Callaway X2 Hot Hybrid Preview

There is just something about these. I was hitting mine off of grass at the range today and the 3h and 4h were just so easy to get the ball up and out there.

I didn't even attempt to tee it up today and was just hitting it off the ground and was still launching it 230 with ease. This is going to be a fun club to use I can see already.

I but it just carries, even in the wind.

This is what I love most about these hybrids. I've never hit a hybrid that can hold a line in the wind like these can.

This is what I love most about these hybrids. I've never hit a hybrid that can hold a line in the wind like these can.

Yes sir. Very nice for me, but still playable in normal conditions. You should watch JB hit his sometime. It's hardly fair.

Yeah I'm still a big fan of my 3h and it's become a reliable second shot on par 5's and/or tee shot for long par 3's/short par 4's. Even when I mis hit it, it still more often than not gets the ball out there for me in play, albeit loss of distance.

I was toying with the 5h today and even though I have an x Hot 5h, I like the way this one sets up better and the sound at impact is much better IMO. The question at this point is probably if I go with the 4 or 5h, I'll have to hit them side by side and see which one fills a distance gap better. I think both might be overkill, but you never know.

Looking to get a 23* pro hybrid to potentially replace the 4 iron

Still struggling with this thing mightily. Last years XHot was my go to from all conditions. I can only hit this from the fairway with any success and I really dont get much elevation from it. Just use it on long par 4's or par 5's top get it up the fairway.

you just hitting low line drives, ricky?

Yeah. And not getting much use out of it from the rough which is why I loved the XHot so much. I have a 3HY right now but will probably go with the 5Hy in my MC bag just so I can get a little higher ball flight.

Yeah. And not getting much use out of it from the rough which is why I loved the XHot so much. I have a 3HY right now but will probably go with the 5Hy in my MC bag just so I can get a little higher ball flight.

Interesting. I wonder if it has to do with the shape of the bottom of the club/leading edge. Last year's hybrid seems to be more rounded/pointed where as this year's seems to be flatter.
Screen-Shot-2013-11-08-at-5.09.23-PM.png

Interesting. I wonder if it has to do with the shape of the bottom of the club/leading edge. Last year's hybrid seems to be more rounded/pointed where as this year's seems to be flatter.
Screen-Shot-2013-11-08-at-5.09.23-PM.png

Absolutely it does. When I read they went away from the Warbird design, I was immediately nervous. Just going to keep working at it and see what I come up with.

Absolutely it does. When I read they went away from the Warbird design, I was immediately nervous. Just going to keep working at it and see what I come up with.

Also aside from the club head itself contributing to lower launch, might want to consider the shaft as well. I have the tour green in my 16* and while I like it, it's flighting the ball too low for me. Knowing this game is as much mental I think I need to get a shaft I like in there soon.

Also aside from the club head itself contributing to lower launch, might want to consider the shaft as well. I have the tour green in my 16* and while I like it, it's flighting the ball too low for me. Knowing this game is as much mental I think I need to get a shaft I like in there soon.

Yeah I have the stock shaft in it. If I do go with them in my MC bag it will be with whatever the highest launching shaft is that is offered. Maybe something like a Matrix Ozik Altus.

Whatever you do, don't listen to your captain *alienthingy*

I write that with a giant devlish grin on my face by the way :)

Well, I put my brand new X2 Hot Pro 18* into play today in my 9 hole league. All I can say is WOW. Still trying to wrap my head around what happened the 5 times I hit it, but it was spectacular. I cannot believe how hot the face is on this club. I was hitting it 10 - 20 yards further than I was expecting to, and was out hitting the other guys by 20 to 40 yards and they were hitting driver. Its absolutely ridiculous. In a quick range warm up, my SC100 was showing me that I was getting 150+ ball speeds, and a smash factor of 1.49. 1.49 with a small profile hybrid!!! And the sound, my lord the sound is so solid. Its addictive. I was almost doubting the SC100 readings until I started seeing the results on the course. Of the 5 I hit, 2 were dead straight, 2 were 5 yard draws and 1 was a 5 yard fade. The fade just missed the fairway, one of the straight balls went through the fairway long on a dogleg, and one landed on the green 270+ yards away!!

Without tracking with GPS, I was almost in disbelief where the ball kept ending up. I went back to google earth tonight to verify the distances, and of 5 times I hit it, the shortest was 255 yards, the longest 280 (270 carry).

I really don't know what else to say at this point, I cannot imagine a better club than this that is still legal to play. Outside of maybe par 5s, I'm not sure I need anything more than this off the tee. Here's a screenshot of the SC100. I don't think its gauging carry accurately with the 3 Hybrid setting, but there is no 2 hybrid to set it to. But look at the club head speed and ball speed. Unreal! Wish I could get this smash factor with my driver! My playing partner was amazed at what I was doing with this club. He said, "that's the best sounding club I've ever heard". When I told him I just got it earlier today, he just laughed and asked, "when are you selling your driver"?

I've been a Cleveland Mashie user for a couple years now, and they are solid hybrids no doubt, but they can't touch what I'm doing with this one. Now I want more, why not a 16, 20 and 23 to round out the top of the bag?

I tried using the X2Hot Pro hybrid out of the pine straw for the first time today. I had never thought about hitting hybrid from the trees, but I was hitting my second shot on a Par 5, and I wanted to get to an uphill position in front of the green. Plus, I feel like I can hit a draw easier with the X2Hot hybrid than the Apex 4i.

At at any rate, the 18* performed beautifully. It cut right through the straw and didn't dig. It launched the ball out of the trees, stayed straight, and put my in a really nice position up the hill and on the top tier before the green. Set up a nice birdie attempt.

I tried using the X2Hot Pro hybrid out of the pine straw for the first time today. I had never thought about hitting hybrid from the trees, but I was hitting my second shot on a Par 5, and I wanted to get to an uphill position in front of the green. Plus, I feel like I can hit a draw easier with the X2Hot hybrid than the Apex 4i.

At at any rate, the 18* performed beautifully. It cut right through the straw and didn't dig. It launched the ball out of the trees, stayed straight, and put my in a really nice position up the hill and on the top tier before the green. Set up a nice birdie attempt.

Distance guesstimate with the 18*? Tee and turf?

I just ordered an X2Hot 22* with United Miles... I know I should wait, but I couldn't help myself!!!

Want a standard hybrid 4 so much. Have to wait though..:banghead:

Got to work with my 20* pro tonight and I must say it fits into my bag a little better than I thought. Hopefully I can stretch a little more distance out of my 5i to close the gap a bit but for now I think I am going to stick with my same setup and drop the 4i and add the 50*

I was really enjoying what I was seeing out of the hybrid tonight. Mid-high flight and just a nice easy swing to accomplish that. Looking forward to keep getting out and playing with this and seeing those score drop.

What's your current gap looking like?

Its a little longer at 15-20 yards but I think I can manage that on most courses.

Definitely. I'm seeing a a 20 yard gap between the 20* and my 4 iron

I basically hit my 5i just as long as my 4i. So I can see how that works for you. Haha

Back