Gamed the Adams CB3 irons this weekend for the first time, solid irons, one question?

golfdawg

Reaction score
Handicap
I am very impressed with the looks, and feel of these irons(very soft, but solid), the 4 iron saved about 4-5 stokes that day as well.

Biggest thing is that I missed my target left 5 or 6 times by a fair amount on what i thought where decent swings. I need to figure that miss out, they hooked a bit more than i am used to, as a pull/hook is my miss, it seems a bit exaggerated with these. The KBS 90 shaft does get them up a bit high, but for now i can work with it, and the spin is there that is certain.

These irons have more offset than i am use to, so will need my fitter to watch me hit through the set and to really tell how these are set up for me , and if some tweaks are needed.

I would really like to find the three iron for this set, but ADAMS is all out of CB3 components , and no luck online either. If anyone has any idea or has seen a CB3 three iron in the wild, i would appreciate any knowledge on how to find one.

They're like hen's teeth!

I've never seen one anyway. :-(

The 3 iron for that set was a custom order, probably won't find one but I guess there are some out there.

The 3 iron for that set was a custom order, probably won't find one but I guess there are some out there.

yes i know, thought about getting a 4 iron, adding .5 inch, and bending it 2-3 degrees , would be interesting.

yes i know, thought about getting a 4 iron, adding .5 inch, and bending it 2-3 degrees , would be interesting.

Let me know. I have a 4i sitting upstairs not being used. Never hit it do it's practically new.

They're like hen's teeth!

I've never seen one anyway. :-(

how have you found the CB3's, with just one range session and one round i saw some things i really like. The hooking/pull miss has me a little worried.

I gamed the Adams for about a year before moving to my Mizuno MP 54. The Adams were great and I looked for about six months trying to find a 3 iron and got lucky with a mint one on Ebay. Keep looking on Ebay and you might get lucky but I will say I had to pay 100.00 for it.

how have you found the CB3's, with just one range session and one round i saw some things i really like. The hooking/pull miss has me a little worried.

I've been gaming my CB3s for around 18 months and still think they are great. They feel a wonderful combination of smooth and solid, which I have no doubt is down to both the head and the excellently paired KBS shaft.

I don't work the ball left and right a great deal, but I do frequently flight the ball high and low depending on conditions and the CB3s are incredibly competent in that regard. The forgiveness offered by the CB3s belies the compact head shape as well; granted this is not a blade / muscleback, but it's a visually pleasing package and in no way screams SGI.

I would love to play something from the 'player's iron' category and think I would benefit from that increased precision in certain clubs, but the forgiveness penalty I believe would overpower any derived benefit. I may buy the odd ebay iron or iron set this year to experiment, but I expect to end the season with CB3s in my bag.

Regarding your pull, it's difficult to comment in all honesty. My bad shot is a pull, but that is true throughout the bag from driver down to gap wedge. The KBS 90 shaft is relatively light (not sure what you've played previously) and the 'stiff' flex is not as stiff and the 'stiff' flex in their other offerings... so the reduced weight and/or stiffness could, theoretically, mean you're struggling to keep the club on the correct swing plane during the downswing given the new clubs and shafts are unfamiliar. I certainly wouldn't be too concerned if you've only played the irons once - give them a few rounds to get used to them .

Well i have to say i am looking forward to getting 3 rounds in with these irons next week down in Charleston. They swing so easy, and i think i fixed my pull hook i was getting on occasion last rounds.

I have to adjust for the amount of offset on these compared to my Epons, at my set up, i believe i was setting up with the face closed, and then add the offset, and slightly more tip soft shaft i was getting that pull hook on even good swings.

Last night i as getting either a very straight or slight 2-4 yard draw 90% of the time and looking forward to putting these to the test, and learning just what kind of distances i am getting.

I have a CB3 4 iron that has been bent to 20 degrees and its the business!

I only play it a couple of times a year when its really windy and i can play it below the wind.

I have a CB3 4 iron that has been bent to 20 degrees and its the business!

I only play it a couple of times a year when its really windy and i can play it below the wind.

yes i have one on the way soon, and my club guy is ready to work his magic on it.

I love mine. The offset is progressive but not SGI progressive. I'm no swing doctor but I never blame equipment.....remember. ...it's not the arrow.

I love mine. The offset is progressive but not SGI progressive. I'm no swing doctor but I never blame equipment.....remember. ...it's not the arrow.

no it was my fault 100%, but i had to think my way through it, and last night, i just opened the face to square and they did their job.

no it was my fault 100%, but i had to think my way through it, and last night, i just opened the face to square and they did their job.
I think they'll make their way in your bag if you give em a fair shake. With most sets nowadays its hard to find a set of irons with zero offset, and if you learned the game with an old set of wilson muscle back blades it might take a round or 2 to adjust but for me I actually play a cut but with these I get a nice 7 yard baby draw on mid to short irons. They really are some quality sticks.

Last edited:
What I meant was it's hard to find a set nowadays with zero offset. Loll

Just got my set, so far I am impressed.

Just got my set, so far I am impressed.

Glad you are enjoying them, i am putting them to the test this weekend with 3 rounds, hope to get a better idea of how they are flying, will have all sorts of weather to test them in. From Rain and a breeze, to 70 cloudy, to 80 and sunny on the last day.

Glad you are enjoying them, i am putting them to the test this weekend with 3 rounds, hope to get a better idea of how they are flying, will have all sorts of weather to test them in. From Rain and a breeze, to 70 cloudy, to 80 and sunny on the last day.

Sounds good I hope to put mine to the test some more as well. Only thing I wish to change is the shafts. I think the high ball flight of the tour 90 is costing me a little distance. Still the best clubs I've ever gamed.

Back