DC MD VA Area Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is so sad to hear about VA Oaks. I lived off the 18th green from 2005-2007. Loved playing there. Sounds like it's gone completely downhill. It was on my list of places to play if I ever returned to the area. It's at the bottom of that list now, at best.

Just a heads up to everyone. The Callaway Demo Day at Olney Golf Park for today has been postponed "due to balmy weather" was exact wording I got. Ha. At least she has a sense of humor.

They will try again Friday same place same time.

Just a heads up to everyone. The Callaway Demo Day at Olney Golf Park for today has been postponed "due to balmy weather" was exact wording I got. Ha. At least she has a sense of humor.

They will try again Friday same place same time.
Glad I checked, I was headed there now

Oh man. I'm glad you did too. You Can pm me your cell if you want and I'll keep you updated on their whereabouts this spring. It's not always updated on the Callaway site.

April 9th Arundel Golf Park will be having a big demo. All the major Companies will be there.

April 9th Arundel Golf Park will be having a big demo. All the major Companies will be there.

Yea, I plan on attending that one. Might be down there tonight.

Anyone played any of the Golfweek Amateur tour events? I just noticed they have a DC metro tour & they are playing at Stonewall on 29 March.

I am part of that group. I was up in the air about playing Stonewall, but looking at the long range forecast ( cool & rain ) I decided against it. That tournament was actually scheduled for like 3 weeks ago - but was snowed out!

Question.... for wedges they always talk about the condition type.....what are conditions considered in the DC metro area? I realize it can vary slightly from course to course....but in general are they firm, medium, or soft?

Question.... for wedges they always talk about the condition type.....what are conditions considered in the DC metro area? I realize it can vary slightly from course to course....but in general are they firm, medium, or soft?

If you check Hopkins website you can check when you build their custom wedges. They ask you to select the region you live in.

If you check Hopkins website you can check when you build their custom wedges. They ask you to select the region you live in.

Yeah, Hopkins recommends a full sole. I don't fully disagree with them, specifically for anything below a LW, but I like something with a lower bounce or heel relief at LW for some of the hardpan lies we see in the summer. I've been chipping with my UW lately and find that the J40 58˚ is working pretty well for pitching and chipping toe down from crappy lies. Pretty much sold on the fact that I'm going to grab a set SW here at some point.

I have standard and the I grind and C grind. No issues

I would say you will run into more soft conditions around here than firm. I hated to say medium and not commit. But the truth is very few courses (of the many I play) get real firm even in the summer.

Sure we get an extended drought now and then. Not that you'd know that by this winter...ha. But even during those most courses keep their courses watered very well. So I tend to go with around 12 degrees of bounce on most of my wedges. I do have on low bounce just incase.

The guys at Hopkins recommend a full standard soled wedge because of our turf. We don't get firm like Texas, and we don't stay saturated like the northwest. Standard grinds will suffice, unless your swing tells you otherwise......:act-up:

Thanks for the info. I was just checking out the new K grind in the Vokey SM5. It has a very wide sole.

Thanks for the info. I was just checking out the new K grind in the Vokey SM5. It has a very wide sole.

I hit the K grind at Twin Lakes Lakes Course where it gets a little more firm than most places and it was nice. I've been playing the ATV wedges for the last few months and they work well in most NoVA conditions. The K grind was very similar. My swing is pretty steep but I don't dig.

If I had to pick I would probably go S grind.

This is a good one, UVAWahoo and I have attended in the past with some other guys. Look forward to it this year.

weather looks good for this week! who is ready to get out in the afternoon sometime?? I am free any day except Friday :) Let me know

Anyone in Richmond want to grab 9 or something after work a day or two this week???

I wish no way I can get on the course till Sunday and probably will only get 9 in.

Deadlines and inspection scheduled for this week. After work golf this week is not going to happen. But I will be hitting the range a couple times. Man I hope were out of the woods. Yesterday it was rain/snow, with snowflakes that looked like cotton balls falling.

I am playing Greendale tomorrow afternoon ... probably going to be a swamp but hey .. it beats work!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I am playing Greendale tomorrow afternoon ... probably going to be a swamp but hey .. it beats work!

Nice. Yeah it is gonna be sloppy for sure. I like to wait it out at least 2 or 3 days because most of the course drains pretty decently.

gonna probably play Thur too ... maybe Pohick Bay ... hilly course that should drain faster than others I would think

gonna probably play Thur too ... maybe Pohick Bay ... hilly course that should drain faster than others I would think

Nice I like Pohick gets crowded but it is a nice little change of pace from what I play usually.

I played there a lot as a kid growing up. Religiously every Sunday with my father ... I should know every blade of grass there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back