Haggis

Reaction score
Handicap
At the risk of being redundant with many a post, if you are struggling with your swing go get a 3 pack or so of lessons from a trained pro. Golf is just breaking here in Iowa with Spring. I played 1 round and had gone to the range 3 times. Swing was all kinds of funky. Started thinking about new gear. Called pro for 3 45 minute lessons for $125. Had first one tonight. Within 15 minutes I was hitting the ball so much better. They know what they are doing and I've yet to meet one who made fun of my swing so don't be scared. Trust me. They've seen a worse swing than yours. Don't let pride get in the way of you enjoying golf more. That is all.

Glad to see that you've found some early success with your pro. That's definitely a good feeling.

cool, thanks for sharing the update. sometimes they tell you what you know or have heard and thought you were doing--but you had it just a bit off-- just getting that checkup can really make a difference.

good to see you are getting results

Once you find a good instructor, seems you have, hang in there with him and watch your scores go down.

Lessons are critical for me. I recommend them

After experiencing my first ever lesson this past weekend, I can't believe I went without for so long. Even the smallest suggestions from a trained eye can do wonders.

Absolutely agree. Lessons are key for me

Definitely agree with this, and plan on doing just that in a few weeks.

Absolutely agree.... You can make great strides with lessons if you just put in the time

I just wish there was a pro closer to me that I could get some lessons from. They nearest ones to me are still and hour and 15 minutes to an hour and a half away. For me to take a lesson, I'm out half a day and $100 for travel and lesson costs. That's just more than I can justify these days... so I'll be relying on a video camera and Freddie for most of my swing advice.

I agree. My teacher always gets me back on track when I have a bad round. Thats an amazing price for 3 45mins lessons. If I had lessons that cheap around me I'd go constantly.

I agree. My teacher always gets me back on track when I have a bad round. Thats an amazing price for 3 45mins lessons. If I had lessons that cheap around me I'd go constantly.

It's one of the benefits of living in Iowa. Heck I think he said a 5 pack of 45 minute lessons is only $200.

yea , a bit easier said when you don't have to pay 55 to 65 for a half or 100 to 120 for the hour. With a handful these past couple months I have way over extended myself. Also squeezing in a lot of range time at 12bucks a bucket. I want so badly to improve. Tired of golfing for over 20 years (even though on and off) and never gotten any better so that's why I'm doing it. But honestly its been far too much money (and time for that matter) than I can afford. I'm even thinking of getting a mat so I can go to my local park (walkable for me) just so I don't keep giving the range more and more money and also save time.

$12 a bucket? Holy Shitzen. A regular bucket (80-100) balls is $5.00-7.50.

Up here in the northeast tri-state area it cost 5 bucks just to wake up in the morning.

And another 5 if you want to breathe or go to the bathroom. If you do both its even more.

Glad it worked for you. But its not for everybody.
I have taken lessons from 4 different people, and none of them worked for me.
They actually made me worse.

Glad it worked for you. But its not for everybody.
I have taken lessons from 4 different people, and none of them worked for me.
They actually made me worse.

Finally someone has said it. Could not agree more. Generally my experience taking lessons from so called pros has been very bad. Possibly partly because I am left handed; but that should not matter.

I finally started researching swing instruction. Used the internet, especially "YouTube". I developed the swing style I felt is best for me and now understand my swing well enough that I can fix it on my own when it breaks. I would gladly pay for occasional instruction, but finding good instructors is, in my opinion, an expensive crap shoot.

I posted in my welcome thread that I played golf really poorly for about 20 years. Just a hacker really. I decided to get serious about it and signed up for 6 hours of lessons from a PGA Pro. We go in 1/2 hour increments. He has changed my grip, swing and stance and the difference is dramatic. That isn't to say I don't shank several balls at a practice, but at least now I feel like I'm improving and the look and distance have greatly improved.

Granted...lessons aren't for everyone, but I think most folks can see a benefit.

Getting my first lesson (of 3) from an LPGA Pro this morning and couldn't be more excited about it! :)

I'm even thinking of getting a mat so I can go to my local park (walkable for me) just so I don't keep giving the range more and more money and also save time.

I bought a used range Mat from my driving range---real piece of crap---$25
I bought a Real Feel 10" x 30" mat for $50
I bought a Net---$50-150

In My Garage, presently. Stand on the old range mat---nice and comfy---hit off the Country Club Elite Surface.

I am a 55 year old Beginner... I played twice a year for 20 years. This year I caught the Bug.

I was a Basketball player when I was a Kid--- I pounded the ball in my driveway EVERY NIGHT. I was a Baseball player with a great arm--- I played catch almost every waking hour in the spring and summer.

So...I can't hit hundreds and hundreds of balls like I could have if I was a Kid on a Golf Course---but I am taking lots of swings. Yes...I'm missing ball flight, but I am developing a well grooved swing.

I've gone from very inconsistent contact to "right around 100" every round. I hit too many good shots to hit 100!!!! ...and too many bad shots to get to 95!!!! I will hit an 85-92 next year.

Find a way to swing the club

Sounds like a great deal Haggis! Jack Nicklaus always went back to Jack Grout for lessons at the beginning of the every year. If he needed a lesson to get back into the groove, we sure as hell do.

That was my commitment for this year- lessons. The only bad part of lessons are the pros, though.... I've been to 5 pros over the years and only one had the knowledge to be able to coach to my build and natural swing and not to one style they try to ingrain in every golfer.

I am driving over 4 hours to get to the pro that I'm going to, and im paying $130/hour. I plan on going every other month so I can put aside $50 a paycheck so I'm only out $30 at the moment I take the lesson. My first lesson was in December, and my next one is February 13. Anyway, no doubt spending money on lessons is far better, and cheaper, than continuing to buy new clubs.

Back