Swinging a traing aid between tee shots

prrc

Reaction score
Handicap
Ok. not sure if this legal or not. I have a playing partner that carries his orange whip training aid in his bag and swings it before a tee shot. What is the ruling on this. It's not a club so is it counted as a club while in the bag during the round. And if he is allowed to carry it can he swing in between tee shots?

No, that's not allowed once they tee off on 1 until the round is over.

According to the rules, his actions are not legal. I don't have the exact wording, but I know someone got DQ'd this year at Pebble for using a training aid between tee shots. But we aren't all pros either...

My understanding is that no aid is allowed at all

According to the rules, his actions are not legal. I don't have the exact wording, but I know someone got DQ'd this year at Pebble for using a training aid between tee shots. But we aren't all pros either...

I don't remember that, but Julie Inkster got DQ'd in 2010 at the Safeway Classic, and Jeff Overton got DQ'd in 2013 at the Crown Plaza for using swing aids.

Swinging a traing aid between tee shots

Was it Pebble Beach where someone got DQ'd earlier in the year for swinging a training aid whilst there was a delay on the tee?
Just read tpluff's answer, it was PB then.

DA Points this year at Pebble for using some green ball squishy thing that was a swinging aid while they were waiting for the 18th fairway to clear.

Thanks for the replies. I was most certain it's was against the rules in some way. Hard to DQ your buddy tho. LOL

If it was me in your shoes and I wanted to make a point without sounding like a whiner or an excuse hunter here's what I would do the next time I played with him... I would carry a couple of alignment sticks in my bag, and proceed to lay them down and line them up for every shot I took... and clamp a Tour Angle 144 on the butt of the grip before every shot I hit. I would also carry carry a couple framing levels in my bag and use them on every green before I putt, before I putt with a putter with a laser beam alignment thingy clipped on the putter head that is. I would also hit a Pinnacle distance ball with the driver, switch to an all around ball for mid length shots, and switch to the spinniest ball I could find for greenside shots.... I would also add an extra wedge or fairway wood to my bag and write "Swing Trainer" on it with a sharpie...no man it isn't a 15th club it's a practice aid... and by all means I would have to keep my club wrenches in my pockets and dial a bit more loft or draw bias into every club I could before each shot I use them on.

Because the one truth in life is that it's fun to bust your buddies balls, but it's way way more fun if you can trick him into busting his own.....hahahahaha

Thanks for the replies. I was most certain it's was against the rules in some way. Hard to DQ your buddy tho. LOL

If it's a casual round, let him swing it. Bigger fish to fry.

Precisely. Unless you guys have money/bet riding on the round, what does it matter if he practices a little?

If he's holding up play, that's where my issue would lie.

Precisely. Unless you guys have money/bet riding on the round, what does it matter if he practices a little?

If he's holding up play, that's where my issue would lie.

Completely fine with me, too. People were only answering the question though.

Golf was meant to be enjoyed , if a tourney . I would say no .. But then I see guys using gps on carts and cell phones in tourneys .hmmm!
And the carts are part of a lot of tourneys . So how does one deal with gps in carts ?

Golf was meant to be enjoyed , if a tourney . I would say no .. But then I see guys using gps on carts and cell phones in tourneys .hmmm!
And the carts are part of a lot of tourneys . So how does one deal with gps in carts ?

GPS is not automatically illegal. Neither are cell phones.

Probably just a local rule that allows it

So it is legal to use a GPS device in a tourney? Cell phone or in cart ? I find that hard to grasp. No disrespect , but if that is the case. Than I will use my bushnell each round

So for sake of curiousity, DA Points would have been okay if he placed a tee under his arm and made some swings to practice staying connected? In the article he says it's okay if you use something that's normally in your bag and not specifically a training aid.

So it is legal to use a GPS device in a tourney? Cell phone or in cart ? I find that hard to grasp. No disrespect , but if that is the case. Than I will use my bushnell each round

What's the point in owning it if you aren't going to use it? I use my Bushnell Neo-X watch every hole of very round.

As long as the scoring committee deems it legal for play, the you're great.

Decisions-on-Rules-of-Golf-Info-Graphic.jpg

In most tournaments around here you can use a rangefinder as long as you don't have the elevation feature. As far as the orange whip, let him use it, who cares. If it's a tournament, the officials will take care of it. Most amateur hackers break little rules here and there. Generous on good good, when in stroke play, which most of us are playing there is no good good, mulligan on first hole or one per nine, all kinds of other little rules that don't really hurt much in the scheme of things and makes the game more enjoyable for you, your partner, or both. As long as you aren't holding up the pace of play, I'm fine with whatever you want to do, my only request is if you've been breaking the rules for 18 holes don't trash talk at the end of the round.

GPS and rangefinders have been allowed under local rule in tournaments since 2006. The USGA is going to allow them in the amateur championships this year too.

Back