The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to the range this morning grabbed a large bucket and got to do some work on the swing. Ran through some drills working on positions in my swing(take away, left arm extension, hand position at top)

When I got to full swings I was hitting the ball really well. My coach watched me for awhile and said the swing is looking really good and he likes the swing.

Hopped on the LM for some #'s off the recoil and steelfiber shafts and may have found a swing flaw causing the high launch angle. Time to do some work to get the ball flight more piercing.

Range session was a little shaky today but I'm okay with that. These swing changes are coming along slowly but they are coming none the less. I learned that I really need to stay on top of my short game. With just a few days away from it I can already notice a bit of a tail off.

I pounded the ball today, who knew 40 degrees would make that much of a difference lol. 2 buckets of 2, 3 and 4 irons, I really worked on the left arm and keeping it as straight as I could on the take away, it made a huge difference!!

I pounded the ball today, who knew 40 degrees would make that much of a difference lol. 2 buckets of 2, 3 and 4 irons, I really worked on the left arm and keeping it as straight as I could on the take away, it made a huge difference!!

2 iron! BOSS!

Concentrated mostly on chipping, pitching, and short swings today. Decent results. Still ocassionally chunk some chips/pitches. I also realized I can only do short swings where my arms are in the 8/9 o'clock position. Any less or more than that and I hit it fat.

Range session today working on an abbreviated backswing & forward shaft lean. First few swings were really fat then I started to strike the ball well.

Need to continue the focus on these things and incorporate the body turn into it. Promising but gonna take a lot of work.

It's days like today that make all the time and work worth it.

Hit a few to start and focused on om taking club away from my body and not inside. The problem though is when I hinged up I ended up inside and flat still which made squaring up at impact tough.

So we worked on a drill he wanted me to hinge almost immediately on my take away like I'm going to hit my back shoulder with the iron. Boom flushed it high and straight. ..assumed fluke until I did it 4 more times in a row. Sure I missed a few kinda thin but that was from either bad tempo or even with the quick hinge ending up flat. But even these misses were out there pretty long and on line and playable. Hit some more flush 1 after another. So then we worked on more of a shoulder turn he said if I can get that down its easily 10 more yards on the swing. Well that didn't go as planned and we decided to revisit later down the road if needed once I master the hinge.

So after awhile I said let's try a 5i. .High and straight...every now and then a baby draw but nothing major. From there I hit ever iron I had and saw similar results. By this point I'm in shock and then he grabs the 4 iron which I proceeded to CRUSH. May have been the first time the club had even been hit lol. Did notice as I got to mid irons I was off a smudge right but he blamed my alignment which is something I have to work on going forward.

So naturally I said let's try driver. He tells me so just swing the same way. I hit 5 balls, the last of which cleared the 247 post and was up hill and into a wind. Crazy longer than I have been hitting it and with launch I haven't experienced in 2 years. Figured to stop there worked on chipping and went home.

Best part for me is this was only lesson 5 of 12. Still work to be done.

First time in a LONG time I walked away from the range with a smile on my face.

Love it Mike, nice work brother!

Hit a small bucket and it was like I've never touched a golf club before. Down to the last 4 balls, I pulled my phone out and took a poor video, it was overcast out so not the best, but it was plain to see that I was BADLY coming OTT. My right shoulder was shooting almost straight out. It was terrible. I was going to play in my daughter's middle school fundraiser tournament next month, but now... I honestly don't know. I went from feeling OK to having zero confidence with a club in a matter of weeks :(

Well done Mr Dean, well done!!

Had a great lesson tonight and main thing I wanted to do was work on my slice with the driver. Told him that I was hitting everything pretty good, but just the driver was sick. Did some drives and he could see my nasty slices and noticed some issues. What he seen was that my weight was to much on my heels and I was putting my hands a little far forward. Made those changes and wala was hitting Fades and straight balls. I knew it was something easy but just couldn't get it figured out. All that with doing a proper release and it had really help me. After that worked in the sand trap. he was really impressed with my sand game on short shots. Then worked on some sand shots that were 50 -70 yards out. Had the pitching wedge slightly open, stance barely open and 3/4 swing and there I go. Was hitting a little behind the ball and felt good. Can't wait to get back out and do some more practice with some help tonight and bring it to the course. Gonna keep working hard on the short game and keep with it on the driver. Just love the feeling after a lesson and having something fixed and working. Makes lessons well worth it.

Little putting practice at Championsgate with Ole Gray and Miller Time tonight. Getting ready for Saturday!

Yay Deano. Love those kinds of lessons. Good call on stopping on a high note and hitting the greens.

Yay Deano. Love those kinds of lessons. Good call on stopping on a high note and hitting the greens.

Dude it was like a mic drop, turned to him and tossed the driver in the pile I had made with the irons.

Things coming along with the rtx's too

Spent about 5 hours on putting today working on ways to get things where they should be. Found a new/ancient style of putting that seemed to be perfect as well as going back to a claw grip on the regular putter.

Tap Tap Taparoo

Spent lunch out at the range today. Worked out some things with chipping and feel good about how things are coming getting that back in shape. Was hitting the ball well all around and really was a confidence boost. Then I went and putted for a while and am starting to get a better feel with the SeeMore, something that has eluded me so far with it. I was pleasantly surprised with how well I was rolling the ball today. Hopefully I can keep this up.

Great work Mike!

I spent a couple hours at the range tonight. For my full swing portion of my practice, emphasis on nothing more than keeping my left arm straight all the way through the impact zone. Making sure I had good shaft lean. I would say roughly 75 percent of the swings I made tonight were successful. Trajectory was great, and distance was good. More work will follow on this.

Short I spent a good amount of time on 30, 40, and 50 yard shots. Picking spots and going through the entire set up through the shot. I was alternating 1 ball at each spot so I could get a sense of feel for each distance without getting in a groove on a particular distance. I finished up with my last 20 balls I set the range basket out about 10 yards in front and just chipped trying to land them in the basket. I only made 4 which is not very good. So it's an indication of work is needed with this for of shot. One thing I noted was when I focused on some of the thoughts from the "short game shape up thread". It's working well, but distance control with precision needs work. It's fun to practice when thing are going well, and you get a sense of progress.

Welp, I wanted to get to the range today and work on my irons and driver a bit, had a pretty inconsistent ball striking day yesterday, and wanted to work out the bugs.

Unfortunately, I didn't feel like I accomplished much tonight. I hit some really good shots and some really terrible ones, I tried to tinker with a couple things and slowed down my motion a bit to try to smooth out the bumps, but it ended up not doing much. I'm gonna take a day or two here and just work on some drills in the net, just to see if I can rid this bit of a hiccup I am on right now. Only thing that felt great tonight was wedges, so I guess I can get excited with that.

Tomorrow is another day!

spent some time on the putting green after my round. something is off way off with my putting because i am terrible two handed main miss is right. when I putt one handed my putting is way better weather its a lag or a 4 footer.

I am baffled at the moment

Got to the range to hit a bucket before the rain hit. Got out with the swing caddie for the first time too. Swing was feeling really good and the sc100 makes range time a lot more fun. Starting to nail down my carry distances and learning how to call in the power if I need it.

That is awesome to hear, Mike. Such a great feeling and it's great to hear feeling confident. Keep it up, buddy.

Spent an hour practicing, testing, and doing some comparisons on the launch monitor. It was fine.

Spent an hour practicing, testing, and doing some comparisons on the launch monitor. It was fine.
Haha...man of few words tonight....

Haha...man of few words tonight....

Hard to describe the same thing any differently the 100th time lol!

I don't know man. I'm sort of stuck right now. Contact across the face is massively improved from where I started, I'm seeing fine distance that I can play 6500 with, but I've not got over that hump where everything just syncs up at the same time. I either get a great lower body move and a slow upper body turn or vise versa. The first one gives me best results for consistency, but I want fast/fast you know? Ahhhhhh.

I am working on not letting go of the club at the top though. Hard habit to break, but it's got to go. Right now gripping the hell out of the club, which I know is sort of the opposite of what I want to do, but I literally let go with my left hand and regrip.

Hit 3 buckets today, working on full swing and some partial yardage shots with the SC100. Full swing, yardages were really really good.

Target mode on the other hand... What on Earth. Hit one well at 74 yards, have a 43 yard one and hit it 65yds. That.. That wasn't even close. I didn't even swing past hip height. It was like someone handed me an 8i opposed to a wedge and no one told me. Gonna just blame the ball and say it was all its fault. That, and it might not be that easy to visualize a 43yd shot when you don't have a target that's 43yds out that you can see

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back