Chomping at the Bit

ClairefromClare

Give 'em Helen!
Reaction score
Handicap
Brazilian
Those of us in the frozen north can't wait for golf season to start. Reading about our friends further south, and about the Florida golf outing, is just making it worse. Sometimes when the beginning of the season is just weeks, not months, away it's that much harder not to have it.

So--what are you doing to get ready for golf season? How are you tuning up your game, your gear, yourself?

I'm taking GolfTec lessons, which means I'm drilling indoors every day. If I can move my car tomorrow, I'm buying spikes and getting my clubs regripped. I'll probably pick up a new glove and some balls, too. Just touching new golf stuff makes it easier to bear.

Last edited:
I'm taking lessons every other week and hitting the range in between. Reading the dang internet like it's going out of style. I've got almost all the gear I will need. Just waiting on a 2nd pair of shoes to come from TGW.

Also, I've been going to sleep every night envisioning my tee shot off of number 1. It's going to go straight this time. I just know it. :banana:

I was thinking the same thing, I am itching to start playing. I went to a golf expo/blow out sale today and it is making things worse. Picked up some new balls and took a look at the irons. I will be buying new irons this year and have been reading a lot of reviews. I plan to have a club fitting, but want to wait until I am back to swinging before I have the fitting and start demoing clubs. The tough thing is....I want them now! :excruciating:

They had a fantastic price on the MX-200. I almost just bought them, but I haven't tried enough clubs out to say for sure they will be the set I want, but they are on the short list. If I end up going with them, I will be kicking myself. Tough to walk away today, but the smart decision...hopefully.

I was thinking the same thing, I am itching to start playing. I went to a golf expo/blow out sale today and it is making things worse. Picked up some new balls and took a look at the irons. I will be buying new irons this year and have been reading a lot of reviews. I plan to have a club fitting, but want to wait until I am back to swinging before I have the fitting and start demoing clubs. The tough thing is....I want them now! :excruciating:

They had a fantastic price on the MX-200. I almost just bought them, but I haven't tried enough clubs out to say for sure they will be the set I want, but they are on the short list. If I end up going with them, I will be kicking myself. Tough to walk away today, but the smart decision...hopefully.

Just buy them before the Quint State Classic, so you can show them off to us!

I replaced every club in my bag this year, it was long overdue, so I've been hitting into the net at the indoor range and playing on the simulator weekly so I don't lose what I gained last year and feeling out the new clubs.

We were doing so well weather wise here...just when it looked like we'd be golfing in early March, we get a foot of snow over the last two days. :angry:

Not all of us in the frozen north are chomping at the bit to play golf. Im still enjoying hockey season.
Having said that, Ive been getting ready for the golf season by practicing chipping and putting on my living room floor and by going to the driving range.

I'm not doing anything to get ready. Did go to the range last weekend, took my grandson & he hit more of the bucket of balls than I did. First time I have been to the range since golf ended for me in November.

I really hate to seem like the Grammar Police, but the phrase "Chomping at the bit" has always been a pet peeve of mine and I just wish to say...

It's Champing at the bit, not "chomping".

OK, I've got that off my chest...carry on! :thumb:

-JP

By the way, if anyone uses the phrase: "Stomping ground", I'll be back.

hmmmmmm :eek:)

hmmmmmm :eek:)

I just can't wait to get old Calloway, Tha Shanks, & Setho in Georgia because hey, that's my "Stomping Grounds" :alien2: I'm going to put something on em, Ajax won't take off :D

JP,,, you want a good butt whuppin too? Come on down to the "stomping grounds :D
Blairsville Ga, April 23rd - 25th :D

:wink: You got to get your strokes right so I figure bating these boys is like getting ready for a dove shoot :banana:

I just can't wait to get old Calloway, Tha Shanks, & Setho in Georgia because hey, that's my "Stomping Grounds" :alien2: I'm going to put something on em, Ajax won't take off :D

JP,,, you want a good butt whuppin too? Come on down to the "stomping grounds :D
Blairsville Ga, April 23rd - 25th :D

:wink: You got to get your strokes right so I figure bating these boys is like getting ready for a dove shoot :banana:

i'm not too worried about ya gray, you have a bag full of cobra stuff :D

I really hate to seem like the Grammar Police, but the phrase "Chomping at the bit" has always been a pet peeve of mine and I just wish to say...

-JP

Sorry 'bout that--I'm not a horse person. If Hacker wants to change the thread title (I can't), it's fine by me.

Sorry 'bout that--I'm not a horse person. If Hacker wants to change the thread title (I can't), it's fine by me.

Are you sure you can't? Go to the first post, click edit, and then select "Go Advanced".

Maybe it's been too long though.

Are you sure you can't? Go to the first post, click edit, and then select "Go Advanced".

Maybe it's been too long though.

Smallie PMd me the same thing--I can change the title of my post, but not the title of the thread.

Just when it was starting to warm up here (Toronto, Canada), Mother Nature decided to dump another few inches of snow on our laps this week. Thankfully, I live relatively close to both an indoor and outdoor heated driving range. The indoor range conveniently has a nice short game/putting practice area as well as a faux bunker.

When not at the range, I'm hitting the gym or playing volleyball.

At home, I chip in the backyard, putt on the carpet, swing in front of a mirror.

At work, I surf the internet looking for golf deals.

Yup, basically, I go crazy over the winter (and I just started golfing last summer). :doh:

Smallie PMd me the same thing--I can change the title of my post, but not the title of the thread.

Isn't the title of your post, if it's the first post, the title of the thread?

Harry's the one who told me about that. I figured if you could still edit the post, you could edit the title, if it's the original post.

Isn't the title of your post, if it's the first post, the title of the thread?

Harry's the one who told me about that. I figured if you could still edit the post, you could edit the title, if it's the original post.

It's changed on my post, but not on the thread. Go figure.

Must have been too long. It worked when I did it, but it was only a few minutes before I noticed I wanted to change it.

Must have been too long. It worked when I did it, but it was only a few minutes before I noticed I wanted to change it.

Well, Mom always did like you best.

They had a fantastic price on the MX-200. I almost just bought them, Tough to walk away today.

You're a better person than me Soxy. Depending what the price was, I may have taken them if the price was that good!

Back on topic. :)

I'm with you Claire. I haven't played since last year and this has been one brutal winter. I've putted indoors, hit a few balls at the range, gone to the gym regularly, really worked on my impact position, and will start lessons in the next week or so. I also keep cleaning my clubs. Everything is ready. Now, it's just a matter of Mother Nature cutting us some slack. And, I too wish I were going to the THP golf outing. I'm know it will be a great time!

Well being in the frozen tundra of Maine last weekend I hit balls at the school across the street both days. Today I started to learn how to hit balls around trees in my front yard by hooking/slicing around them. Damage Control by Pelz showed me the way.

Global warming is awesome. It's been 40 degrees and very little snow on the ground. It's been staying south and falling in texas and georgia instead. Makes up the the 10+ feet we got last year.

Also been doing a little chipping in the basement and I just cleaned my grips for the first time ever. 5 - 6 years after buying the clubs :banghead:

I was out driving around today and decided it's time for me to start chomping at the bit so I'm ready when my old stomping grounds open up in five or six weeks.

My daughter has been struggling at the dome and is tired of indoor drills, so I decided today that to make it more fun for her, I'm going to start hitting along side her. I'm going to work on the same things she has been working on, even though hitting off mats makes my old thumbs hurt.

Kevin

-JP

The word Chomping is a variant of Champing, so while it might not be the correct saying, Its not necessarily incorrect either. I say chomp away.

Back