Low Spin Now vs. Low Spin Then

Golf Ghost

Reaction score
Just looking at some specs on my current driver head, Burner Tour from 07 or 08 and it says "for lower spin". Now Taylormade makes the SLDR, which is low spin and one of the lowest spinning heads for many people, along with BioCell+, etc.

Now, for Taylormade to say low spinning 7-8 years, how low would it be in comparison to today's driver heads? Would low spin then, be more mid spin now?

Note: I know everyone is different, but just wondering with each and every year the "lower spinning" phrase being passed around, how low was low then?

Speaking specifically for the SLDR, given its "loft up" ideology, and TM's recent pursuit of the rule of higher launch and lower spin, low spin now is probably lower spin than low spin from 6 or 7 years ago.

I preemptively and freely admit to being wrong if I am so.

I think as a whole low spin now is lower overall if you bunch all drivers together. However a few models were out 6-7 years ago that were also super low spin.

The biggest thing now is many low spin heads are offering a good amount of forgiveness. In the past it really seemed like one or the other. You either had high spin with a good amount of forgiveness or low spin with next to no forgiveness. This is just my opinion of course

I think that when you driver was new it was low spin compared to the rest of the drivers on the market but as technology has changed they have been getting lower and lower spining head

You have to keep in mind the balls they were engineered using, as well.

Back