PING i25 Driver - THP Review Thread

I think the majority of the reason they 'get away with' releasing clubs at the frequency they do is they stick to the identity they have setup for each line of clubs. If you're a better player you should look at the i series. If you need more help and forgiveness try the g series. The other OEMs don't put near as much emphasis on differentiating their club lines for different player skill levels.

Tappin it up

However the performance of those lines are all eerily similar when you see the numbers. That's kind of JB's point.

Even though I play a blue amp cell, the biggest thing I liked of the i25 relative to the G25 was the matte finish vs the glossy G25. In truth the fitter only tried the i25 with me based on my current numbers but I have hit both and gotten distance numbers in the same ballpark except for about 500-700 less rpm from the i25.

I think alot of the 'pass' they get is that they aren't crazy flashy advertisers and have a rep for quality. I also appreciate their opinion of needing a fitting rather than a seemingly 'do it yourself' adjustment concept even though I love the myFly and Smartpad on my Amp Cell I have realized that I need a fitting to figure out what shaft would work better than the Fuel. If I hadn't met the Ping fitter I would not have known that the PWR75 was better for me than the 55 that comes on most of the retail units that I have been able to find.

G25 has matte finish as well.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Do you think they almost "get away" with what other companies get criticized for? Right now they have the G, I and Anser in line and its very hard to distinguish the differences between them. It used to be an open and closed thing, plus lower spin. Now they all appear to have similar depth and spin, plus adjustability.

Absolutely they get a pass. I think it's because they don't release drivers all that often Anser was in the middle of 2012, G25 was at the start of last year and now the I25. The Anser seemed rushed almost like they just wanted it out there as it was their first adjustable driver it felt unfinished to me.

In my limited time with the I25 and from what I remember about the G25 the spin rate was down a little and the launch was a little lower in the I25. That's what they claim and that's what it did for me but it wasn't a huge difference in those numbers but it did make a huge difference in carry distance based on results in the sim.

In my opinion Ping seems to focus a lot on the tungsten on the sole and improved MOI, if you ask if the I25 has less twisting than the G25 and if it really helps I have no idea but it makes the sole look really awesome and we all know the sole of a driver is very important.

G25 has matte finish as well.

Huh.it has been awhile but I remember the i25 being less obtrusive than the g25. There is an outdoor fitting day on the 22nd that I will have to check.

However the performance of those lines are all eerily similar when you see the numbers. That's kind of JB's point.

Completely agree the performance lines are blurred between the offerings. But its still easy to differentiate because ping never seems to draw attention to both unless its to promote any perceived difference. For example taylormade releases the stage 2, R1, SLDR, and Jetspeed (sorry if the order is wrong) but each is painted in a picture that its better than the previous except for the jetspeed. That felt like the first one they released that had a performance profile that was for a different group of players or could have been a price point offering Although we still gave them a little grief for it. This is just my perception. I think the marketing machines can paint different pictures to different people.

Tappin it up

I have been testing many drivers of late and the i25 is the best so far of the 2014's
My SS is 103-106 Faster Tempo swing. I am a med/low ball hitter mainly because I play the ball back a bit.

At first I bought the 9.5 i25 , as I had the 9.5 G25 which I like the large sweet spot but its a bit big to get around and the ball decent angle was too steep (more spin).

The i25 9.5 was launching too low with a pwr75 tour stiff. Next I get the 10.5 pull the shaft and install a Fijikura F1 65x @ 45.5 / D5 / 271cpm on N1. Its a complete bomber set at the - (open). I did try the + and its high, the std setting is good too, but I like fade bias
I am completely blown away with the F1 shaft HIT technology and this head combo. Its 10-15yards longer than the stock shaft. The F1 is very stable and long. I felt like the stock shafts were not stiff enough or higher torque...the F1 sure proved that
I will get some launch monitor numbers, but its longer than my 10.5 XTD and has a higher launch angle. The flight is very low spin. The ball rises to a high apex (approx height of the rear range net) and the decent angle is still moving forward (key) to land and roll. Its looks perfect!.
I still need some more time on 18 and range, Monitor to report, but it looks like a massive BOMBER! Last week I blew my yardages at my local with the stock shaft, now I have my launch up and xtra 1/4' length with a F1 I am sure to be longer!!! I think I am close to 300yrds...

I have been testing many drivers of late and the i25 is the best so far of the 2014's
My SS is 103-106 Faster Tempo swing. I am a med/low ball hitter mainly because I play the ball back a bit.

At first I bought the 9.5 i25 , as I had the 9.5 G25 which I like the large sweet spot but its a bit big to get around and the ball decent angle was too steep (more spin).

The i25 9.5 was launching too low with a pwr75 tour stiff. Next I get the 10.5 pull the shaft and install a Fijikura F1 65x @ 45.5 / D5 / 271cpm on N1. Its a complete bomber set at the - (open). I did try the + and its high, the std setting is good too, but I like fade bias
I am completely blown away with the F1 shaft HIT technology and this head combo. Its 10-15yards longer than the stock shaft. The F1 is very stable and long. I felt like the stock shafts were not stiff enough or higher torque...the F1 sure proved that
I will get some launch monitor numbers, but its longer than my 10.5 XTD and has a higher launch angle. The flight is very low spin. The ball rises to a high apex (approx height of the rear range net) and the decent angle is still moving forward (key) to land and roll. Its looks perfect!.
I still need some more time on 18 and range, Monitor to report, but it looks like a massive BOMBER! Last week I blew my yardages at my local with the stock shaft, now I have my launch up and xtra 1/4' length with a F1 I am sure to be longer!!! I think I am close to 300yrds...

Congrats on the new purchase and welcome to THP! The i25 seems to be turning a lot of heads. Enjoy!

Fitting this weekend. Really want to spend time with this one and see how it compares to my gamer. I expect big things

Great thoughts on the i25 so far. For those who have hit this how were toe hits? Also would you recommend?

Not to hijack the thread but...

Dicks is doing fittings for Ping's on Friday at select sites where they will be giving some full sets and iron sets away.

very interested in the i25, and looking into the Fujikura F1/F3, don't know much about those shafts, but i like the characteristics you speak of and they seem fairly cheap.

very interested in the i25, and looking into the Fujikura F1/F3, don't know much about those shafts, but i like the characteristics you speak of.

IMO it would be a mistake to automatically bail on the PWR options from PING, very solid performance matched with this head and there are a lot of options in that lineup.

IMO it would be a mistake to automatically bail on the PWR options from PING, very solid performance matched with this head and there are a lot of options in that lineup.

Three different weights alone. Ping has a good thing going with their stock options.

I agree that they need to be hit before just ordering custom.

I have a inside out swing and found the 9.5 TS a low hook so I opened to the - setting. Its straightened out but still low. Next was the 10.5 launch was up but I felt I needed more shaft.
My advise is to demo higher loft and stiffer flex. I think the 10.5 X pwr65 would be money! I have always felt stiff or tipped trimmed stiffs 'soak up' the impact, were the x's deliver 'swing force' to the ball, resulting in more smash factor. If the X is boardy perhaps the spine in some were in the target line, so rotate it to N1
As for my F1 X I installed it with only 1' in the hosel to get it to play a tad softer (as it was 282cpm on the spine), as well as N1 to target @ 45.5 / D5 it was twanging Flo @ 271cpm. I usually play 260-265cpm, however I figured the F1 bend would not quite be as harsh as a higher bend point x. It worked out, it was set up perfect with a solid tip/butt to weild some bombs, but not be boardy.
It sure shut down the left in the - position. I have ordered a few more F1's to shaft up in the std position as I am not willing to re-set this position from the - in case I loose the setting.
All I can say is the F1 is a complete Bomber. Its delivers some additional heat over stock. I may check out a Speeder 7.1x

Had a chance to match up the I25 against the SLDR, Bio Cell +, Covert Tour 2.0, Big Bertha Alpha. Trying to bring spin down. For me the I25 won out due to its balance. Does it have SLDR CRAZY low spin. No. Does it have G25 forgiveness? No. Does it have the sound the CT 2.0 has, or the feel the BC+ has, or the super adjustability of the BBA? None of that...but it has a little of all of it. It went straighter, nearly as long, spun almost as low, etc...

I think that is part of why PING gets a pass. They often make products that are very, very good in every way, instead of selling the engineering out for one or two "killer items". Nike and Cobra are close, but they don't have the history and tradition PING enjoys that I think gives them an edge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Where does this driver fit spin wise compared the say the Cobra line?

Where does this driver fit spin wise compared the say the Cobra line?

Closer to the +, maybe a touch lower. Its a lower spin head for sure, some are getting some crazy low numbers in fact.

Closer to the +, maybe a touch lower. Its a lower spin head for sure, some are getting some crazy low numbers in fact.
That is what I gathered from reading the thread but was not sure. Makes me want to give this one a go.

When I demoed it, I was getting lower spin numbers on the i25 then the SLDR.

I installed a Fijikura Fuel Tour Spec 60x @ 45.75, D5, R1 weighted grip, 269cpm logo down (spine to target either S1 or S2 they feel similar) in my i25 10.5 head, and went out to play 18 (day1)

At first I thought the shaft would be too much for my 103-106/7 swing. I have a smooth backswing with a 'solid' transition and strong loaded downswing. I play the ball halfway between center and inside left heal (just back a tad) which is a low to mid trajectory ball flight set up. The shaft is smooth, a perfect fit, loads and hits a mid trajectory laser, rope etc.

The Fuel is transferring more ballspeed that the F1 60x with 'a lot more stability'. I will say its VERY accurate and the best bomber combo yet. The shaft hides its torque/flex and stability so its not boardy or you feel you have to go after it at all. The ping i25 likes a stiffer shaft for sure and the Fuel 60x Tour Spec is a deal @ $150. I would not cut it short under D4 swingweight, I feel this shaft needs the head heavy feel to swing it and let the club do the work. I am getting a baby draw with this set up and turning it over easy.

With my 10.5 G25 head this shaft is a straight mid/high shot that does not balloon out, also I can hit it mid by tee'ing it low. I will go to the launch monitor next week for some numbers with the two heads. I feel on the tighter courses the G25 head, and on longer open fairways the i25 head. I did get on 18 in two driving from the tips yesterday. The hole was 565 and I range finder gps'ed the pin in the back green placement at 234yards (10 back). A 330-340 drive that landed parallel near the end of the fairway bunker and got a slight downhill kick / roll. I missed the eagle putt as I did not read it well ;(
I feel this set up will get me 280-300yards The i25 has less spin for sure however a low tee with the g25 send it out as well.

You will be plesently surprised!

Very interesting indeed, thank you for sharing! Sounds like the head is going to work out well for you.

This is definitely a low spin bomber but what is amazing is how forgiving it is. Not Amp Cell forgiving but I actually had better luck with it than the G25.

This is definitely a low spin bomber but what is amazing is how forgiving it is. Not Amp Cell forgiving but I actually had better luck with it than the G25.

I'm finding mine to be incredibly forgiving w/ the stock pwr65 shaft. I feel like the stripes really help me to not only get the club aligned, but me aligned to the club as well.

Back