex in the waist and flex in the knees and let your arms swing through. I don't care where the ball goes, I just want you to maintain your positions from address. But I think you'll find that that clubhead squares up through impact and you'll hit your shots solidly.
Practice these positions and the swing before every swing, maybe a few times. You have to ingrain that feeling and keep from dipping.

I decided to kick S&T to the curb. I had my first lesson yesterday with a gentleman who teaches more of a traditional swing. A lot of the things Freddie and others told me were things that he wants me doing. I'm going to be working hard on takeaway. I was using mostly arms in my takeaway and he wants me engaging my entire core if that makes sense. Also working on not coming across the line at the top, maintaining knee flex (especially in my back leg), and starting with my weight more centered as opposed to mostly on my left side. He wants me doing this pause drill for the next week or 2 until I can really get the feelings ingrained. Swing changes have always made me very uncomfortable but so far I've felt fine with what we changed. This was my first range session without him standing there telling me everything I was doing wrong so I though I'd post it to get some feedback. The changes already look pretty drastic but I'm comfortable over the ball again which is such a nice feeling. My takeaway may be a little too far inside still. These shots were taken in sequence and progressively got a bit better.

[video=youtube;Im_Hm6S51-0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im_Hm6S51-0&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Back