Ole Gray's Journey Back

You will be kicking arse in Orlando my friend. I need to get up there soon.

We're going to have a rather large get together very soon however you come up any time buddy ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Way to go OG. Sounds like a solid first lesson. Now work on it so we can rock #theKing.

Sounds like you are getting back on track, seems like you found a good instructor.

Sounds like you are getting back on track, seems like you found a good instructor.

He played other sports like I did and some of his instruction uses parts of those sports, to help me visualize the correct concept and execute properly.

I appreciate all the encouragement folks! I will be heading out today to work on my homework. I will be hitting balls on the range with a purpose and direction. Then I will be on the putting green working on a consistent set up and routine. After my skill building sessions and only then I may play nine holes of golf. It's so pretty outside today in Georgia and I'm taking advantage of it. :golf2::thumb:

* Note: One more thing he had me working on was not only ball position but where my hands were in relation to the ball. My hands were too far forward on my setup and now he has me with the hands more over the ball.

Wish I could be there to play those 9 with you. Going to be 76* today in Mississippi, perfect for golf.

Wish I could be there to play those 9 with you. Going to be 76* today in Mississippi, perfect for golf.

That would be great tander and we'll have to get er done of these days :thumb:

Thanks for the update OG, sounds like your instructor will have you playing "boring" center of the fairway golf before you know it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Happy for you OG, just read the update, great stuff! Looking forward to some more!

It was a beautiful Friday in Georgia today and I wanted to play golf but decided instead to work on the range. This was hard to do since we have had so many crappy days this year. I was proud of myself to stay the course and work on what my instructor has for me to do. To be honest I came out tired today and sore from all the balls we beat at my first lesson yesterday. My range session was ok, but not the kind that blows ya skirt up so to speak. :D In fact I could use a good massage right about now or a good back brace. I spent an hour on the putting green and at the end of the day, it was my high light. I was rolling the flat stick really well and made several in a row. Confidence is building and it's going to be a key ingredient for my success in 2014.

I've been struggling with my balance since knee surgery four months ago. I purchase a training aid today that I hope will help me with this issue.

I like this tip so much in Orange Hog's lesson diary that I had to add it to mine as it's exactly one of the issues I am working on. Thanks OH!

I went out today in my yard and worked on Michael Breed's right shoulder tip.. I love the move and it definitely helps you finish your swing. This will be a key focus of mine for the next four weeks. I was hitting most of my wedge shots really solid and the ones I missed were the ones when I came out of my spine angle. I love this drill!

Nice OG. Seem to be peaking at the right time.

Bill is gonna be taking all kinds of folks to the woodshed in April hehe :deadhorse:

Good tip Bill. This is something we talked about in my last lesson too. Nice to see another way of explaining it. Let do some work!

Nice OG. Seem to be peaking at the right time.

Bill is gonna be taking all kinds of folks to the woodshed in April hehe :deadhorse:
haha I just hope myself is not one of them
biggrin.png

Good tip Bill. This is something we talked about in my last lesson too. Nice to see another way of explaining it. Let do some work!

Thanks guys! I'm having a great time tuning up for the King. It's going to make my entire 2014 season better because of it. :golf2:

Looking forward to following along, OG!

Lesson #2 - Short game with wedges

Spent 1 1/2 hours today on pitching and SW today.

* Tee stuck in grip drill which helped me visualize where the butt end of the club was suppose to be on take away and how to drive through the ball.

* Worked on right shoulder covering the ball.

* Worked on throwing the side arm baseball to first base which demonstrates the proper release with right hand though the ball.

* Hybrid head cover on right side of ball two inches back to help me strike the ball with correct inside out path.

* Take away review with right hand in shake position on backswing and then again on follow though.

* Grip pressure on wedge shots should be light to allow the wrist to unhinge while striking the ball. Too much grip pressure causes deceleration and erratic ball contact.

* Worked on not laying the wedge off at the top (my worst fault with all my clubs)

* Worked on 6o - 75 yard shots with my sand wedge using different degree of take away and follow through. Also discussed how gripping down can help with decreasing yardages.

I am soooooo fricking tired after playing 18 holes and then an hour and half on the range today with my pro but I feel really good about my lesson today. I have a ton of home work to drill into my head and I'm actually looking forward to it. No pain no gain :beat-up: :thumb:

Lesson #2 - Short game with wedges

Spent 1 1/2 hours today on pitching and SW today.

* Tee stuck in grip drill which helped me visualize where the butt end of the club was suppose to be on take away and how to drive through the ball.

* Worked on right shoulder covering the ball.

* Worked on throwing the side arm baseball to first base which demonstrates the proper release with right hand though the ball.

* Hybrid head cover on right side of ball two inches back to help me strike the ball with correct inside out path.

* Take away review with right hand in shake position on backswing and then again on follow though.

* Grip pressure on wedge shots should be light to allow the wrist to unhinge while striking the ball. Too much grip pressure causes deceleration and erratic ball contact.

* Worked on not laying the wedge off at the top (my worst fault with all my clubs)

* Worked on 6o - 75 yard shots with my sand wedge using different degree of take away and follow through. Also discussed how gripping down can help with decreasing yardages.

I am soooooo fricking tired after playing 18 holes and then an hour and half on the range today with my pro but I feel really good about my lesson today. I have a ton of home work to drill into my head and I'm actually looking forward to it. No pain no gain :beat-up: :thumb:

Awesome work there buddy!

Stay strong and enjoy the road back , hope the lessons and recovery do ya well.

Stay strong and enjoy the road back , hope the lessons and recovery do ya well.

It's really tough but ya know what, I'm coming out of this better than ever. It's forcing me to build some skills that I've never had. I'm pumped and with the "King" coming in April, I expect to play some of the best golf in my life! Let the games begin. :bomb:

Love following this thread. OG "you da man". Keep it up my fellow georgian.

Glad to hear things look to be moving in the right direction for you OG, keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing your progress

Hopefully it won't be too long for KB to be back out there on the course with you as well

Love following this thread. OG "you da man". Keep it up my fellow georgian.

This game is soooooo hard to become consistent at. For me one of the toughest is getting those little small shots with different gaps/yardages down. Practice, practice, practice and I'm hoping it will become second nature.

Glad to hear things look to be moving in the right direction for you OG, keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing your progress

Hopefully it won't be too long for KB to be back out there on the course with you as well

She is officially back next week and I can't wait for her to get back out there and help me with my game. She's a tough coach and has a ton of knowledge from all the lessons she has gone through over the last few years. I welcome her knowledge of the game!

This game is soooooo hard to become consistent at. For me one of the toughest is getting those little small shots with different gaps/yardages down. Practice, practice, practice and I'm hoping it will become second nature.

She is officially back next week and I can't wait for her to get back out there and help me with my game. She's a tough coach and has a ton of knowledge from all the lessons she has gone through over the last few years. I welcome her knowledge of the game!
I am so proud of you buddy, you will be kicking arse and taking names at The King. Glad to read about Kelly's progress to and happy that I may get to tee it up with the two of you soon.
What are your tomorrow plans, would you like to get in a round with an old coot?

Back