R9 v R9 Supertri Motore Comparison

vicar

Banned
Reaction score
to those who've hit the R9 motore and R9 supertri motore ...

besides the supertri motore being lighter and having a softer tip ... is there any other difference between the original R9 motore and the motore in the R9 supertri?

i'm most curious about the feel ... the motore in the original r9 (stiff flex) felt boardy to me ... so i use the R flex ... however with the R9 460 the aldila S is just fine (while the R was too loose) ...

does the supertri motore feel like the motore in the original r9 or does it seem softer/stiffer in feel ... please let me know what flex you hit with your answer as well ... thanks ...

It is 5 grams lighter and according to TM launches the ball higher and with a higher spin rate.

It is 5 grams lighter and according to TM launches the ball higher and with a higher spin rate.

thanks ... yeah knew about that as mentioned above ... was more interested if the shaft still feels stiff across flexes ... many people (myself included) thought the motore in the original r9 played on the stiff side for all flexes ... wondering if it's the same or if motore might have softened the flex properties so it feels more true to flex in the supertri ... will certainly go bang a few at gg to see for myself ... but curious what people who hit them both think ...

Well I just got my ST delivered and it has been pretty crappy out so have not had a chance to hit it at the range. Will probably go this weekend and will tell you the results.

Well even though it was cold and windy I just had to hit the driver today. I can say that the stock Motore shaft is actually pretty good for me. It didn't feel too stiff at all. I was hitting my straight shots straight and was hitting my knuckle fades perfect. Heck I might not even get an upgraded shaft for this driver. I am losing a little distance from last year's FT-9 though. Could have been the 20+ mph wind or the fact that I cut this driver down to 44.5. But man after the first range session with the ST I am in love!!

Well even though it was cold and windy I just had to hit the driver today. I can say that the stock Motore shaft is actually pretty good for me. It didn't feel too stiff at all. I was hitting my straight shots straight and was hitting my knuckle fades perfect. Heck I might not even get an upgraded shaft for this driver. I am losing a little distance from last year's FT-9 though. Could have been the 20+ mph wind or the fact that I cut this driver down to 44.5. But man after the first range session with the ST I am in love!!

Sounds like you like it. But did I read correctly? The FT-9 hits longer for you than the Supertri? Maybe there's too much spin with TMs new driver. Head is supposed to have cog lower and deeper for more spin, and the shaft is also supposed to create more spin. Maybe TM went spin overboard.

Maybe TM went spin overboard.

There goal was to have a driver for every type of golfer in the R9 line. Now they have that. The SuperTri is not there to replace the others, but to be different than the others.

There goal was to have a driver for every type of golfer in the R9 line. Now they have that. The SuperTri is not there to replace the others, but to be different than the others.

Don't know if I agree with that, it's certainly not advertised as a driver to round out the category for a different group. TM is marketing it like they do all their drivers, as the most popular driver on tour, longest ever, etc.

I like the brand in general, and their business model works, but sometimes they're obviously disingenuous attemptiong to justify that model and stave off criticism of its strategy (for example saying they didn't have the technology to do a 460 with mwt was pretty lame, but they had to say something).

In any event, I do agree that people benefit from different rates of spin. So this should benefit slow swing speed players. But this driver isn't being marketed towards slow swing speed players. It's being marketed to anyone who wants to have the longest driver ever. Right or wrong.

Don't know if I agree with that, it's certainly not advertised as a driver to round out the category for a different group. TM is marketing it like they do all their drivers, as the most popular driver on tour, longest ever, etc.

So does every other company. But your last line is correct. It is the one that is most popular on tour now (according to Darrel Survey) and it is the longest. More spin creates more distance.

Sounds like you like it. But did I read correctly? The FT-9 hits longer for you than the Supertri? Maybe there's too much spin with TMs new driver. Head is supposed to have cog lower and deeper for more spin, and the shaft is also supposed to create more spin. Maybe TM went spin overboard.

Well to be fair it isn't an apples to apples comparison. My FT-9 was 45" as compared to the 44.5" for the ST. I had two premium shafts with the FT9 as compared to the stock 60 gram Motore with the ST. I also can't say definitively that I am losing distance as there was some crazy wind going on yesterday.
What I can say is that the ST is point and shoot and the FT9 was not that at all. Set up for the knucklefade and it was perfect with the ST. Last year with the FT9 I couldn't tell you if the ball was going to fade or slice. Try just a straight drive and the ST delivered. FT9 was not so easy.
I'm hoping to get on the course tomorrow and see the distance I'm getting with the ST with the stock Motore as I would love to just be able to stick with it instead of spending crazy cash on a shaft. I'm also setting up an appt to get on a LM to see what my numbers are with this.
I will say this. After one session at the range in the conditions I was hitting in(I was the only one at the range as the cold wind was really pretty bad) I have never been as happy as I was yesterday. Just a very solid driver.

So does every other company. But your last line is correct. It is the one that is most popular on tour now (according to Darrel Survey) and it is the longest. More spin creates more distance.

lol i was taught you don't insult a man in his own home ... so i'll be polite ...

taylormade pays more players to play their clubs ... of course they will be the most popular ... and more spin creates more distance for slower swing speeds ... past a certain point (definitely for most accomplished players and professionals) too much spin balloons the ball ...

naturally all companies will aggressively market their products ... year to year you'll see a company market a driver as low spin for more penetrating longer distance ... and then the next year with more spin for higher launch and more distance ...

true statements ... but deceptive ...

and i understand you don't bite the hands that feeds ... but tm claiming they are the leader in technology and innovation and optimization ... yet didn't have the technology to create the supertri until a year after the r9 is released is plainly dishonest ... and should be called out for what it is by anyone offering up an objective opinion ...

capitalism is great ... and taylormade knows if they release all variations of the same driver at the same time it will only serve to create competition within its own brand ...

so it delays release of the clubs knowing there will be many people who buy an r9 and then see the r460 (who would have bought that had it been available initially) ... so these people sell their r9 and buy the 460 ... and these same people see the supertri, and like that best, so they sell their 460 to buy the supertri ...

that's their model .... that's how they make money ... and i have some tm clubs that i like quite well ...

if i worked for TM or had a business association with them i'd certainly defend them and toe the line ... but speaking objectively with no such associations ... i think it's comical and disingenuous that they continue to offer fallacious cause (like they didnt have the technology to create the supertri or other some other club earlier) to justify their business strategy ...

they might do enough for me to buy a club from them here and there ... but not nearly enough to be so loyal to them that i put them (or any other company absent above mentioned association) beyond reproach ...

What I can say is that the ST is point and shoot and the FT9 was not that at all. Set up for the knucklefade and it was perfect with the ST. Last year with the FT9 I couldn't tell you if the ball was going to fade or slice. Try just a straight drive and the ST delivered. FT9 was not so easy.

I will say this. After one session at the range in the conditions I was hitting in(I was the only one at the range as the cold wind was really pretty bad) I have never been as happy as I was yesterday. Just a very solid driver.

and that's really all that matters ... with all this talk of spin and such, ironically i actually prefer the ft-5 to the ft-9 on most days because it's a higher spin head and that benefits me ... so i'll definitely be checking out the st ... will be curious to hear about your numbers ...

Not true. In fact, not even close.

lol shaking head ... ok you're right
Spoiler
sarcasm
... taylormade doesn't have more endorsement deals with players to play their drivers than any other company ... and i'm not even talking about the non disclosed deals ... there's no reason to deny it ... people are compensated for their endorsement all the time ... it is what it is ... in fact tm has always been a leader in handing out driver endorsement deals ... Hitting The Green: Top Golfers’ Endorsement Deals ... in any event ... in the future just be sure when to not use the word fact so loosely ... at least with me ... :act-up:

You want to talk facts. YOu did not say Drivers, you said clubs.

Titleist pays more players to play their clubs than any other brand. Look it up, it is fact and I can bring you the latest Darell Survey and Golf Data Tech numbers on monday morning to back it up.

And By the way, your link is VERY old. I think that was from 2005!!!

Sergio is not affiliated with Maxfli, Vijay is not affiliated with Titleist, TW and Buick, Ells, heck the entire list looks off.

Last edited:
You want to talk facts. YOu did not say Drivers, you said clubs.

Titleist pays more players to play their clubs than any other brand. Look it up, it is fact and I can bring you the latest Darell Survey and Golf Data Tech numbers on monday morning to back it up.

And By the way, your link is VERY old. I think that was from 2005!!!

Sergio is not affiliated with Maxfli, Vijay is not affiliated with Titleist, TW and Buick, Ells, heck the entire list looks off.

lol listen i don't want to argue with you ... facts are facts ... opinions are opinions ... i just suggest you keep them separated ...

the link i gave you was to show tm has been throwing around endorsements for a long time ... (think i wrote that even) ... 8 of top 25 is pretty significant ... and good for them ... as i said no reason to deny it or act like it's a bane ... that's part of their strategy ...

and you can post whatever you please referencing ds and gdt ... taylormade is big on endorsements ...

lastly you're a smart man you don't need me to spell things out for you ... this is a driver thread ... we were talking about what's the number one driver on tour ... did i have to spell it out i was talking about driver endorsements? lol come on relax ...

anyway ... this off base from my interest now anyway ... all i really wanted to know about was spin ... comparison ... people who've hit this .. the shaft ... etc ...

snow break ...

lol listen i don't want to argue with you ... facts are facts ... opinions are opinions ... i just suggest you keep them separated ...

the link i gave you was to show tm has been throwing around endorsements for a long time ... (think i wrote that even) ... 8 of top 25 is pretty significant ... and good for them ... as i said no reason to deny it or act like it's a bane ... that's part of their strategy ...

and you can post whatever you please referencing ds and gdt ... taylormade is big on endorsements ...

lastly you're a smart man you don't need me to spell things out for you ... this is a driver thread ... we were talking about what's the number one driver on tour ... did i have to spell it out i was talking about driver endorsements? lol come on relax ...

anyway ... this off base from my interest now anyway ... all i really wanted to know about was spin ... comparison ... people who've hit this .. the shaft ... etc ...

snow break ...

I have no opinion one way or the other. You said TM sponsored more players for clubs and my response was "no they dont". That is fact. Not an opinion.

You chose to come back with stats that are from 5 years ago and are not correct or relevant. I never said anything about them not sponsoring a ton of players. They do, and it is what it is. But my facts are supported. THey are facts, not opinions. Titleist pays more players to play their clubs than Taylormade does.

This thread took an interesting turn. Wrong side of the bed maybe? Where's my popcorn?

kind of a hijack and kind of a way to get this back on topic....

I hit the Super Tri today and reallly liked it. However, what are the advantages the the Super Tri over the original R9? I get the FCT and MWT on the old R9 and I can always upgrade the shaft.

I know there must be some internal differences that we do not have the pleasure of seeing. The only other external thing I notice is we do not get that awsome black face with the Original R9

More spin creates more distance.

The only thing that I will say is that this is somewhat misleading.

More spin = more distance for slower swing speed players.

Tour players spend time on the Trackman finding out how to get their spin numbers down, not up.

Tour players spend time on the Trackman finding out how to get their spin numbers down, not up.

That is not entirely the case. Quite a few tour players are seeking more spin off the tee. It is not the norm, but it is done. It is all about finding optimal spin for every person.

That is not entirely the case. Quite a few tour players are seeking more spin off the tee. It is not the norm, but it is done. It is all about finding optimal spin for every person.

It is done occasionally depending on what type of player you are.

If you are very comfortable with the driver you might go for slightly more spin so you can work it a bit more. If you struggle with the driver a tour player will likely want more spin and just try to hit higher launching, lower spinning straight bombs because the more spin you have the more your misses will move from side to side.

I was just generally stating that "more spin = more distance" is not a good way to describe things.

my ball speed is between 140 and 150 which puts me at the border line of regular and stiff.

My 07 burner is stock stiff shaft and I have no problem whatsoever.

However, I tried Aldida voodoo stiff shaft in Super Tri today and felt a little stiff.
So went back to stock Motore 60 regular shaft and no problem.

Super Tri stock shaft has softer tip compare to 09 R9 stock shaft so it will feel a little softer. *for me, I guess my age is finally affecting my swing lol

my ball speed is between 140 and 150 which puts me at the border line of regular and stiff.

My 07 burner is stock stiff shaft and I have no problem whatsoever.

However, I tried Aldida voodoo stiff shaft in Super Tri today and felt a little stiff.
So went back to stock Motore 60 regular shaft and no problem.

Super Tri stock shaft has softer tip compare to 09 R9 stock shaft so it will feel a little softer. *for me, I guess my age is finally affecting my swing lol

that's good to see you play regular or stiff or whatever feels best to you rather than trapping yourself into one flex ... as you probably have already experienced, from manufacturer to manufacturer, even model to model, the flex rating can be quite different even though it's the same in name ..

my swing style has always had better results with stiff flex soft tip shafts ... i actually like the 460 aldila reax stock shaft quite a lot ... for me the r9 motore stiff was a bit too stiff feeling ... but sounds like the stiff motore 60 in the supertri has a better feel because of the tip ...

i wonder will the supertri stock motore shaft be interchangeable with the original r9? i prefer the larger 460 cc heads, but something about the smaller r9 head i like as well ... if i decide on getting a supertri ... it would be bonus if i could swap that stock motore 60 shaft out and play it in my original r9 as well ...

i wonder will the supertri stock motore shaft be interchangeable with the original r9? i prefer the larger 460 cc heads, but something about the smaller r9 head i like as well ... if i decide on getting a supertri ... it would be bonus if i could swap that stock motore 60 shaft out and play it in my original r9 as well ...

It is on mine. I changed them right out for 3-4 other shafts that I have tipped.

Back