Logical Purchasing vs Impulse Buying

i am an impulse buyer on ebay, with a trigger happy finger. I have 4 drivers, 3 iron sets, 9 wedges, all of which I am trying to get rid of.

You sound like Maslow.

I'm an impulse buyer. But, I am really working on having no more impulses this year.

Undergraduate degree in Economics. See - I knew it would come in handy one day.

Total impulse buyer. Thats why I dont look at golf stuff on Ebay anymore, its just too darned tempting.

Trust me, there is nothing logical about buying the Machspeed driver; I've seen it already in person and also hit it as well.

It will be in the closeout bin by August. It's that ugly.

Not nearly as ugly as the matching fairway woods and hybrids, mind you, but still very ugly.

Get the VR if you've got to have a Nike driver. Nobody will laugh at you then.

Depends on the point of view. All of my purchases are logically subjected to scientific fact. To Liz, my selection is somewhat impulsive. It's my word against hers.

When it's a smaller purchase (under $40) I'll generally go for it if there is any chance it'll work for me. This is how I ended up with too many wedges and way too many pairs of shoes. I like the used bins a lot and if there are shoe sales/clearance you can get really good stuff for next to nothing.

The more expensive stuff I'll spend more time trying to find the best deal and generally buy it used.

I'm definitely more of a Logical buyer. I'll look over specs, test out different models, make lists, bargain shop all over for the best deal, and then sit and decide which one fits my needs/wants/budget the best. Just look over my shoe purchase thread, or the ongoing driver purchase if you need evidence - right Diane? :angel:

i am an impulse buyer on ebay, with a trigger happy finger. I have 4 drivers, 3 iron sets, 9 wedges, all of which I am trying to get rid of.

That makes 2 of us. I'm great at ebay. I wait until the last 20 seconds and then submit my highest price that I'm willing to pay :)

I'm logically impulsive. When it comes to buying equipment, I tend to research and try out different equipment until I settle on the item(s) that I want. Then I lust for them until my impulse urge overrides my logical side.

Hopefully, I'm set for a while with equipment although my urges have now turned to golf apparel (I suddenly decided I needed a golf sweater...good thing I got some golfsmith giftcards for my birthday).

Alot of both.

Trust me, there is nothing logical about buying the Machspeed driver; I've seen it already in person and also hit it as well.

Not nearly as ugly as the matching fairway woods and hybrids, mind you, but still very ugly.

You start your post by saying, "trust me". Then you proceed to say it will be in the closeout bin by August. (There goes that "trust")

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but, like it or not, the Machspeed driver is the real deal. It's a solid, awesome driver.

I highly doubt you've even seen a Machspeed driver, much less hit one.

It depends on the money situation. But I'll impulse buy on things other than golf items. And cost def. plays a huge factor.

Lately, because of all the budget cuts around here and I pretty much have everything anyways...I'm more geared to purchasing items if I absolutely need it rather than just outright wanting it. :D

thats the way decisions always should be it is a painful way to live though :laughing:

Not only have I seen it in person, I have 2 of them sitting right next to me. You are DEAD wrong. Your opinion does not mean the masses share the same opinion. They said the same thing about the Sumo, the Sumo2, and others. See there is a difference for some people. Some actually care about their scores and do not care what others think about what they put in their bag.

Its clear you are more interested in the latter. If a club performs, it stays out of the clearance bin. This club performs. Is it right for my bag? No. But it works better than most and in my opinion better than the VR.

You start your post by saying, "trust me". Then you proceed to say it will be in the closeout bin by August. (There goes that "trust")

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but, like it or not, the Machspeed driver is the real deal. It's a solid, awesome driver.

I highly doubt you've even seen a Machspeed driver, much less hit one.

As I said in my post. I have seen and I have hit the Machspeed driver.
Also, I have seen and I have hit the fairway wood. I have seen and I have hit the hybrids. I have seen and I have hit the irons. I've also tried all of the new vr woods as well.

Everyone of Tiger's misstresses look far better than the driver, fairway woods, and hybrids.

Justin Leonard and Lucas Glover both agree that the driver looks ugly. WATCH THE VIDEO! SQ MACHSPEED Driver | Nike Golf

Lucas Gover: "I think the days of only playing a club because it looks good are gone." Translation: this club does NOT look good.

Justin Leonard: "The first time I saw this driver, I kinda started laughing."
Translation: It's so funny looking, I kinda laughed.

I'll change my prediction becasue it may have offended some, discount bin by JULY.

Say want you want about the Golf Digest Hot List, but there were 15, yes 15, drivers selected as gold or silver for the issue as the industry's best for 2010. Nike's VR was selected as gold AND the machspeed irons were rated as silver. IT IS NOT A COINCEIDENCE THAT THE MACHSPEED DRIVER DID NOT EVEN GET SO MUCH AS A MENTION IN THE ISSUE. It's UGLY!

I'm logically impulsive. When it comes to buying equipment, I tend to research and try out different equipment until I settle on the item(s) that I want. Then I lust for them until my impulse urge overrides my logical side.

I don't know if "lust" is quite the state of mind I get into, but I guess it's pretty close.

That leaves me with 4 drivers, 2 sets of irons, 3 woods, 7 hybrids, and 8 putters. Oh, and 6 golf bags to hold the stuff. . . :struggle:

As I said in my post. I have seen and I have hit the Machspeed driver.
Also, I have seen and I have hit the fairway wood. I have seen and I have hit the hybrids. I have seen and I have hit the irons. I've also tried all of the new vr woods as well.

Everyone of Tiger's misstresses look far better than the driver, fairway woods, and hybrids.

Justin Leonard and Lucas Glover both agree that the driver looks ugly. WATCH THE VIDEO! SQ MACHSPEED Driver | Nike Golf

Lucas Gover: "I think the days of only playing a club because it looks good are gone." Translation: this club does NOT look good.

Justin Leonard: "The first time I saw this driver, I kinda started laughing."
Translation: It's so funny looking, I kinda laughed.

I'll change my prediction becasue it may have offended some, discount bin by JULY.

Say want you want about the Golf Digest Hot List, but there were 15, yes 15, drivers selected as gold or silver for the issue as the industry's best for 2010. Nike's VR was selected as gold AND the machspeed irons were rated as silver. IT IS NOT A COINCEIDENCE THAT THE MACHSPEED DRIVER DID NOT EVEN GET SO MUCH AS A MENTION IN THE ISSUE. It's UGLY!

Honestly, I think this club looks sharp! Is it because it has a more modern, sleek look that you don't like it? I agree, it's not "traditional" but that doesn't translate to ugly. I think it's quite beautiful.

Regardless, all that really matters is its performance. You bring up that Justin Leonard laughed at it, yet it's in his bag... he even said that he's a blade kinda guy, yet he uses this driver and that should say a lot.

Maybe we should move this discussion to the Machspeed Driver thread anyway...

Impulse all the way & once I get an idea in my head about getting something, nothing will stop me.

Honestly, I think this club looks sharp! Is it because it has a more modern, sleek look that you don't like it? I agree, it's not "traditional" but that doesn't translate to ugly. I think it's quite beautiful.

Regardless, all that really matters is its performance. You bring up that Justin Leonard laughed at it, yet it's in his bag... he even said that he's a blade kinda guy, yet he uses this driver and that should say a lot.

Maybe we should move this discussion to the Machspeed Driver thread anyway...

The main thing I care about in terms of looks is what a club looks like at address. AND THIS CLUB IS UGLY at address. It is asymmetrical and yet squarish: two words that don't belong together. The shape is horrible, the size of the hosel is horrible, the stupid circle on the face is horrible, the scoring lines are horrible. The club is a joke.
(i forget what the headcover looks like, but it certainly makes the club look better when it's in use. BECAUSE YOU CAN'T SEE THE HEAD!)

As to Justin Leonard "playing" it; I'm willing to bet JL got a pretty generous bump in his 6-7 figure yearly payout from Nike to be the "face" of this driver.
If Justin Leonard LAUGHED AT IT WHEN HE FIRST SAW IT, it's likely that everyone that sees one for the first time will laugh at it too. And it will be in your bag. Get ready to be made fun of. Closeout bin by Father's Day.

The main thing I care about in terms of looks is what a club looks like at address. AND THIS CLUB IS UGLY at address. It is asymmetrical and yet squarish: two words that don't belong together. The shape is horrible, the size of the hosel is horrible, the stupid circle on the face is horrible, the scoring lines are horrible. The club is a joke.
(i forget what the headcover looks like, but it certainly makes the club look better when it's in use. BECAUSE YOU CAN'T SEE THE HEAD!)

As to Justin Leonard "playing" it; I'm willing to bet JL got a pretty generous bump in his 6-7 figure yearly payout from Nike to be the "face" of this driver.
If Justin Leonard LAUGHED AT IT WHEN HE FIRST SAW IT, it's likely that everyone that sees one for the first time will laugh at it too. And it will be in your bag. Get ready to be made fun of. Closeout bin by Father's Day.

Are you posting again?

/sigh, followed by a shake of the head

Wow. That's really all I've got for that one.

Last edited:
Are you posting again?

/sigh, followed by a shake of the head

Do you see the question mark in the post by MSB256 that I responded to?
It means he asked me a question. So I responded.

I noticed a question mark in your post too. So I'm responding.

Yes, I am posting again.

If you stop asking questions, I'll stop posting.

But one question for you: no Method putter in your ALL Nike bag yet?

It's so cooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool! Anthony Kim has one!
He has one, but he no longer has it in his bag though.
I hope he gets a chance to see and try the Machspeed driver though, because then he would laugh. And laughing makes one happy. And happy is good.

I still like it. As long as my ball is in the fairway, I don't think I'll get too many laughs.

Back