The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solid range time. Hit a bag of balls to keep the swing going then spent 1 1/2 hrs on the chipping green. 30yds & in. Hitting flops and chips felt good. The light bulb went off half way through and I even holed some chips. Hoping to take it to the course.

Hit the range after work and trying to get a feel for my swing. I had been down 15-20 yds throughout my bag. Something felt wrong, and needed to figure out what it was. I stretched a bit and took some light, loose practice swings with the 3w. Started working my 56* then to the 8i. About 10 swings in to the 8i, I try working a fade. For some reason, I really drove my lower half into this one and it kabooms off like a rocket. It didnt fade, but it clicked the that that's what I had been missing. I worked that move from there all the way through the 3w and got a good feel for it. Was a last minute decision to hit the range but I'm sure glad I did.

Next session MUST be short game. I suck bad there right now.

Skipped playing today and took the Speedblades to the range. I honestly can't think of ever having a better range session. Focused on loosening my grip and that made all the difference. Just hitting beautiful balls. Really really encouraging.

Skipped playing today and took the Speedblades to the range. I honestly can't think of ever having a better range session. Focused on loosening my grip and that made all the difference. Just hitting beautiful balls. Really really encouraging.

Enjoying those Tour 90s?

The THP Range/Practice Thread

Nice Rick! Best iron TM makes and it's not even close IMO.

Nice Rick! Best iron TM makes and it's not even close IMO.

Having gone from Rocketbladez to CB's to now Speedblades, from my perspective the other 2 aren't even close

The boy and I hit the range and then the pitch and putt and then the short game area.

Such an encouraging range session. Took my 'aha' moment from Thursdays lesson and put it in action and finally the ball is going far. Not internet far, but Hawk far. It's been a long time coming. Much higher flight across the board than I've seen in a long time too. Main thing has really been just getting the sequencing right with my lower half and then getting my elbow in my hip and just turning all the way through while staying in the shot. Even made a few divots? My clubs didn't know what to think about that.

Not everything was perfect. Sort of brings back my hook miss if I'm out of sequence, but I just wanted a little validation that I was maybe not doomed to another rotten distance year.

Short game stuff was fine. Mostly testing and having fun there.

The boy and I hit the range and then the pitch and putt and then the short game area.

Such an encouraging range session. Took my 'aha' moment from Thursdays lesson and put it in action and finally the ball is going far. Not internet far, but Hawk far. It's been a long time coming. Much higher flight across the board than I've seen in a long time too. Main thing has really been just getting the sequencing right with my lower half and then getting my elbow in my hip and just turning all the way through while staying in the shot. Even made a few divots? My clubs didn't know what to think about that.

Not everything was perfect. Sort of brings back my hook miss if I'm out of sequence, but I just wanted a little validation that I was maybe not doomed to another rotten distance year.

Short game stuff was fine. Mostly testing and having fun there.

Divots and dirty clubs ftw!

Sorry in advance vman and O'Carroll but we are coming to destroy

I'm going to work my a$$ off on this Deano. It was just a little day of validation that I'd been waiting for, but lots of work left to do. Need to drill this in my head like I did the other things leading up to it.

I'm going to work my a$$ off on this Deano. It was just a little day of validation that I'd been waiting for, but lots of work left to do. Need to drill this in my head like I did the other things leading up to it.

Same here boss...heading out in a few hours to see if I can duplicate Wednesdays breakthrough

I'd try to join you, all depends if I can't stretch out this back. Text me if u head out.

Haven't had much time for golf so today I dedicated 2 hours to practice today.

All I worked on was 100y and in then 1/2 hour on the putting green. My 54* has become my best friend and holed out several shots.
I have come to realize that a 58* or 60 bent to 58* is pretty much needed at this point. I borrowed the club house managers Vokey 60 I was surprised at some of the shots it made easier than the 54.
Guess I will have to try and find a 58 rtx or bend a 60.

Much better range session today compared to last night. I feel like I'm getting really close finding my swing. Today I focused on keeping my lower body quite and not rotating my body out of the way before impact. I feel like when I hit it thin or slice really bad my body as rotated through before my hands. When I focused on staying in the shot and not lifting up or rotating around I started to strike the ball much better. This transitioned through all my irons. I left very pleased!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Played 18 today, while we were playing we had nobody around us all day, which was great to drop balls and work some shots from the 40-70 yard range. There were a ton of positives from the practice I've been doing. Although practicing during my round, didn't help with my scoring. Kind of blew it up. Not sure if it was not staying focused on the task, or what ever. But I'm headed in the right direction.

Range session today. My swing has been off lately, just not getting the distance I usually do on any of my clubs except PW. They're straight and the right height, but just seem to die. I'm guessing there's a lot of back spin on them(???). I'm wondering if it's a casting issue, or if I'm opening my hips too much on the back swing and get stuck on the downswing because of how my finish is looking. Part of me thinks who cares, so long as it goes and you know your distances, but I worked on aiming the butt of the club down the target line and a nice wide turn. It's fine, but I'm just not getting that pop or flush feeling a lot that I felt during the winter. I have a lesson in a couple weeks, but may try to get in sooner. I'd like to figure this out to fix whatever it is I'm doing.

Long range session, hitting my irons much better. My the 6 on down I feel will go pretty much where I want them. Winds were high and playing havoc on my ball flight, but contact was good. Still struggling with my long irons and driver, though. Posture is better, swing patch is better, but any time I get my arms active in my driver swing, I close the club face way too soon. I'll figure it out.

Wedges/chipping was actually a lot of fun. Took some of the forward shaft lean from my chips and was able to get the ball to check far more reliably. Putting felt good, pace was on. Lag putting is coming along nicely, even getting the occasional long putt to fall. Felt good. I'm about at the point now where I'd rather spend all day around the putting green.

Nice 90 minute range session in the books.

Really was afraid to step on any shots with my back still not 100% and there was some hesitancy early on but then I got into a groove and it was ok. Would love to say the session was as epic as my lesson on Wednesday but it wasn't quite there. Don't get me wrong I hit some really nice shots today I just had a few more misses than I would have liked. But I know that it will all come soon and have to be patient seeing it's been like 72 hours since we tweaked the swing.

Tried to get a gage on distances but as usual I was hitting into the wind and with the tour 90s launching balls up it was a lost cause. So hit a few of everything in the bag just focusing on good contact. Nemesis right now is tempo as when I rush it it's thin city.

Did manage to hit some hybos and even 3 woods off the deck which is rare for me...felt pretty good.

Another solid display with driver too my miss here was right...not sure what the deal is with that but I'll inquire next time.

About 45 minutes on short game. Wasn't real happy with that as I had more than my fair share of balls that went kinda right ish. Was trying to keep my lower body still and it still happened a few times but alas kept plugging away and even holed out a few. Getting pretty good on the touch shots from a few feet off the green that used to either be chutted or thinned.

Some more range tomorrow and then 18 finally.

A very productive 2 hour lesson today covering pitch shots, full swing and putting. We started with 60 yd pitch shots with a focus on maintaining most of my weight on the left leg thru impact which helped flight the ball lower. I have a bad habit of falling back on my right foot and the ball flight is very high.

We started full swing with the 8 iron and most shots were a high draw but starting at my target and missing 15 - 20yds left. I got on video DTL and first thing he noticed is my left arm gets a bit disconnected in the takeaway as the clubhead is outside my hands. Second thing is my right shoulder drops too low on the downswing thus hanging back and I immediately start shutting the clubface after impact to save it. I placed a headcover under my left arm pit and worked on staying connected on the takeaway with short, 30 yd shots. We then focused on weight transfer to my left leg and keeping the club low and left thru the shot. What a difference as I started to compress the ball and ball flight was dead straight or a baby draw. Hit about 5 or 6 drivers to finish full swing and bombed Bertha down the middle.

We finished the lesson the practice green and I was told my putting stroke is atrocious lol. My pro is kinda blunt and to the point but I like that. We got the stroke on video and it's outside to in cutting across with impact towards the toe. He setup a few tees to fix this move and resulted in an inside down the line stroke. We also worked on lag putting and setup tees in 5 ft increments up to 30 ft. With 3 balls, I had to either hole out or keep them inside a 3ft circle. If not, then restart so that wasn't easy.

I came away with a few drills and really pleased with my lesson. Back to the range tomorrow!

Had my longest and most productive session on the range today.

Two things I was very happy with.

1) i broke out my 51 degree ATV wedge for the first time in probably a year. I hit the most consistent 1/2 and 3/4 shots with it that I have hot in years. Using a long but narrow target green on the range from 50 to 80 yards I was consistently hitting the green. That may not sound like much but hitting that small of green (about 8 yards wide) from that distance hasn't always been the norm for me.

2) main swing thoughts were turning my left shoulder under my chin and getting all the way on to my left side at finish. When I combined the two successfully I hit some of the best irons shots I've hit in a long time. Still need to make sure I'm concentrating on them on each shot. But the results are there when I do.

As a bonus I hit some very nice drives with the R1 which I hadn't put in play since last May. Will be using it in my league Monday night.

After I got home from playing the boy wanted to go hit some, so we grabbed a couple hundred balls and I worked on some things from my lesson while he wailed away. Also some product testing. Then we went to the top secret short game area hidden at this course and I worked some more on wedges. Productive day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back