Clubs for accuracy?

Dave9600

Reaction score
Handicap
11 ish
Hi all,

I've recently started up playing again and am still using the same set that I got together when I first started aged around 14 which were never fit for me and were just what I bought when on sale in golf shops, I'm still striving for consistency but currently shoot anywhere between 75 and 85ish, usually mostly pars and bogeys with the odd horror hole. I'm hoping to try and get some clubs and play with them for a good few years, just want some solid foundations.

I'm happy with the distance I get with my woods, but would happily sacrifice some yardage to decrease the dispersion of the shots. I know I need to go and hit some clubs but just so I have some idea before I go to the shop and get all the salesman speak, I was wondering if anyone could recommend any clubs that are built with accuracy in particular in mind? Or if there are certain characteristics of clubs (shaft length, shaft flex, head size etc) I should look out for

Just to give you some idea of my current set-up:

Driver - Offset Cobra S2 regular flex - around 280 yards on average, I aim to achieve a draw with this and usually end up down the left side (probably due to the offset), however If I try and swing hard, I tend to hit a hook. However my miss is a fade/slice.

3 Wood - Taylormade Burner Superfast regular flex - around 260+ on average, I have to work really hard to draw this and my normal shot is a slight fade with the miss being the slice.

Thanks in advance guys, loving THP so far!

If you like you Cobra driver, I would check out last year's Amp Cell. Very forgiving driver head that many on here absolutely loved.

You just need to go hit and see what works for you

If you are hitting Drives 280 + yards and 3 wood 260+ you might think about stiffer or hevier shafts to help keep it straight

If you like you Cobra driver, I would check out last year's Amp Cell. Very forgiving driver head that many on here absolutely loved.

Yeah this is one that a few friends were talking about, so will definitely check it out

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but what is actually meant my forgiveness? Is it that an off centre strike still achieves similar distance or that a poor strike is less likely to fly off line or what?

Yeah this is one that a few friends were talking about, so will definitely check it out

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but what is actually meant my forgiveness? Is it that an off centre strike still achieves similar distance or that a poor strike is less likely to fly off line or what?

Funny you mention it - we had a thread on this a few weeks ago! This should help!
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...089-What-is-quot-forgiveness-quot-in-a-Driver

You just need to go hit and see what works for you

If you are hitting Drives 280 + yards and 3 wood 260+ you might think about stiffer or hevier shafts to help keep it straight

This is something I was thinking about, I know its a basic way of looking at it, but will a stiffer shaft be less likely to hook and a softer shaft less likely to slice?

This is something I was thinking about, I know its a basic way of looking at it, but will a stiffer shaft be less likely to hook and a softer shaft less likely to slice?

For the most part - yes

Now obviously some clubs have movable weights and/or have adjustable face angles so those things can help slightly compensate for face angle-related misses.

Back