man originals are pricey and i cant afford that and golf and guns... all my stuff is clones but i do alot of research before getting them and i make sure to stick with 1 to 1 clones and not the 1 off clones... $50 a mod is much easier on the wallet than $200-$300 and up

if you are still craving then you might need to buy juices with higher nicotine content or a set up that produces a lot more vapor to deliver the nicotine to your system better...
craving has to do with the nicotine absorption... if its a physical craving
only time or an equal amt of nicotine can calm the cravings
if you are far from a shop my advice is to not go with rebuildables unless you do a lot... i mean a lot of research on how to diy
id say if i were in your shoes and the internet is one of your only options...
id look into getting a $40 magneto with a $12/$15 sony vtc 30amp 18650 battery and a $40 aspire nautilus tank... fill it with some of your fave juice at a decent nicotine level
works great for my brother and he's at 16-18mg of nicotine... used to smoke 2 packs of camel unfiltered a day during his 2 tours in afghanistan

So the batteries, I am guessing they are rechargeable? If not how long do they last? Also I usually use madvapes for products, any other places I should use? Going to order tonight.

yes they are rechargeable. the 18650 is a standard size. there's also a 26650 which generally has more capacity but not many mods are using it yet. battery life will all depend on the current draw you're putting on it.

honestly I don't think I'd go with a mechanical unless you get comfortable building your own coils. The reason is that you won't have any control over how hot your vape is. Some people like a cool vape, some hot, some in between... I highly recommend a variable wattage mod if you're going to use stock coils. With a mechanical, you have to build to a specific resistance to get the wattage you like. Even then, the wattage will change quite a bit as the battery discharges.

I have two variable wattage mods. itaste 134 and itaste MVP. the first uses the same 18650 battery. the second has a built in non-replaceable battery. combined, I paid less for those two than I paid for my mech. I use them just as much, if not more than my mechanical because they are just more consistent. Even with my rebuildables.

yes they are rechargeable. the 18650 is a standard size. there's also a 26650 which generally has more capacity but not many mods are using it yet. battery life will all depend on the current draw you're putting on it.

honestly I don't think I'd go with a mechanical unless you get comfortable building your own coils. The reason is that you won't have any control over how hot your vape is. Some people like a cool vape, some hot, some in between... I highly recommend a variable wattage mod if you're going to use stock coils. With a mechanical, you have to build to a specific resistance to get the wattage you like. Even then, the wattage will change quite a bit as the battery discharges.

I have two variable wattage mods. itaste 134 and itaste MVP. the first uses the same 18650 battery. the second has a built in non-replaceable battery. combined, I paid less for those two than I paid for my mech. I use them just as much, if not more than my mechanical because they are just more consistent. Even with my rebuildables.

The batteries (bottom piece) I have now are variable volt. I can switch between 3 different settings depending on the coil. It just does not do it for me, short term yes but not long term. I guess I am wanting something that can deliver a nice big hit ( it's all mental for me as I am quitting for the 2nd time ) This stuff is almost to confusing without a local shop to defer to.

it's all about ohm's law. get to know that calculation and the rest should make sense :). Watts is the only number that *really* matters to the quality of your vape. The rest (voltage, resistance, amps, etc) are just factors in the equation.

variable wattage is much better than variable voltage. You get finer control over your vape and you don't have to do the calculation in your head

If you're looking for a bigger hit, but don't have access to a shop, you could do the best of both worlds and get a variable wattage device, and then a rebuildable to put on it. That's what I use. I have a trident RDA(rebuildable dripping atomizer) on my MVP V2. I run at about 10.5 watts on a 1.5 ohm coil and it's perfect. But, I want to get an RTA(rebuildable tank atomizer) so that I can get the vapor and flavor I want, but with the convenience of not having to drip every 5 to 6 hits. Plus, this gives you the opportunity to build coils to your heart's content, while figuring out what works for you. Them, after you're used to building coils, and know what you like, then you can move into a mechanical mod.

for what it's worth, the resistance of the coil matters very little when you're controlling the wattage digitally. The electronics simply measure the resistance, then alter the voltage to produce the desired wattage. for a given wattage, a 1 ohm coil will burn just like a 2 ohm coil (or anything in between), just at different voltages. For example, at 15 watts, a 1.5 ohm coil will cause the vreg to raise the output voltage to 4.75ish. a 2 ohm coil would run at 5.5v. a 1 ohm would be 3.9v. the real differences in the different builds would be surface area and lag time in reaching max heat. that's a lot more about the gauge of wire, not the resistance although the two do go hand-in-hand in some respects.

for what it's worth, the resistance of the coil matters very little when you're controlling the wattage digitally. The electronics simply measure the resistance, then alter the voltage to produce the desired wattage. for a given wattage, a 1 ohm coil will burn just like a 2 ohm coil (or anything in between), just at different voltages. For example, at 15 watts, a 1.5 ohm coil will cause the vreg to raise the output voltage to 4.75ish. a 2 ohm coil would run at 5.5v. a 1 ohm would be 3.9v. the real differences in the different builds would be surface area and lag time in reaching max heat. that's a lot more about the gauge of wire, not the resistance although the two do go hand-in-hand in some respects.

I'm not an electrical engineer, but I don't doubt what you are saying. What I was really getting at was that if he starts with a vw device, he can get his practice building different coils, without having to worry about blowing up his battery. Once that skill is more highly developed, and he figures out where he likes his vape, he can then go to a mech, understanding what kind of coil and at what resistance he is going to need to get the power he wants out of the battery. Or, am I way off base here? Remember, I haven't ventured into mech yet because I want my coil building skills to be a little more refined before I do.

you're not off base - you're right on. I wasn't meaning to be argumentative, just informative. I have an EE background that makes me a bit more geeky than your average bear when it comes to this stuff. I'm definitely not a vaping expert, still figuring out how different juices react to the different heat, etc. But I can design a mean circuit ;)

as an added note - we should always be sure to check the maximum current draw for a given battery, regardless of mech or digital mod. these guys out there running 0.25 ohm coils and the like are pulling really high amps (and wattages!) and are at high risk of killing their batteries or even worse causing them to rupture or explode.

unrelated, but I saw this today: http://www.littupcustommods.bigcartel.com/product/nes-dna20-mod and I'm thinking about building one myself. I can do it for less than $100 worth of parts, shipping included. and that site has a waiting list. I could save money and time by DIY... serious ponder mode engaged

you're not off base - you're right on. I wasn't meaning to be argumentative, just informative. I have an EE background that makes me a bit more geeky than your average bear when it comes to this stuff. I'm definitely not a vaping expert, still figuring out how different juices react to the different heat, etc. But I can design a mean circuit ;)

as an added note - we should always be sure to check the maximum current draw for a given battery, regardless of mech or digital mod. these guys out there running 0.25 ohm coils and the like are pulling really high amps (and wattages!) and are at high risk of killing their batteries or even worse causing them to rupture or explode.

unrelated, but I saw this today: http://www.littupcustommods.bigcartel.com/product/nes-dna20-mod and I'm thinking about building one myself. I can do it for less than $100 worth of parts, shipping included. and that site has a waiting list. I could save money and time by DIY... serious ponder mode engaged

I didn't mean you were being argumentative, sorry. I really was questioning myself. Glad to hear that I wasn't totally off base tho. That would have meant that the advice I'd been following from another vaper was wrong, or sketchy, to say the least.

I've been wanting a DNA20/30 for a while now. I saw somewhere not too long ago that the DNA20 chip was being sold as a stand alone just online. I will have to see if I can find it. But vaping on an NES controller? That would be awesome. GrimmGreen had one at one point that he was using, but I don't know if he still has it. Seeing that made me want one instantly, and this was before I knew what on earth it really was.

Last edited:

guys over here like my engineer buddy... they are getting into really elaborate box mods
i bet you would make some ridiculous ones
IMG_2759.jpg

540344_226389140853497_710551449_n1.jpg

the altoids tin is one of my favorite enclosures for microcontroller projects. So easy to work with and small enough to fit in your pocket. I've put everything from a robotic cat laser to a wifi security scanner inside those things :) I thought about it for a mod but the NES controller seems so awesome and it already has built-in buttons for controls! for my first mod build I think I'm going retro :D

the altoids tin is one of my favorite enclosures for microcontroller projects. So easy to work with and small enough to fit in your pocket. I've put everything from a robotic cat laser to a wifi security scanner inside those things :) I thought about it for a mod but the NES controller seems so awesome and it already has built-in buttons for controls! for my first mod build I think I'm going retro :D

Keep us posted on how that turns out. I may even be interested in buying one from ya. Here's a link to the DNA30D chipset: http://www.thehouseofvapor.com/product_p/1384.htm

The link you posted says out of stock :(

I was going to get mine from here: http://www.evolvapor.com/shop.php but have been looking for some place like thehouseofvapor.com that I can order more than just the boards from. I will be really busy for the next week or two... maybe I'll get on their waiting list and see if they come back in stock before I'm ready to take on this project

The link you posted says out of stock :(

I was going to get mine from here: http://www.evolvapor.com/shop.php but have been looking for some place like thehouseofvapor.com that I can order more than just the boards from. I will be really busy for the next week or two... maybe I'll get on their waiting list and see if they come back in stock before I'm ready to take on this project

That sucks. I would do that. I found that through www.gotsmok.com the are always listing good deals on vape gear. Keep an eye out there as well, they may find another place that gets them in like house of vapor.

Well last night I ordered the Magneto, Aspire and some 18650 batteries. They were out of the Sony so I just settled on another brand as they were free along with a charger. May be here Saturday but probably Monday. Thanks guys.

Well last night I ordered the Magneto, Aspire and some 18650 batteries. They were out of the Sony so I just settled on another brand as they were free along with a charger. May be here Saturday but probably Monday. Thanks guys.

nice setup! be warned though - the output might not be what you like. Don't be discouraged by that, though. It's just a factor of using a pre-built coil on a mechanical mod. it should come with the 1.6 ohm coil pre-installed. If that one is too strong for you, try the 1.8. Also keep in mind that with the mechanical mod, the wattage is going to be a lot higher on a fresh battery versus a nearly drained one. For example with the 1.6 ohm coil, you will be vaping at 11 watts fully charged (4.2V). you're supposed to drain them down to about 3.3-3.4V, and at 3.3V the 1.6 ohm coil will be producing only 6.8 watts! Those numbers go to 9.8 and 6 watts with the 1.8 ohm coil.

I still think you will like this setup a lot better than your old one, just want you to have the info so you know why it does what it does :)

nice setup! be warned though - the output might not be what you like. Don't be discouraged by that, though. It's just a factor of using a pre-built coil on a mechanical mod. it should come with the 1.6 ohm coil pre-installed. If that one is too strong for you, try the 1.8. Also keep in mind that with the mechanical mod, the wattage is going to be a lot higher on a fresh battery versus a nearly drained one. For example with the 1.6 ohm coil, you will be vaping at 11 watts fully charged (4.2V). you're supposed to drain them down to about 3.3-3.4V, and at 3.3V the 1.6 ohm coil will be producing only 6.8 watts! Those numbers go to 9.8 and 6 watts with the 1.8 ohm coil.

I still think you will like this setup a lot better than your old one, just want you to have the info so you know why it does what it does :)

I figure if I have 2 fully charged batteries I should be good? BUT with the Magneto maybe I can find someone that can build me something good? I have quite a few EE friends but none of them vape. Is there a good site to try out? I usually go thru Madvapes or Myvaporplace for buying but may need some more.

your best bet is to find a local shop and let them show you how to do it. it's really not that hard as long as you watch what you're doing and test everything before you put a battery on the atty. any of your EE buddies can show you how to test the coil with a multimeter. You can get a purpose built one, but it's really just a convenience, not a necessity. The $8 radio shack variety woks fine - I speak from experience ;)

oh and re: batteries - you do need to let them discharge, which should take a day or three depending on how much you vape. frequent recharging or charging when it's still more than half full can shorten the life of the battery

let us know how you like it after you get it

I did find a shop but it's about an hour away from me. BUT it is where I grew up so that pretty cool.

Yup, I know all about the batteries. I can see myself dropping coin on this stuff...

I did find a shop but it's about an hour away from me. BUT it is where I grew up so that pretty cool.

Yup, I know all about the batteries. I can see myself dropping coin on this stuff...
where in va are you? i live in virginia beach and my brothers live in manassas and baltimore
i know a ton of shops from here and norva

welcome to the club :D

where in va are you? i live in virginia beach and my brothers live in manassas and baltimore
i know a ton of shops from here and norva

I grew up in Herndon but now live outside of Warrenton. I did a search and only found a shop in Herndon, Manassas is alot closer...

welcome to the club :D

Damn, damn, damn!

i know there are shops in fredricksburg. lemme ask my brother cuz he used to live up there
the brother living in manassas is a non smoker/vapor so he wouldnt be any help haha

oh, russ - the flavorz by joe juice came in yesterday. Elvis is goood. I think the peanut butter cup one might be even better! I haven't tried the other 4 yet but I will be over the next week or so. good recommendation!

Back