Does your 1st hole dictate your round?

Does your 1st hole dictate your round?

• Total voters
1st hole never really dictates anything for me

I shot the best round I have ever played(+4) with a double bogey on the first hole and have shot many a terrible round with a birdie on the first hole. I always look at ball striking more than the numbers on the scorecard.

Nope I take a while to loosen up so I don't put much thought in the first couple holes.

Well it isn't the end all..but if you have a big high number on the 1st hole...it is hard to get out of the rut. I try and keep the 1 st hole simple..a few courses I play, the 1 st hole is the number 1 handicap hole. Weird, but no one said indiana was normal..:). I will intentionally play these holes as bogey at worse.. No chances, just middle of fairway, middle of green. If i miss the fairway, I always play conservative and no " hero" 2nd shots. If the conservative is a "bogey" , than that is fine for me

Honestly haven't really paid that close of attention, but always go by the premise that it takes a few holes to get warmed up so even if the first one isn't great, mentally I'm ok with that. I'll start keeping track though, and we'll see.

I would say no. Local course, 1st hole pretty easy. Usually no worse than a bogey. Often have birdie putts but the green has some tricky undulations and rarely make them.

At other courses I rarely hit a good shot on 1st tee so a big number is possible but doesn't spell disaster for the round.

I would say no. Local course, 1st hole pretty easy. Usually no worse than a bogey. Often have birdie putts but the green has some tricky undulations and rarely make them.

At other courses I rarely hit a good shot on 1st tee so a big number is possible but doesn't spell disaster for the round.

Good one.. A beer from me to you

No, not for me. Perfect example is my last round! I started with triple bogey on the first and ended the day with five birdies and a great round. Too much golf to play to let the first hole dictate how my round is going to be.

No. At my home course, my first hole is 90 yards long. It's disappointing to come away with something other than par, but it doesn't destroy the round. All it does is make me realize that I gave up a stroke or two there.

~Rock

Typically, no. Whether it's a good or bad score, I usually just move on to the next hole.

With that said, if I do something unusually good, it can kind of get my round started. My last round I made a 10-foot slider to save par after hitting into a bunker. It kind of got me going, and I held onto that during the round and finished with a good score.

Typically, though, I just move on after the first hole.

Opposite usually lol. The best round of my life (79; +8) I had double bogey on the first. The week prior I birdied the first (same course) and went on to shoot a 91.

I try not to let it if I start out poorly. My problem recently had been trying to play to a score rather than just playing the hole. If I get a double bogey then I start thinking about where I am going to make par or better to make up for that hole.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I voted no but mainly because I can't tell you how many times I birdie the opening par 5 on my course only to crap the bed the next few holes after. I've also overcome some rough starts to play well afterwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The first hole does not typically dictate the round, but the initial 3 to four holes may. If I play those holes unusually well, I start thinking that today is the day I shoot that personal low round. Then for some reason, things start to go down hill. I have shot some of my best rounds when the first four holes were personally typical. Perhaps, its akin to a tour pro shooting a 29 on the front and then has thoughts of a 59.

Not for me.... I learned along time ago to realize that first 3-5 shots do not dictate how the other ones for the day will go

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

It could do dependent on how bad it was! Its a tough 475yd par 4 index 7 so not for the faint hearted with OOB down the left and deep tree line on the right, so your 1st tee shot has to be decent. Oh and there's a ditch running right across the sloping fairway at around 280yds!

However, I split my round into 3 thirds due to 5 of our first 6 holes being pretty soul destroying if you don't get off to a good start, so, if I'm within 2 or 3 shots of my handicap as I'm walking to our 7th, I fancy getting those shots back in our middle 6 and then I do tend to do well on the last 6, so, its the first 6 holes which will dictate my round for me.

I'm a notoriously slow starter on the course, especially if I don't warm up first. Fortunately, I've been through it enough times to know that I can't get down about a slow start and that 99 times out of 100, I'll play better as the round goes on.

No. I've had great first rounds that were a disaster afterwards and vice versa, so I take it with a grain of salt. Of course a better score is preferred, but there's so much golf to be played that it could go either way for me.

From a mental point of view, it's something I need to work on. Last weekend I parred the first two holes and one of the predominant thoughts in my head was when was when would the blow up hole show up. The answer was the Third, which was a triple. So maybe I need to get some bad scores out early, so I can stay focused on playing catch up. Who knows.

Not for me. I've had times where I tripled the first hole and then played lights out the rest of the round. I've also had rounds where I eagled the first hole, and went on to shoot some of my highest scores.

In fact one round that always sticks out for me is when I was qualifying for the State Amateur tournament. In the round I had 2 eagles (one of them on the opening hole) and 4 birdies, yet I still shot an 81. Only made 1 par, the rest were bogey's and 2 triples.

I have started playing the first holes slightly safe to easy into the round. Once the starting jitters go away I can usually find a grove, but the first hole, whether I blow up or do really well does not dictate my round.

Never, first hole is usually somewhat of a bad hole since I am a little tight and still warming up. A good first hole however will get me feeling confident and usually helps me keep it going.

No way I treat each hole as and individual i have had some of my best rounds when i start off with a boggy and some bad ones staring off with a birdie

No. At my home course, my first hole is 90 yards long. It's disappointing to come away with something other than par, but it doesn't destroy the round. All it does is make me realize that I gave up a stroke or two there.

~Rock
That one for me would sure dictate, if I didn't birdie or par I know I'd be down on myself for a bit.

No single hole dictates my round, especially the first.

Back