2010 Accenture Match Play [spoilers]

Did anyone hear the post match conversation between Ian and Serge? It seemed to me that Serge was complaining (what else is new) to Ian about that shot he took behind the tv tower that he didn't take relief on. It seemed that Ian was a little PO'd that Serge was yapping in his space. I guess Ian hears it all too much since they're neighbors.

Just saw that. Figures. I finally give Garcia props for his behavior and he goes and spoils it.

LMAO, I like Sergio and I wanted to launch into a NikeGolf diatribe defending him but I just can't do it.

Sergio is his own worst enemy.

He has his moments of decency but most of the time he's a d-bag. I was giving him the benefit of a doubt when I started following golf like he's a deck on the course but in real life he's nice sort of thing. Nope, I heard he's a whiner off the course as well. And that comes from people that have dealt with him here in our area.

I just realized that my DVR caught the post-CBS overflow coverage when it recorded the Mayacoba. Anyway, a couple of notes:

(1) I am constantly amazed how often it is the Marshalls that are moving around when they shouldn't be. On 17, I watched a Marshall walk right down the tee box after Paul Casey was finishing up his preshot routine and was setting up to hit. (btw: props to Casey for the way he handled it - politely, and he handled it himself instead of throwing a mini-tantrum while his goon caddie went the perpetrator.)

(2) Has anyone else noticed lately how many players aren't even approaching parallel with their full swings? Casey and Villegas for sure, and Stricker too.

Woke up this morning just to watch the end of this.

Villegas pulls a drive fifty yards left into the desert. Somehow, they find it for him and he literally hits it out of a bush back into the fairway.

This might only last one hole, but holy cripes.

(2) Has anyone else noticed lately how many players aren't even approaching parallel with their full swings? Casey and Villegas for sure, and Stricker too.

I have noticed it and was fascinated watching them live on the range. They swing with effortless grace, don't make huge backswings, and the ball looks like a mini rocket coming off the face. Center contact and timing must be the answer.

Anyone who watched yesterday on TV just has no appreciation for how nasty the weather actually was. I played early and the rain caught us on 13. The wind started before I got to the course at 8:30 and it was howling. The range was dead into the wind and I was hitting drivers about 175. My buddy, who has a higher ball flight, thought he was going to be able to catch his as it came back at him.

Great match. Congrats to Casey.

Hopefully the desert lives up to its name today and gets a little warmer w/ no wet stuff.

I didn't realize Paula Creamer made the final. :D

Ian is waltzing along over his opponents. I'm finally watching again as my wife left and as she has a major crush on Ian. Sometimes she is able to control her passions but with Ian all in pink today, he had her swooning.

I always like Ian Poulter in pink.

On another note - what is between the sand and the grass on the bunkers?

Is it possible that Tim Finchem is actually a muppet?

Dormant grass. That green grass is probably rye grass over seed. If I am wrong somebody will correct me. The dormant grass around the bunkers will green up when it gets warm enough this spring. The rye grass will just die out.

Muppets don't have strings--they have someone's hand up the backside.

And sticks to move their arms/hands.

But really, did anyone watching the Nance interview with Finchem? He's kinda small, has a huge head, and skinny little arms. He really reminded me of a muppet.

Nice win for Poulter. He played solid all day. I'd like to see him repeat next week at the Phoenix Open.

Did anyone see the graphic they put up about Englishmen winning on the PGA Tour since 1960?:
Nick Faldo 9
Tony Jacklin 4
Luke Donald 2
Paul Casey 1
Lee Westwood 1
Peter Oosterhuis 1
That really surprised me. Only 18 wins by English players in 50 years. And one player (Faldo) has half of those. Yikes!

Dormant grass. That green grass is probably rye grass over seed. If I am wrong somebody will correct me. The dormant grass around the bunkers will green up when it gets warm enough this spring. The rye grass will just die out.

Is it part of the course design or is there some reason for it?

I really like Paul Casey's swing. I hope he does well this season.

I wonder who is "pulling the strings".

Any questions?

Finchem says he should have briefed players
Published: February 21, 2010

MARANA, Ariz. (AP) — PGA Tour commissioner Tim Finchem took the blame Sunday for not alerting his players about why Tiger Woods chose to make his first public appearance during the Match Play Championship.

Players had to field several questions about Woods upon finishing their matches in the opening round Wednesday, when it was announced that Woods was to speak publicly Friday for the first time since the Nov. 27 car accident that revealed rampant affairs.

Most troubling to some players - Ernie Els in particular - was the perception that Woods was getting back at Accenture, the title sponsor at Match Play and the first company to drop Woods over the sex scandal.

Finchem, who allowed Woods to use the TPC Sawgrass clubhouse at PGA Tour headquarters for the nationally televised event, knew that Woods was on a break from therapy and was to return on Saturday.

"In hindsight, we should have pushed the thing along in a way to got the players briefed before they went into their Wednesday matches, some so they're not coming out of a match and getting hit with all these Tiger questions," Finchem said. "We just screwed up on that. That's just a screw-up on my part.

"You can never communicate too much in this business, and when you don't, you usually pay a price. And that was a good example."

Els was among the most outspoken when he learned of Woods' plans to speak.

"It's selfish," he told Golfweek magazine. "You can write that. I feel sorry for the sponsor. Mondays are a good day to make statements, not Friday. This takes a lot away from the golf tournament."

Finchem said he since has spoken to Els, who lost in the second round of the tournament.

"Once he understood the options available to us, and what we were looking at it ... I did say to him, 'The mistake here, given all the elements, was not getting you guys briefed.' I take responsibility for that. That's my job," Finchem said.

Woods never said specifically what therapy he was receiving or where, although a photo that appeared to be Woods was taken last month outside an addiction clinic in Mississippi.

He said in his 13 1/2-minute statement Friday that he had been in therapy "receiving guidance for the issues I'm facing," and that he was returning Saturday. Woods did not say how much longer he would be there.

Finchem repeated Sunday that Woods has not been suspended; there have been questions whether Woods' infidelity and the publicity it generated would be considered conduct unbecoming a professional. Finchem said Woods was free to return whenever he wanted.

But the commissioner had no idea when that would be.

"On the competitive side, we all know he's not going to tee it up until he feels like he can win the golf tournament," Finchem said.

Bermuda grass.

It's used in "tough" areas; open areas, extremely sunny areas like slopes and around bunkers where a lot of sand exists and the drainage is high. Bermuda is a good drought resistant grass (slopes and crowns tend to be very droughty due to runoff) and it's tough. It spreads through rhizomes and has very deep roots and can be damaged above ground (as in taking a divot) but it generally won't affect the health of the plant itself.

The only problem with it is that in order for it to actively grow and turn green, it needs a consistent temperature above 70 degrees, so in northern climates or high elevations, it will stay brown until the temps. climb.

-JP

Does Tiger win his first tournament back or his second?

This thread is about the Accenture Match Play, lets keep this one on topic please.

This thread is about the Accenture Match Play, lets keep this one on topic please.

Gladly. But when "someone" posts an article insinuating something that is totally bogus, and off topic, I couldn't resist.

Gladly. But when "someone" posts an article insinuating something that is totally bogus, and off topic, I couldn't resist.

ENOUGH!!!! The article was about Finchem's comments about THIS EVENT! Let is GO!

Back