How do you get your wife or SO in the game?

Great thread! I would LOVE to get my fiancé to play golf but she just has zero interest in the game. Ironically though I gave her a quick lesson a few years ago and let her have a go with the Titleist driver I was trying out with a stiff flex shaft. She initially struggled but a few more pointers and she was striping it. I'm not joking when I say she was carrying it at least 130/140 yards and with the tiniest fade. I was so stoked and told her how rare it is for someone to hit it that well first time out and that she could be quite good if we got her lessons etc. NO GO ! Ah well, maybe one day in the future?

I did it simply.

1) I told her it would get her out of the house. It's nice to just be outside, Cart has shade, bring a book, hang out and talk.
2) When she saw us have fun, she asked if she could hit a ball or two.
3) She asked to play 9.

It's like crumbs, the range, all in all isn't attractive to the beginner, because it's cool to bash balls, it doesn't always feel like your doing something. When you associate it to a beautiful day, or associate it to a fun time. You'd be shocked how quickly it looks fun.

Thanks for a lot of great responses. (Well, other than you folks telling me NOT to do it! ;)) I think there are 2 big keys in my favor that will make my attempt successful:

1) She LOVES outdoor activities of any kind. She just wants to be out in the fresh air, surrounded by nature.
2) She LOVES me, and I'm pretty sure will really like the idea of spending a few hours alone with me on the course. :)

Now I just have to get her there!

So what's your thoughts on approach, just going straight to the course? What course you thinkin? Good luck buddy!

Give it a little tappy, tap tap taparoo!

For me it was fairly easy, my daughter plays and we started going out on Saturday or Sunday afternoons for 9 and lunch/dinner. Mom/Wifey wanted to be part of the deal so she started taking lessons and now joins us. It's been pretty cool and now we can plan vacations together that have golf worked into them. We are off to Hawaii in the spring and golf is a centerpiece of the planning, never thought we would be a golfing couple. The other upside is that after 20+ years being together its a new way of spending more time together, which as the kids disappear becomes a good thing to share.

So what's your thoughts on approach, just going straight to the course? What course you thinkin? Good luck buddy!

Give it a little tappy, tap tap taparoo!

I figure I'll start out by trying to get her to come along with me to the range. Try to do that a couple times, then see if we can go somewhere like Hickory Knoll. And yes, there was heavy sarcasm about that course. My backyard is roughly equivalent to the "fairway" there. But that was MY first course, too! Can't beat the price! (For those of you not in our area, Hickory Knoll is a little Par 3 course that's horribly maintained but also very cheap.)

My advice -

1. Get her a set of clubs (fitted properly) and get her to take lessons.
2. Golf clothes and golf shoes! More people will see her in the clubhouse than on the course and the ladies love clothes and shoes.

Worked for me.

get her to hit some shots on the range or make some puts and chips during your round and see if she really likes it then buy her some lessons

How's this going for you? Get your wife involved at all yet?

I applaud you on wanting to include the spouse in your game.

Before I started playing golf I was a fanatical deer hunter, still am if the truth be told. My wife is a very outdoors oriented person, after about 4 years of marriage she proposed going hunting as well. I bought her a rifle, stand, blind and all of the gimmicky gear she wanted and was happy because my wife would soon share my obsession. After 3 years and no deer even seen on her part, it was more of a job than an escape for me. I got to where I dreaded having a weekend off because I knew I wouldn't enjoy it, she is very impatient and if success doesn't come immediately she is miserable. After that 3rd year she gave it up.

After all that, golf is mine. ALL MINE!

My wife wanted to go play yesterday so I got us a late afternoon tee time& 9 holes. Not being good immediately gets to her & after about 5-6 holes, she was done. Aggravated, hot, tired & wanted to be anywhere else. Kinda sucked the fun out of it.

So here's an update. I haven't done anything "real" yet. What I've been doing is bringing it up from time to time. Letting her know I'd like it if we could play together, and how I think it would be a great way for us to get out together. I think what I will do next is try to find a day where I can go play and bring her as just a ride along. Let her putt or try to hit a shot or two if she wants to, but mostly just bring her for the company and to see what it's like on the course. The hardest part about all of this is that we have a 6 month old (along with a 6 and 5 year old!) so it can be tough to do stuff with just the two of us. So this may just have to wait until next season, when our baby is older and it will be easier for us to sneak away together occasionally.

OK, this might be the year. We just moved and now live literally 5 minutes from a very nice course. They have a driving range too, so I think I'll start with that.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I like the idea of just having her ride along a couple times. Mine doesn't play, but she loves to ride around in the cart and drink beer with me (keeper, I know). She also enjoys watching the PGA events on TV when the "big dogs" are playing (as she says).

Back