Let's discuss new club and accessory oddities

tgtt

Reaction score
Handicap
How is it possible to see new clubs for sale so often? There is always someone selling a single club or a set that they've only played once or twice. And what happens to so many head covers or tools as they are often not included in sell? Is this simply someone trying a club or clubs that they have gotten a great deal on and moving on quickly or something else? I don't go through clubs but I can't fathom how or why people wanna change after "2 range sessions" or how they lose head covers or tools so easily. Please help me understand...

There are people that just like to buy/sell golf clubs dude. It's their thing. As for the headcovers, no clue.

There are people that just like to buy/sell golf clubs dude. It's their thing. As for the headcovers, no clue.

Surely you have noticed how many clubs end up for sale without tools or head covers?

Sell clubs to fund new ones, it's a vicious cycle that never ends.

I'm not sure you guys are reading... after a couple range sessions???? How is that possible? Even those that like to swap clubs so often that has to be too quick.

Surely you have noticed how many clubs end up for sale without tools or head covers?

I don't use the OEM headcovers at all in my bag except for the putter. Yes, I'm weird. To be honest, half of the time I don't know where the OEM headcovers are when I get ready to sell a club. Perhaps that's why some other people also sell clubs without headcovers.

Sure I have, but I can't tell you why.

What could make them buy hitting into a net yet give up after 2 range sessions???

I don't use the OEM headcovers at all in my bag except for the putter. Yes, I'm weird. To be honest, half of the time I don't know where the OEM headcovers are when I get ready to sell a club. Perhaps that's why some other people also sell clubs without headcovers.

I thought of that too but how could you misplace the original? Do you instantly sell it? Throw it away?

What could make them buy hitting into a net yet give up after 2 range sessions???

They think it will fix there swing flaw she it doesn't they move on to the net club

I thought of that too but how could you misplace the original? Do you instantly sell it? Throw it away?

Probably throw it away. Why keep something that I don't use?

I realize this doesn't go along with your other point, but I don't buy clubs thinking about resale value.

To your other point: someone could buy a club off of eBay to try a certain shaft or clubhead, get out to the range and hit it like crap, and figure out that it's not for them pretty easily. I was one of those people a few years ago....I can easily remember buying a TaylorMade R5 TP driver that I couldn't hit 15 feet off of the ground during multiple range sessions in a week's time. I knew that club wasn't for me, but that was also back when I knew very little about equipment.

I'm telling you. There is a whole subculture on the internet of guys that buy stuff, hit it, and sell it. It's their thing and I don't think you're going to get a rational answer.

I cant speak for the need to constantly purchase clubs but as for the head covers and tools they might just be very similar to lighters, pens, and single socks. I am convinced there is a mind boggling GINORMOUS pile of pens, lighters, and single socks somewhere in the world :)
perhaps a smaller one of head covers and golf tools/accessories is also somewhere.

I have hit clubs into a net and thought it felt great. After buying I then took them outside and wasn't happy with the ball flight it gave me or the forgiveness on mishits. Then comes the sell to try something different. Not sure about losing headcovers unless you're just overwhelmed at home with equipment lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing I do know is that Dick's (at least here) doesn't take headcovers on trade ins. They tell you to keep them.

One thing I do know is that Dick's (at least here) doesn't take headcovers on trade ins. They tell you to keep them.
I think Golfsmith is the same down here.

But that would lead to an excess of head covers yet everyone is reselling without them. Surely Ary is in the minority as far as just trashing them???

Unless you guys are implying Dick's resells without them. That would make sense.

I've actually seen huge boxes just full of headcovers at more than a few shops.

I have noticed some sellers that sell the club and the cover separately.... two chances to profit I suppose.

I am watching some Callaway stuff right now, that are just the heads.... same guy is selling just the heads of other new release stuff as well. No shafts available from him at all... just heads.

Another bunch of stuff I was watching, new SLDR, and new Bertha stuff. No reserve, no headcovers. Quite leery, but still following intently.

Unless you guys are implying Dick's resells without them. That would make sense.

They actually sell to the big online sellers if I remember correctly and yes, without headcovers.

I've actually seen huge boxes just full of headcovers at more than a few shops.

I've seen the same. There is always a bunch of headcovers on clearance at local stores here.

I have seen many people take a club to the till and walk out without a cover at all.

Headcovers and tools? No clue. After a couple of range sessions? I have never been to a scramble where there weren't at least a couple of clubs as prizes. Then there are the country clubs that will sell excess inventory or test clubs. People who buy impulsively or don't get fit and realize after "a couple of range sessions" that they can't buy a swing off the rack. Liars. All kinds of potential scenarios.

i will always be looking for deals that I can use for projects or to fill a gap.

JM

And what happens to so many head covers or tools as they are often not included in sell?

I have a difficult time understanding this also. I see it on a few golf forums where clubs (drivers/fairways/hybrids/putters) are up for sale without a head cover and wrenches for adjustable clubs. I don't use OEM covers, I have aftermarket covers which I use but I do keep the OEM covers in a drawer and pass them on when a club is sold, the same applies to wrenches . . . if the club is sold then I have no need for the tool.

Back