Taylormade Tour Preferred MC Iron Review Thread

Really starting to get the yardages dialed in the the MC short irons. I've hit 9 and 7 GIRs in the past two rounds, when I normally struggle to get 5 in a round. Hopefully this number will continue to grow.

These irons continue to amaze me. They perform so well, the control and accuracy is simply unparalleled to me and I have played a lot of clubs. Matching the head with the C-Taper was in honesty an accident, but has worked so well. From the 4 iron down I have total confidence in every shot. I thought I would need to pair it with the CB's in the long irons and there is simply no need. I have my distances back and I am loving every round I get to play with them.

These irons continue to amaze me. They perform so well, the control and accuracy is simply unparalleled to me and I have played a lot of clubs. Matching the head with the C-Taper was in honesty an accident, but has worked so well. From the 4 iron down I have total confidence in every shot. I thought I would need to pair it with the CB's in the long irons and there is simply no need. I have my distances back and I am loving every round I get to play with them.

Sweet i am finding the more i play with mine the more i love them as well
the short irons are so easy to work and control

Last edited:
It is amazing what a shaft length and lie angle change can do to a set of irons. Since having those changes, I'm getting antsy to put the Tour Preferred irons in play.

Thanks to all the great feedback here I just put the order in on a set of these beauties....After researching a few clubs I went into the local golfsmith and hit the Tour Preferred CB,MC,(7i kbs90) and the speedblades(6i, stock85)

IMO...the speedblades just didnt look good at address for me at all. Looked a little chunky and the offset bothered the eye a touch. The feel was ok throughout the face but couldnt pin point the slight misses. Was an above avg. performer IMO on how easy it was to hit.

Difference's in the Tour Preferred CB and MC that I noticed was the slightly better feedback from the MC's and my dispertion had shrunk by 50% with no distance loss.

The Golfsmith rep mentioned that it looked like I just wanted to hit the MC better...lol...I was sold right there, extra focus may be priceless. Loved em both though, great clubs.

Thanks to all the great feedback here I just put the order in on a set of these beauties....After researching a few clubs I went into the local golfsmith and hit the Tour Preferred CB,MC,(7i kbs90) and the speedblades(6i, stock85)

IMO...the speedblades just didnt look good at address for me at all. Looked a little chunky and the offset bothered the eye a touch. The feel was ok throughout the face but couldnt pin point the slight misses. Was an above avg. performer IMO on how easy it was to hit.

Difference's in the Tour Preferred CB and MC that I noticed was the slightly better feedback from the MC's and my dispertion had shrunk by 50% with no distance loss.

The Golfsmith rep mentioned that it looked like I just wanted to hit the MC better...lol...I was sold right there, extra focus may be priceless. Loved em both though, great clubs.

Welcome to THP. What set make up did you end up ordering.

Welcome to THP. What set make up did you end up ordering.
Thank You all for a great forum.

I ended up with the Tour Preferred MC's 4-pw, 2* up, kbs 90. Kbs 90's felt great to me because I've been playing them for 4 years in my R9's. They just moved me from a R flex to a S in this set. They are being shipped to Golfsmith for a set of Midsize DriTac grips on April 7th. I cant wait!!!!!!

Really like the idea of the CB 3 iron since I've always liked my long irons.

I ended up with the Tour Preferred MC's 4-pw, 2* up, kbs 90. Kbs 90's felt great to me because I've been playing them for 4 years in my R9's. They just moved me from a R flex to a S in this set. They are being shipped to Golfsmith for a set of Midsize DriTac grips on April 7th. I cant wait!!!!!!

Nice! Enjoy the new clubs!

I've got the MC 3i and I've loved it so far. I know the CB will be great as well. My iron game had been awesome lately. The MCs are giving me a ton of confidence. Enjoy those sticks!

Congrats on the new sticks i love mine

Love to hear about the confidence with this set.

I was a little worried at first. As I read about the TM Tour Preferred concierge service and whole deal with testing the clubs, I saw a few of the better ball strikers looking to side with the CB's. I didnt know if I may have got the wrong impression on the clubs with only being able to hit the 7i. Were they tougher to hit through the bag? Was it because my fav club is the 7i and the rest were gonna be rocks?

If I remember right after reading threads for the last 2 days, it looks like those who were on the fence are really enjoying them now.

For the record, no fence sitting on my part :)

I've got the MC 3i and I've loved it so far. I know the CB will be great as well. My iron game had been awesome lately. The MCs are giving me a ton of confidence. Enjoy those sticks!
Only reason I didnt jump on the 3i was the fact they didnt have one to hit, and actually being able to hit it well(probably the tougher of the 2 and it wasnt in the store...lol).

Thanks, will be in hand by the 10th I hope. Just hope Mother Nature gets that bottle of wine and flowers I sent in time.

For the record, no fence sitting on my part :)
I remember you being all over the combo set right off the bat...I love that idea but didnt have the guts to do it....really makes alot of sense if you can control the gaps in distance with a little bend.

I remember you being all over the combo set right off the bat...I love that idea but didnt have the guts to do it....really makes alot of sense if you can control the gaps in distance with a little bend.

I played a full set of MCs at the Ultimate Testing in January. I just loved all three sets so much that I had to have some of each. Also, no bending necessary .

I am playing a combo set and bending was not required

So the added gap of a couple degrees due to club style isnt too bad? Hmmmm.....That was the thing i was looking at as the roadblock with the 5.5* gap in between the 7i and 8i. I can usually flight my irons how I want, but that I felt that was to much of a gap for me in an area of the bag I love to hit. Seasons very early, couple of those MB's might find a good home later on, hearing no issues on the gap.

How do those MB's feel? butterrific I bet!!!!

So the added gap of a couple degrees due to club style isnt too bad? Hmmmm.....That was the thing i was looking at as the roadblock with the 5.5* gap in between the 7i and 8i. I can usually flight my irons how I want, but that I felt that was to much of a gap for me in an area of the bag I love to hit. Seasons very early, couple of those MB's might find a good home later on, hearing no issues on the gap.

How do those MB's feel? butterrific I bet!!!!

The CBs have a higher launch which is why the lofts are a hair stronger. But that also makes them great for longer iron options, for me at least. The MBs are every bit a blade. Look great but are very taxing and punishing on any sort of mishit.

Had a great day with the MCs at the Lake Charles Invitational yesterday. If you're worried you don't have the game for the MCs, make sure you hit them first. You'll be surprised how playable they are. Even with the windy conditions, the ball had a nice penetrating flight. I hit a lot more greens than normal from yardages I don't normally hit greens.

My custom MC's arrived the other week. Standard length, 2° upright, Golf Pride Tour Wraps, and Project X 6.0 shafts. Big improvement from my previous Callaway Razr X with uniflex shaft. Did a fitting at GolfTec and these came out on top over the CB's and Apex Pro. Going in I thought I was going to walk out with the Apex Pro but the MC was the winner in accuracy and only 2 yards shorter in distance. I was looking for accuracy #1 as I'm not in the need for more distance. These clubs feel absolutely fantastic and are much more forgiving then I thought they would be. Will post some of my thoughts once I have time spent with them. Driver, Fairway woods, hybrids, and wedges are next on my bag overhaul!!

imagejpg2_zps30de3fab.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

imagejpg3_zpsed746f1a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
imagejpg4_zps9771d361.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Good luck, I have never been so happy with a set of irons!

Nwill13 very nice sticks i love mine so far

T minus 6 days....cant wait...those pics have me very envious at this time...:bulgy-eyes:

also doing a bag overhaul this year...very excited about this, and a little nervous

Hopefully finally getting to use my MC'/mb's this weekend outside.

Ahhh man, totally thought they said my clubs would be in store today. Nope, being shipped to store today. Now It's just a wait with no date. :banghead:

Back