The Ashtray Course

deuce

Grenade!
Reaction score
Went to a local golf course (the closest to my house) to play a round yesterday. It was really windy, but was warm and sunny. That made a great excuse to go play 18. It was a busy day as only two golf carts were not in use. My friend and I loaded up our bags and I went to put my stuff in the front of the cart only to see that someone had used it as an ashtray. Yuck. Now I have an aversion to cigarette's, so the sight turned my stomach a bit. However I didn't want to make a fuss so I just put up with it.

We got to the first tee and I noticed several cigarette butts strewn around the tee box. Some were still smoldering. Found several along the first fairway, and even some ON the green. The only thing more common on the greens, aside from the cigarette butts, were unrepaired divots. By the time we were done, I was beyond mad. Of course, the pro shop was closed by the time we finished our round so I couldn't say anything.

I don't want to fire off a nasty email to the club, because it's the people using the course who are to blame ... how would you write a letter letting them know that people are ruining the course?

Take 24 hours to collect your thoughts, then send a polite email. I think its definitely something to bring to their attention

My home course had a similar issue because it is used a lot by students who exercise poor etiquette. I just mentioned it to the general manager (in a calm manner) and he said he would address it. The problem seems to have gotten better.

Here is what I originally had intended to send. Is this a fair letter?

Dear Palms Course,
Despite the windy conditions yesterday, it was warm and sunny and therefore a perfect opportunity to go golfing. Frankly, every day I wake up on the right side of the grass is a perfect opportunity to go golfing, which tells you that I really enjoy my time spent on the course. Now I’m not a great golfer, but I believe that I have a basic understanding of what makes a good course and the effort that is required to keep it in good condition. Add to that the fact that the Palms Course is within a short distance of my own home, and that I play this course frequently, and you’ll understand the concerns I am relaying to you today.

First, I want to say that nothing I am about to say has anything to do with finding fault with ownership, the management, or the staff of the Palms Course. Rather, I would like to point out some vexing behaviors of – hopefully a small minority – of users of the course. I have not seen any of this behavior first hand, though the impacts of their lack of respect for the course are plain to see as one plays. The first one I would like to address is the overall cleanliness of the course. I was surprised to see a large number of cigarette butts strewn about the tee boxes, fairways, and greens yesterday. There were also several cigarette butts in our cart. Now, I don’t care if people smoke while playing … my friends and I have been known to enjoy a cigar or two on the course ourselves. My issue is with people disrespecting their fellow golfers, the community that surrounds the course, and the owners of the Palms Course with their littering. A couple of those cigarettes were still smoldering, and while we have had a pretty wet spring these could pose a potential fire hazard if and when we find ourselves in the midst of another drought.

The second issue has to deal with the number of unrepaired ball marks that can be found on the greens. These ball marks if left unrepaired, or even unrepaired incorrectly, can really be detrimental to the greens. Case in point was Hole #10 yesterday where I repaired at least a dozen of these marks yesterday.

Rather than simply complain however, I would like to offer a couple of suggestions. To address the first issue perhaps a campaign to “keep the course green” highlighting the benefits of not leaving anything on the course. For the second, perhaps posting in the pro shop, on the website, or in other high visible areas the benefits of fixing ball marks, and filling in divots while playing. Some of these issues may simply be habit, or lack of knowledge on the part of people playing, and hopefully with education things will improve. I really enjoy playing the Palms Course, and would hate to see if earn a poor reputation or suffer expensive damage due to a few inconsiderate players.

Thank you for your time and attention to this matter.

Do they provide any of those containers where people can drop cigarettes into to dispose of them? A few courses I've played have them every 3-5 holes along with a trash can for empty cans, bottles, or whatever.

Do they provide any of those containers where people can drop cigarettes into to dispose of them? A few courses I've played have them every 3-5 holes along with a trash can for empty cans, bottles, or whatever.
They had plenty of ball wash and water stations, as well as garbage receptacles, but nothing designated for cigarettes.

I think your letter is fair. You offer your opinion, but also a couple of solutions to the issue. I'm sure you aren't the only one feeling this way about the course.

I've seen this a bunch on small courses near me. Butts on the greens, beer cans in the woods is absolutely ridiculous. I wish scumbags like that didn't exist

I think your letter is fair. You offer your opinion, but also a couple of solutions to the issue. I'm sure you aren't the only one feeling this way about the course.
Thanks. I fired off that email. Will let everyone know if they ever respond, or put something up on the course to address these issues.

Played a round this evening and came across a butt on the green.. Stuff like that drives me CRAZY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This happens at my course to often
luckily i have not seen an on the greens yet

Over here in Queensland Australia it is goverment legislation that you are only permitted to smoke on even numbered holes, so the problem is only half as bad...LOL

Back