Zen and the Simple Art of Golf

Good.Shepherd

Reaction score
Handicap
Disclaimer: this will be a longer post and a more full discussion of the topic. I'd handle it more incrementally, but many of these ideas function as a woven cord and do not really function so well in isolation. Please avoid the thread if longer discussions bother you as I have no desire to upset anyone.

I'm not a scratch golfer. In fact, over the years, I've moved around between a bogey and double bogey handicap. I've also had long periods off--years--and have restarted three times. And in those restarts, I've tried almost every different approach you can imagine. I've done the "buy a full bag of new, expensive, custom tailored gear" approach. I've tried the "Get tons of lessons from lots of different coaches" method. I've tried the self-taught, Bubba ball approach.

And I love going to the course as a single and getting paired with random people, because I've seen so many different approaches to the game and so many different attitudes and training methods that it's been a rich 15 years or so of observation.

This last restart for me, however, was the most important. Because of the recession and other events, I was off for about 4 years. It was painful, but I just didn't need all the gear and expense and frustration of previous methods. My passion for the game drew me back in, but this time, I was going to have some rules. I stood up and looked at all the previous approaches I had been talked into taking before and I said, 'This is crazy. There's no need for this. I'm going to make it simple or I'm not going to do it."

Something amazing happened--at least for me. This time in, I had so much less frustration. I shaved 10 shots off my average round in about 10 rounds over the winter (and the associated training time). I'd never progressed that quickly. And I had never progressed with so little anxiety, either.

What changed most was my approach to the game. It was going to be simple and meaningful to me or it just didn't matter any more.

I wanted purity, and I wanted golf. And I didn't want much else.

So over the last year I've kept a notebook I called, in jest, "zen and the art of simple golf". The rest of the post is simply a discussion of the 11 main themes that make up almost all of that notebook in one way or another.

I can do better. I can do better at golf, I can do better at life, I can do better as a younger father, and I can do better as a communicator. But I hope that sharing this will help someone else better consider their point of view of how they approach the game, and I hope that what others teach me in return can help me to do better in exchange.

Zen and the art of simple golf

1. Simplify whenever possible.
Don’t add unnecessary complexity to any part of the game. Be ruthless about this.

Just one small example: putting. What an important part of the game, and yet how often do you see people adding layers and layers of complexity to it? If you're almost on tour or getting there, I can understand SOME of the advanced physics courses you may take. But for most people, their game will get better very quickly by simplifying their training, not making it more algorithm based.

Here's what an ex-tour pro once told me as we sat together on an airplane: "Putting is the most important thing to do simply. For me, I spend more time in putting practice than any other part of the game. And I have a two step approach that I begin all over again about every four weeks. First step is that I practice getting the ball to die at the hole. Preferably IN the hole, but AT is fine enough. Period. Doesn't matter if I missed left or right or whatever, it it dies at the hole whatever mistake I made won't get worse on the next shot. I do it on straight greens, insane and hilly greens, everywhere. Once I get that down, I start trying to drive the ball just 8 inches through the hole--that's what gets them in more often. And if I miss a few by 8 inches I'm okay, because I'm 100% confident that I can make any 8 inch put I'm ever faced with. Then after four weeks of this, I start all over again at step one."

2. Swing your clubs, don’t let your clubs swing you. This is much harder than it sounds. I cannot tell you how many guys and girls I see with a club they WANT to hit, or that they’ve lusted over, but to get it into their game they have to disfigure themselves. They hop on one foot, lift their knee at a 47.5% angle at the moment of hinge release, or whatever.

We all see these people when it's not ourselves. They're the ones who grab that new #1 driver out of their bag, twist around like a hindu yogi, aim for the parking lot, hit a shot that curves over the top of the clubhouse and then like a boomerang changes direction and rolls miraculously out to the 50 yard flag on the driving range in front of them and then they look up at you thoughtfully and say, "Hmmm, I think I may have topped it."

Their clubs are swinging them.

3. Intuition matters most. Practice and data and science and all of that is a wonderful tool, but all it really does is to sharpen your intuition. When you practice a putt, you line up a few balls and hit them all in succession. This is great, but it will never happen in a round. In a round, you don’t hit your driver 37 times in a row and tune it up. You hit a driver just after you’ve hit a putter. You then hit an iron and a wedge and then putt again. You’re mixing your perspective, your muscle groups, and your sense of touch--constantly.

So that first putt in your practice, that is your intuition shot. It’s the most important. It’s how you put together all the things you know about that shot, and about putting, before you could apply a more scientific approach with your followup putts. Pay so much attention to that shot every time you take it, no matter how many practice balls you follow it up with, and at every part of your game (full swing, short game, putt).

When you see your intuition sharpening, that is the sign that your game is improving at a deep level. All of us can make a lucky shot or a terrible shot. But our intuition is the part of the game that has nothing to do with luck.

All the great golfers have built their intuition. They’ve spent countless hours training and crunching numbers and data, and that’s important, but then they still cannot fully explain to you how exactly they know, or do, some of the most important things you see them do.

That's what I think the real wisdom was behind the "simple putting" advice--it was about sharpening intuition to get putts to die at the hole. In 10 years you may never play two important puts that have identical statistical profiles--curve, green condition, green speed, grass type, humidity, wind, etc. There's no way to analyze it all, keep a catalogue, and stay sane. And the greats can almost never tell you how, but put them on 50 different greens and 50 different conditions and they can get that ball to die at the cup more often than not. They just can.

4. One example of why intuition is king: rhythm. Many things can cause a slice. Dozens and dozens of tiny things. Too much to ever keep in your mind in the form of a full checklist before a swing. But if you simply work on having great rhythm (often slower than most assume), you can avoid a huge number of those causes without ever having to keep a conscious checklist of them.

Remember also that partial fixes compound against you. This is why we want to keep simple intuition as king. Because we have bad rhythm, our club head comes down wrong and gives us a slice or etc. To prevent this from happening, we roll our wrists over more at address. But that can lead to inconsistent chili dips, so we lean one way or another at address as well, or push our feet into unnatural places. Which stiffens our back, so we need to bend our knees a lot more.

Pretty soon we’ve got a list of 96 disfigurements we’ve made to our swing just so we don’t gift Poseidon another $4 ball every time we try to drive over a small water hazard. And all simply to make up for the fact that we didn’t keep great rhythm back at step 1.

5. Oh, yeah, and HAVE GREAT RHYTHM. It’s one of the most important things you can tell yourself during your training or your round. So many things all converge at this point. If you have great rhythm, as with many things in life, even a larger number of your misses will be playable. You'll also notice more quickly when you are disfiguring something, because rhythm is a gathering point for intuition and feel.

CONTD:

6. Play one shot at a time. Only.
The scorecard is simply an accumulation of single shots. You can never fall behind on a single shot. Every shot can be made, or can get you closer to the pin, or can improve your relative scoring position. It doesn’t mean all shots WILL do these things, but any single shot CAN do these things, and thus it deserves every bit of careful attention and focus you can give it.

This doesn’t mean you are not aware of competition or your strategy for the hole, only that, once aware of these things, you live in that single shot until it is made, and then it disappears like Brigadoon in your mind and you move to the next one.

7. Find 4 clubs, plus a putter, that you hit the best and play the course with them. Do this regularly. Learn to be creative with them (and constraint boosts creativity!). Learn to attack with them. Learn to hit them straight. Build your bag slowly from these clubs, making every new addition EARN their way into your game bag. Practice with whatever, but sell expensive, invitation-only tickets into your game bag.

Most seem to want something “new”. It’s a compulsion we have. It’s our search for the holy grail or the fountain of youth. But the wise golfers all want something trusted, not just new or sexy or different.

In golf, trust should be the currency of the equipment realm, not lust.

8. Mentally, you want to aim for clarity and reality as often as possible. For clarity, it’s just a fact of human nature that you cannot consciously hold 100 assumptions and 100 reminders in your head at any one time. You need to clear your head, and boil your game and your processes down to a few key pivot points. For me, it’s: sequence, alignment, and rhythm. These all have deep meanings to me and I could spend a long time talking through them but there’s no need here. The point is, I have three reminders that I can work with, comfortably, at any one time and they encompass about 90% of whatever obstacles I seem to face in a round.

Reality just means that there is reality—what actually occurred—and there is our explanations of reality. In general, our explanations of reality are pretty flawed and subject to misjudgements. We make assumptions about things. Almost everything.

Where the ball went? Reality. Why it went there instead of where we wanted it to go? Assumptions. Explanations. When we fall in love with our assumptions, or when our assumptions are not helping us overcome the obstacles in front of us, we need to step back and either go back to the basics or get outside objective counsel from a coach. But the worst thing we can do is to keep daisy-chaining assumptions together, because that’s how we end up with that 27 part disfigured swing simply to solve our poor rhythm issue in step one.

Remember also that clarity may be really simple mental organization, too. At the end of the day, if our ball is closer to the hole and our position for scoring has been improved, we are still in it. Just being aware of this simple, but clear, point of view of the course can often prevent us from doing something stupid and having one of those self-created “blow up holes”.

Yeah, I know taking a bogey due to laying up or playing smart hurts mentally. But not nearly as much as a triple bogey will actually hurt in reality.

9. There are only three types of swings: good swings, good enough swings, and bad swings. All of those millions of details and checklists and assumptions all lead to one of those three points. “Hits” are simply the result and consequence of one of these three swings.

So don’t focus on “hitting” the ball, or any other consequence of the primary action. Focus simply on good swings delivered with great rhythm. Settle for “good enough” relative to your round when you must and then get fully into your next current swing. Sharpen your intuition in training to keep away from the “bad swings” whenever you see patterns crop up pulling you in that direction

What’s the difference between good swings and good enough swings? It’s relative. Remember, we play one ball at a time. Were you trying to simply avoid the impossible rough to the left? There’s good and good enough. Were you trying to pull ahead on Saturday at the Masters at hole 16? Well, good and good enough are very different in that case. It’s all relative. This is why we must always be anchored in reality.

I can't tell you how many times I've played with a pairing where one guy throws his club into a lake or screams at his shoes and kills his mental state for the rest of the round over a "good enough" swing and hit.

10. Speaking of reality: make practice competitive whenever you can. Don’t be a jerk about it, but make it matter. Because in a game, there is always pressure and competition. That is reality. One reason our games don’t always translate from the practice course to the game is that mentally we are in completely different environments. On the practice course we are relaxed and there is little pressure.

This means that pressure and competition are not our enemies—they are our training partners. Do not hide from it. Learn to have great equanimity in the face of pressure both in practice and in the game, and it will translate out to life as well.

11. Craftsmanship deeply, deeply matters. The things and the processes that we influence take on OUR qualities. If we are tense and frustrated our games take on those qualities. If we are smooth and thoughtful, are games take on these qualities.

One word we have for this, though it’s been unbelievably watered down in today's world, is “craftsmanship”. It means that we understand that the things and the processes we influence take on our qualities, and thus we show amazing care to every single piece of the things we create. Craftsmen love training as much or more as they love playing. They are patient and find joy in spending years, if need be, to master their craft. They crackle with electricity when they step on the chipping course or the putting green as much or more as when they purchase a new bowling ball driver and step up to a tee box. Words like “trust” have great meaning to them with their equipment. They are deeply connected to the art, the science, the rationality, and the intuition of their craft and they have a point of view about the relationship each of these elements have to them and their game.

When it’s time for your brain surgery, do you want a doctor who considers herself a craftsman of her field, or a burnt out doctor punching the clock and with his mind on his upcoming Boca vacation?

Any of us can be craftsmen at this game. And in fact, it can provide a deep level of satisfaction and passion for the game that most of us feel is unattainable. But just imagine if you could be as deeply satisfied and enriched by three hours on the putting green as you are to hop in a cart and play?

This also explains why people like Hogan and Pennick were as satisfied in their lives as coaches and golf communicators as they were as guys trying to get onto and succeed at tour. They were craftsmen.

So when we put the woven cord together we see that we can play each single shot with the focus of a craftsman, sharpening our intuition as a craftsman seeks to do, and approaching the simple aspects of our game (rhythm, alignment, swing, etc) as a craftsman, not as greedy and impatient people just punching the clock and with our minds down the road at Golfsmith thinking of which new driver or gizmo we will buy in hopes that it will somehow transform our game without us ever having to drudge through another boring putting session.

#7 is epic.

I have personaly this week decided to move up a few tees (normally I play the whites) so I can get better with my long irons. I love my pw, my 8 iron my 7 iron....but I know I need to hit my 4 and 5 much better.

I think this philosophy would benefit all of us. We have these bags full of clubs we never hit or we think because it cost 400 bucks it will change my nope.

I read somewhere it was Hogan or Snead who learned to hit first with a 6 iron and only played that club until he hit it so perfect every time then he added 1 more club. ..your #7 goes with your #1. Pretty profound really. Great post mate!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Interesting. It kind of reminds me of a book I read once called, "Zen Golf". It is true though, we make golf way, way, way more complicated than it needs to be.

#7 is epic.

I have personaly this week decided to move up a few tees (normally I play the whites) so I can get better with my long irons. I love my pw, my 8 iron my 7 iron....but I know I need to hit my 4 and 5 much better.

I think this philosophy would benefit all of us. We have these bags full of clubs we never hit or we think because it cost 400 bucks it will change my nope.

I read somewhere it was Hogan or Snead who learned to hit first with a 6 iron and only played that club until he hit it so perfect every time then he added 1 more club. ..your #7 goes with your #1. Pretty profound really. Great post mate!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Yeah, and distance is a tricky thing. Yes, it's statistically proven that playing a bit longer, at the expense of straight, can lead to better scores over time. And I agree with this (how can you not.. it's data).

But this is misleading a bit. Because "distance" is a result of many factors. It's the result of a woven chord of things we do in our swing. Often when someone focuses on "distance" they disfigure their swing, lose their rhythm, and do all sorts of things that waste our time on the course.

I had a coach that told me, "to get distance installed the right way as an adult, over time, you need great rhythm and alignment." It's one of those weird things where, the more you keep the word "distance" in your mind, the more likely you are to do things to your swing that don't give it to you in sustainable ways.

Back