Is going to the Range all that?

Mizuno Blue

Reaction score
Handicap
Bandit
I've had 2 poorish sessions at the range this week (Monday & Tuesday) not really overcoming the issues I was attempting to address and was a little concerned going into my B-team away match yesterday for my new club and at a course I'd not played before.

I didn't need to worry though, although I started with a bogey, then a treble after catching a deep fairway bunker, I then put 6 pars and 1 birdie together and I was 6-up on the turn and 3 over gross for the front 9
omg.gif

I nearly had the dog licence on the 12th but didn't make the tight corner on the dogleg long enough to get to the green in 2 but finished it off on the par3 13th with another par for a 6&5 win
yahoo.gif

I did have some poor holes then after the match was already won, more down to relaxing and not concentrating as much, especially on some short (less than 4ft) putts and a couple of snap tee shots, I think this just shows me how much of this daft game is in the head, but, it also tells me that I just don't get on with working at the range off the mats. Going by those 2 days Monday & Tuesday I was really Tom Kite, but once on the course I was off the tee really well (3w+), flushing my approach shots into the greens really well especially with my 4i and those that were short, I chipped close for single putts.

Does anyone else not get the best out of going to range, is going to the range all that, or is it best to get on the course and work out any issues out their on your own?

I'm not wasting £5 for 70 balls per session again
nah.gif

I've got Charity Golf Day today, lets hope the form continues but unfortunately the weather looks like being very wet
faku.gif

I find i can have a bad day at the range followed by a brood day on course i just hope the bad days stay on the range

I think it depends. Are you going to the range to try to hit a certain kind of shot? Are you going trying to work on some particular shot shape, or more consistency with a certain club?

I think going to the range without a distinct, set goal in mind is a waste of money. At the same time, going with a goal, or converting a swing thought into a swing instinct, can be time & money well spent.

I rarely do the range because I just don't hit well for extended periods. I go to work out and try new shots but that is the extent.

Tap Tap Taparoo

I think it depends. Are you going to the range to try to hit a certain kind of shot? Are you going trying to work on some particular shot shape, or more consistency with a certain club?

I think going to the range without a distinct, set goal in mind is a waste of money. At the same time, going with a goal, or converting a swing thought into a swing instinct, can be time & money well spent.

As I stated, I went to overcome a couple off issues I was experiencing, mainly a bit of a hook off the tee at times and trying to fade with my 6i and 7w as I naturally draw everything. I got frustrated when I couldn't achieve either and just then didn't hit anything very well and felt the 2 sessions were not productive, but, then I go and shoot the lights out yesterday!

Its a mad game..

I say this to myself every time I buy a bucket of balls, "practice with a purpose or don't practice at all". It is very cliche but it reminds me to have a goal and judge each swing and result so I know what to repeat or never do again haha

I don't go nearly as much as I used to but I still find it easy to have a session go down the toilet if the early part doesn't go well. It's too easy for me to effectively give up and just start hitting balls.
Practising on the course gives time to get settled between shots and if I don't work at it on the range, taking shots at a range session without the same consideration ends up just "getting through" a bucket and leaving frustrated.

I have found videoing sessions helps greatly as I'll stop after a few shots and have a review.

I think t depends on your goals and work ethic. For some that have the swing down they use the range as a warm up tool before rounds, others use it to hone changes work on grooving their swing, some go and hit balls for hours because they truly love it. I think it's a great place to go no matter the reason.

I think t depends on your goals and work ethic. For some that have the swing down they use the range as a warm up tool before rounds, others use it to hone changes work on grooving their swing, some go and hit balls for hours because they truly love it. I think it's a great place to go no matter the reason.

I just don't think I hit balls off the mats very well as I don't get any compression and find myself attempting to pick the balls off which isn't what I normally do on the course, also, the rubber tee's are higher than what I would drive off so again, it doesn't simulate close enough for me.

I would like to see more outside grass bank practice areas so we can emulate truer conditions, a bay matted range for me is too false.

I just don't think I hit balls off the mats very well as I don't get any compression and find myself attempting to pick the balls off which isn't what I normally do on the course, also, the rubber tee's are higher than what I would drive off so again, it doesn't simulate close enough for me.

I would like to see more outside grass bank practice areas so we can emulate truer conditions, a bay matted range for me is too false.

The overly long tees drive me crazy lol, I used to keep one I my bag that I cut to a length I liked. I don't mind the mats too much, they are really good for working on wedge contact but if there are long irons it can hurt my arms after a while.

I see what you're saying.

I think having only mats could cause some hesitation. I for one enjoy the grass range. I'm still working through my iron swing and would not be able to in grain the proper swing out on the course.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Firm believer in dancing with the one that brought you.
By that I mean, if your hitting fades on the range then take that to the course or vice versa with a draw.
Range time for me is used to loosen up and see what shot I'm feeling. And hope it stays with me the whole round

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Range time for me is used to loosen up and see what shot I'm feeling. And hope it stays with me the whole round

That's OK and I agree when there is a driving range attached to the golf course your playing, a large majority over here don't have that so at most you may be hitting into a net to warm up with no true idea of the ball flight!

That's OK and I agree when there is a driving range attached to the golf course your playing, a large majority over here don't have that so at most you may be hitting into a net to warm up with no true idea of the ball flight!

Lot of the muni courses here are without a range. So a net in the garage is all ya got.
Make good contact and keep a smooth tempo and I know its a great shot....at least for the 5ft it travels lol

lol The range is where you practice. Is this a trick question? Of course it helps.

I'm with JoeyJoeJo on this one. My range sessions this year improved drastically when I started taking vids of my swing. Took the guesswork out of why some shots were bad, and gave me specific direction on things I've needed to work on. That being said, I noticed last season that my swing really started to improve once I went to the course more than I went to the range.

IMO you get out of the range with what you put into it. It definitely takes a firm mindset to remain focused.

It all depends on how you use the range session. If you go up there and just pound driver or any club for that matter it isnt quite effective.

Playing the course on the range is fun. Working on a specific shot. Maybe working one one of two shots from your previous round. If you use yoir time and efforts wisely the range is very helpful.

I find my bad days at the range actually improve my game on the course. Sometimes I get so focused while practicing, I forget to just swing the club. When I get to the course, I just tell myself to get up there, swing and see what happens.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

The range is where you improve. Playing is simply displaying the new found skills. That being said, I typically hit the ball better when I have a target with specific distance.

If it was practice off a mat or nothing, I'd just use woods/hybrids. I am a digger and never have good results with irons off a mat.

Last edited:
I work on shot shaping and swing path at the range. Doesn't always translate to success on the course. On the flip side is I've had poor range sessions followed by a pretty sweet round d on the course. Repetitively hitting the same shot is taxing and often hard to duplicate over and over again. I think we've all seen ranger rick and then embarrass himself on the course. It ain't all that IMO

I stopped getting large buckets because I can't stay focused for a large bucket at the range.

Honestly I used to go to the range to just hit balls. I would take my whole bag and hit every club....and noticed zero results.

Then I bought the PGA Tour Academies Home Edition...and started practicing with a purpose based on the lesson at hand.

Now when I go I usually take my PW and my 6 iron, along with my alignment sticks. I practice with a purpose such as....I want to hit half shots with my pw...face opened and I want to hit the brown patch about 75 yards out....or I'm going to work soley on the tempo of my swing....work on dispersion not distance etc.
I find if I keep it focused vs just hitting balls to say I hit 100 balls I get more out of it.

I also practice how I play. Every ball I move out of my alignment station place a ball then move back in like I walked up to it on the course.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

The primary purpose for me right now at my play level is really just to build confidence around simply striking the ball well, so that i'm not thinking about it when i take my game to the course. I obviously am working on techniques I've learned from my lessons in the process to achieve that. I actually really love going to the range, find it a great way to just get some time to myself during the week after a long day of work.

The range is an important part of my practice routine. I go there to work on specific things.

Back