Squiddy

The Game
Reaction score
Handicap
Hey guy's...Sorry I have been away for a while, I have been dealing with a sciatic nerve in my back, My back does not hurt but my hip and down my leg are a different story, I have been going thru Therapy and am doing quite well.
I have made a decision that i'm wondering if anyone else here has, I have taken the Driver out of my bag and replaced it with a Titleist 906f4 13.5 wood, Reason is i am going to be playing in a few tournaments that really don't have any holes that really need a driver, I can reach all the par 5's in regulation and most in 2 if i get a decent tee shot.
I'm wondering if anyone else has done something like this....Another reason I'm taking the Big dog out of the bag is lack of control, Right now it's either Feast or Famine, No in between.
I'm hoping to straighten thing's out but these are 2 Man best ball tourney's that are 3 days...
Great to be back.

I would bet the majority of people have taken out driver at some point. I took it out for years!

I went for 8 months without buying a driver after I broke my last one. I learned to hit a 4i pretty dang well

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I would bet the majority of people have taken out driver at some point. I took it out for years!

Thank's Small's I'm sure you are right

I went for 8 months without buying a driver after I broke my last one. I learned to hit a 4i pretty dang well

I have been there, Simply put The courses I have been playing are running about 6400 yard's Max right now, While I am no Bubba Watson by a long shot I can reach every GIR without one..Plus the 13.5 if you tee it low looks like a Missile coming of the club face, Thanks Hunt's

Yeah I hit a lot of fairways

I will take 14/18....Only because they don't let you count the ones that come up short on par 3s

I've been pondering taking it out, or just not hitting my driver until I can learn to control it more. With my swing, I have an unpredictable slice, that is a fade with my 3w. Not thinking about taking it out, just not using it until it's better to hit. This decision is helped that my RBZ 3w goes nearly the same distance.....

While I've never "taken it out" I have gone rounds where I simply don't use it. What I've discovered is that my bad swings off the tee are nearly as bad with a 3 wood or hybrid. They're just not quite as long. It makes moving around the course a little easier, but I don't think it makes my game better. Probably why I put the driver back in play.

While I've never "taken it out" I have gone rounds where I simply don't use it. What I've discovered is that my bad swings off the tee are nearly as bad with a 3 wood or hybrid. They're just not quite as long. It makes moving around the course a little easier, but I don't think it makes my game better. Probably why I put the driver back in play.

Good point, But unlike you if it's in there I will find some nutty reason to pull it out and then spend the rest of the hole wishing I hadn't

I didn't play a driver for most of last year due to accuracy issues. Now that I've been working through lessons with my golf coach I've been able to get my swing into a good spot, which has improved my driver play. That said, I do occasionally pull the driver from the bag on shorter courses. In fact, I pulled it last weekend for a tournament, as the course was only playing around 6200 yards. There were really only two holes where I could have hit driver but they were both par 5's and it wasn't really necessary as I could hit 3W or hybrid on my 2nd shot and either reach the green or get myself within 100 yards easily.

My Big Bertha 3 wood has been solid on helping me find the fairway this year, so if I need to pull the driver I can add in an extra wedge and get a bit more options on the shorter end of my bag.

Well said Hog...Depends on the course, But right now i'm not comfortable enough with my driver and I myself like to have more options in the Wedge department.

Good luck with your back. Been there a few years ago with herniations of L4/L5 & L5/S1. Had 2 shots in my back and so far so good.
The pain in the hip into the calf is intense.
No input on the driver issue but I feel your pain with the back issue.

I am too short of a hitter to take the driver out of the bag, I have trouble reaching par 4's in regulation as it is.

There have been rounds that I went without hitting the driver that much, but ever since I've gotten the Big Bertha in my bag, there's not many tee shots I take without the big stick. To each, their own, though. Have fun and swing what feels good to you.

I haven't taken it out of the bag but I don't use it during my tournament rounds.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I am close to putting the driver in time out. To start the year I was hitting something like 72% of FW, but lacking some distance so GIRs were still not good enough in my mind. now I'm either killing it down the middle and hitting the GIR or totally mishitting it left, right, topping, etc. I'd say last two rounds I've been as low as 10-15% FW hit.

I used the 3w off the tee for the last 6 holes of my last round and faired much better hitting the FW. I am obviously losing about 20 yds off the distance but in the big picture my probabilities of hitting the GIR are at this point better with a 3w off the tee.

I might try sticking with this approach for a few weeks and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck with your back. Been there a few years ago with herniations of L4/L5 & L5/S1. Had 2 shots in my back and so far so good.
The pain in the hip into the calf is intense.
No input on the driver issue but I feel your pain with the back issue.

Same to ya my friend...Glad to hear things are better

There have been rounds that I went without hitting the driver that much, but ever since I've gotten the Big Bertha in my bag, there's not many tee shots I take without the big stick. To each, their own, though. Have fun and swing what feels good to you.

I need to hit that Driver...Only heard GREAT things about it

I am close to putting the driver in time out. To start the year I was hitting something like 72% of FW, but lacking some distance so GIRs were still not good enough in my mind. now I'm either killing it down the middle and hitting the GIR or totally mishitting it left, right, topping, etc. I'd say last two rounds I've been as low as 10-15% FW hit.

I used the 3w off the tee for the last 6 holes of my last round and faired much better hitting the FW. I am obviously losing about 20 yds off the distance but in the big picture my probabilities of hitting the GIR are at this point better with a 3w off the tee.

I might try sticking with this approach for a few weeks and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you do let me know how it works out for you

I need to hit that Driver...Only heard GREAT things about it

Most forgiving driver I've ever hit. Can't wait to get to the course tomorrow to drop some more bombs. (Funny how a no driver thread turned into a driver discussion haha)

Most forgiving driver I've ever hit. Can't wait to get to the course tomorrow to drop some more bombs. (Funny how a no driver thread turned into a drive discussion haha)

Well we are talking about golf.......We hate it so bad we love it and cant live without it

Good point, But unlike you if it's in there I will find some nutty reason to pull it out and then spend the rest of the hole wishing I hadn't
Excactly, this guy^. My driver is out. Heck, I may tee off with the 5 iron all day. I'm a big fan of straight and consistent.

I think the one benefit of beginning to play golf in the 90's was that I started with an old set of clubs with real woods with steel shafts. You had to hit the center of the clubface to get your distance/ let alone the ball in the air. Now distance wasn't bad when you did hit one square, but they weren't generally very forgiving.

Then I had a knock off Warbird driver, it was the War Eagle or something and while it wasn't much better it still had a bigger sweet spot. Then I had an Affinity or something 460 cc driver shortly after they came out. That thing had a flyrod shaft in it, or it wasn't much stiffer than that. You had to have a smooth transition and nice on plane swing to hit it well.

I think I've owned 6 other drivers since that first 460cc and I've traded consistency for distance and back again a couple times. One thing I have learned is that distance off the tee still gets it done, so I've always carried a driver (even carried two a couple times) and always will.

Now I went on a Hilton Head vacationa a year ago and in anticipation tried to get very comfortable with a 5 wood as a fairway finder. After struggling to get off the first tee of the first round down there, everthing came together and I had a really solid round. So much so that I was hitting easy choked down drivers right down the middle 240-250 without even stressing about it. Just one of those "in the zone" days.

I do love hitting a driver though.

Hey guy's...Sorry I have been away for a while, I have been dealing with a sciatic nerve in my back, My back does not hurt but my hip and down my leg are a different story, I have been going thru Therapy and am doing quite well.
I have made a decision that i'm wondering if anyone else here has, I have taken the Driver out of my bag and replaced it with a Titleist 906f4 13.5 wood, Reason is i am going to be playing in a few tournaments that really don't have any holes that really need a driver, I can reach all the par 5's in regulation and most in 2 if i get a decent tee shot.
I'm wondering if anyone else has done something like this....Another reason I'm taking the Big dog out of the bag is lack of control, Right now it's either Feast or Famine, No in between.
I'm hoping to straighten thing's out but these are 2 Man best ball tourney's that are 3 days...
Great to be back.

My mom has the same thing her sciatic problem is extreme. Hoping yours is less painful I heard it quite painful. I played with only a 3 wood as a junior. Mostly as I had so much confidence with it and could bomb it 250+ everytime. I feel if thats the case, no need for the big dog. But that being said keep trying drivers just for the extra yards expecially on the longer par 4 and 5's

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk

Back