Acuna

Reaction score
Handicap
long irons
My wife went ahead and ordered it last week and it came in today. I went home for lunch (I work close to the house) and had it set up in less than five minutes. Based on the five minutes I spent playing around on it, Amazon Fire seems like the real deal.

Not in any way affiliated with Amazon, just passing along my experience. If things change I will post on this thread....

Have you had any other set top boxes like the roku? Is it snappier?

Also do you happen to have a DLNA server in your house?

I'd love to hear some apple tv users who switch to the fire.

buy an xbox best of all worlds. Blows both those away. Plus you can play video games.

How does it blow it away? As I can see it, it streams similar assets, costs 5 times as much...and plays video games. For those that are not gamers, it seems like it does not come close to blowing it away.

360 is around $100 I believe, so cheap. You have xbox music, videos to rent, Netflix, Hulu, Crackle, Rogers TV on demand, one drive, you tube, MSN, you can message with smart glass, have friends list, MLB TV, plays dvd's, plays cds, can play ipod through it, Cable channels, Hockey night in Canada app, Ufc on demand with stats for your picks (can compare with friends), Nhl game center, they are releasing a go pro to you tube app soon, the Internet, cloud storage, free weekly games for download (most were $70 games at one time), Kinect, you can control with controller, phone, tablet, or voice. I know I missed a few things as I'm not at home, and the US version has more apps, but that should answer your question JB.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

I will be getting 2 of these in next few weeks. Will report back.

360 is around $100 I believe, so cheap. You have xbox music, videos to rent, Netflix, Hulu, Crackle, Rogers TV on demand, one drive, you tube, MSN, you can message with smart glass, have friends list, MLB TV, plays dvd's, plays cds, can play ipod through it, Cable channels, Hockey night in Canada app, Ufc on demand with stats for your picks (can compare with friends), Nhl game center, they are releasing a go pro to you tube app soon, the Internet, cloud storage, free weekly games for download, Kinect, you can control with controller, phone, tablet, or voice. I know I missed a few things as I'm not at home, but that should answer your question.

You also have to factor in the fact that for ALL those things you need to have XBox Live, which at it's cheapest is $60 a year. A Roku, Apple TV (And maybe Amazon I haven't read about it) cost nothing to operate those same services. Yes, it's all those wrapped into one with video game capability, but it in no way blows them out of the water.

An Apple TV can play just about anything from your iPhone, iPad, or Apple computer, Xbox can't do this. It has something similar, but you have to download an app, and it only does youtube and the apps video service. It's not the same. The price of Xbox Live per year far outweighs the price of any of these set top boxes.

360 is around $100 I believe, so cheap. You have xbox music, videos to rent, Netflix, Hulu, Crackle, Rogers TV on demand, one drive, you tube, MSN, you can message with smart glass, have friends list, MLB TV, plays dvd's, plays cds, can play ipod through it, Cable channels, Hockey night in Canada app, Ufc on demand with stats for your picks (can compare with friends), Nhl game center, they are releasing a go pro to you tube app soon, the Internet, cloud storage, free weekly games for download (most were $70 games at one time), Kinect, you can control with controller, phone, tablet, or voice. I know I missed a few things as I'm not at home, and the US version has more apps, but that should answer your question JB.

But you are also paying a yearly fee for that. Many of those services (the US versions) are available through media hubs. They offer no yearly fees. So with the differentiating factor being the games, if one is not a gamer, in my opinion I fail to see how it blows it away, outside of cost (in the wrong direction).

Our WD Live TV Hub does most of this, has a 2 TB hard drive, travels very well and streams from any device in the home with no issue along with just about every service.

You also have to factor in the fact that for ALL those things you need to have XBox Live, which at it's cheapest is $60 a year. A Roku, Apple TV (And maybe Amazon I haven't read about it) cost nothing to operate those same services. Yes, it's all those wrapped into one with video game capability, but it in no way blows them out of the water.

An Apple TV can play just about anything from your iPhone, iPad, or Apple computer, Xbox can't do this. It has something similar, but you have to download an app, and it only does youtube and the apps video service. It's not the same. The price of Xbox Live per year far outweighs the price of any of these set top boxes.

Xbox live is worth every penny, I had a few cheap friends who bought the ps3 for their free service, it sucks, they all own xbox's now. Also the you tube is being updated soon. On the one version, you will be able to upload your recorded dvr's direct to youtube, as well as the "GoPro" direct to youtube app (360). They are not done with the updating. FYI my roomates apple tv is still in the box. We own 4 xbox's (1 for each tv), 2 - ps3's (don't use), 2- xbox ones, and a ps4. The video quality is superior at least on netflix to the apple. Not sure about the amazon. The membership is worth it! You can log in on any xbox, anywhere and listen to your music or videos you have. I also watch netflix videos in a party with my friends, so we can be at 4 different locations, and watch the same movie and be able to talk amongst ourselves. Its almost like they are there watching it with me,

I wouldn't say Xbox blows it away. Like others mentioned there's a yearly fee and some of features are gimmicky at best. Also only odd ipods connect, all my new iPod touches aren't compatible.

Xbox live is worth every penny, I had a few cheap friends who bought the ps3 for their free service, it sucks, they all own xbox's now. Also the you tube is being updated soon. On the one version, you will be able to upload your recorded dvr's direct to youtube, as well as the "GoPro" direct to youtube app (360). They are not done with the updating. FYI my roomates apple tv is still in the box. We own 4 xbox's (1 for each tv), 2 - ps3's (don't use), 2- xbox ones, and a ps4. The video quality is superior at least on netflix to the apple. Not sure about the amazon. The membership is worth it! You can log in on any xbox, anywhere and listen to your music or videos you have. I also watch netflix videos in a party with my friends, so we can be at 4 different locations, and watch the same movie and be able to talk amongst ourselves. Its almost like they are there watching it with me,

Again, its worth it if you are a gamer. If you do not play video games, the features you are speaking of can be done from our hub with no annual fee.

That still means nothing to those that don't want to spend $300+ dollars plus $60 annually. Especially when you can connect your tablet or laptop to something as cheap as the chromecast and stream whatever you want.

I do want to add that Shifty is right about one thing. If you are a gamer it makes all the sense in the world because few options stream Amazon Prime free videos for some reason and that is one thing that makes the Fire so intriguing for us Prime owners.

I watched a short review on this last night. I don't get the point of these devices when I still need to pay for satellite. Am I missing something? Is there a way to get golf channel or other shows I currently watch? I can stream Netflix through my bluray. Is this a potential money saver or just another option to watch stuff?

Again, its worth it if you are a gamer. If you do not play video games, the features you are speaking of can be done from our hub with no annual fee.

To each his own I guess, but the yearly fee is nothing IMO for what you get, even if you aren't a gamer. Sorry for arguing and don't mean to sound callous, but I'm so used to arguing with cheap skates ps3 users, who would rather buy cheap (free service) than the higher quality, better stuff (xbox live service). I'm sure amazon has addressed this issue, so probably not a problem, and I'm sure you will enjoy whatever you buy.
I do pay for my mom's xbox live gold as well, cause they use it daily for tv (never played a game), and we skype 3 times a week on our xbox's as well.

Healthy debate is fine buddy.
I guess I just dont see it. Our hub does every single thing you describe above. And has no monthly fee or annual fee. So how would paying more for the device and an annual fee, be better than paying less and no annual fee? If you are a gamer I get it, but if not, I fail to see what the gain is.

Its not a knock on Microsoft, their service is fantastic if one will be partaking in gaming, because it combines gaming and media services for an annual fee and no need for a separate box.

Then add the power used by both devices if you really want to compare dollar for dollar.

I actually own both a 360 and ps3. I game on the xbox and stream from the ps3. The ps3 is vastly superior as a media device in every way even if you discount that it does not require the yearly membership. The interface is nicer in the apps, it supports dlna etc

The customer looking to buy a Fire/AppleTV/Roku isn't the same customer buying a 360/PS3/ONE/PS4.

Im not paying a yearly fee for Netfliz/HBO Go/Streaming/Etc.

The customer looking to buy a Fire/AppleTV/Roku isn't the same customer buying a 360/PS3/ONE/PS4.

Im not paying a yearly fee for Netfliz/HBO Go/Streaming/Etc.

I would disagree. It's like 2 hours of work, not a big deal for a superior product. Was the same argument my buddy who bought an apple TV had until he came over to my house, now has a 360. But like I said to each his own. I've found out many times $60 affects people. I would never buy a lesser quality Golf Club because it was $60 cheaper but that's just me.

I would disagree. It's like 2 hours of work, not a big deal for a superior product. Was the same argument my buddy who bought an apple TV had until he came over to my house, now has a 360. But like I said to each his own. I've found out many times $60 affects people. I would never buy a lesser quality Golf Club because it was $60 cheaper but that's just me.

$60.00 PER YEAR.

Why am I paying a yearly fee for services I can get through my Apple TV for free? I use an iPhone, iPad and MacBook Air and they all work seamlessly with my Apple TV.

If I had a Kindle Fire tablet, I am going to go with what works and works well.

Its not lesser quality however and its $60 per year, not one time fee.
The closer analogy would be someone that would buy a driver or a driver and tennis racket combo for $60 more. If one uses both it might make sense, if not, it won't. My media hub has the same quality output as my Xbox does. Does so faster, more seamless, quieter and on less power.

Sigh.. Ok you guys are right, I'm wrong. I did say earlier, that no matter what I say you can't convince people who have their mind made up (or cheap people who don't and won't be told) Jeez it's $60. You have no problem spending extra on iPhone and iPad when androids are cheaper and have more free apps, and are better for free stuff. And you can actually see the screen as iPhone is too small. You paid like $500 extra for what you think is a superior product with iPhone, even though it isn't. You could own a free xbox one if you bought smart, lol

Sigh.. Ok you guys are right, I'm wrong. I did say earlier, that no matter what I say you can't convince people who have their mind made up (or cheap people who don't and won't be told) Jeez it's $60. You have no problem spending extra on iPhone and iPad when androids are cheaper and have more free apps, and are better for free stuff. And you can actually see the screen as iPhone is too small. You paid like $500 extra for what you think is a superior product with iPhone, even though it isn't.

FWIW, I am an Android user. Typing this from a Windows machine. Have a Mac next to me too. Have an Xbox 360, have a media hub and have a smart TV. If someone wants to debate stuff objectively I am all for it. But that is not what is being done here.

Back