Newbie - What clubs

sbt27

Reaction score
Handicap
I'd say i've played golf around 20-25 times in my life if you include the driving range, par 3 courses and full courses so i'm still a complete novice.

I'd like to take it up a bit more regularly and I'm looking to purchase a set of Irons (probably 4-sw) and I am looking for a bit of advice as to what ones could be good.

I'm pretty sporty (play a lot of tennis) and so far I think I've been able to play to a pretty decent standard considering my experience or lack of, so with that in mind I don't think I would require the most extreme of game improvement irons but nonetheless I'd imagine I would need one in the game improvement category.

I tried a friends burner plus and was surprised at how well I played with them. I live in the uk and I would probably not want to spend much more than the £300 mark. I'm happy to buy ones that are brand new or second hand (if that means i can get a better set)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

i think the answer is "some clubs." your first setup isn't going to be your last, and you will likely replace everything relatively quickly. Once you know what *you* like in a club, and have figured out enough of your game to make sense of the subtle differences, you will be able to read through reviews and hit different clubs to find the ones you like the most. Then after that you will probably improve even more and replace stuff all over again. Hopefully that time with the assistance of a professional fitter. :D

I get what you're saying and I think its the same in tennis. I do actually have a very cheap set of clubs (so dunlop ones) and i could definitely notice the difference between them and the TM burner plus 2.0. The burner plus felt way more solid, with a much bigger sweetspot, more power and better feel.

What i want its a set of irons that will have a solid feel, big sweetspot, hit nice and straight and with decentish feel. I know the feel probably won't be amazing with game improvement clubs.

I get what you're saying and I think its the same in tennis. I do actually have a very cheap set of clubs (so dunlop ones) and i could definitely notice the difference between them and the TM burner plus 2.0. The burner plus felt way more solid, with a much bigger sweetspot, more power and better feel.

What i want its a set of irons that will have a solid feel, big sweetspot, hit nice and straight and with decentish feel. I know the feel probably won't be amazing with game improvement clubs.

IMO if you like those burner 2.0s, then offer your buddy some cash for them (so he can upgrade) or look around for some used ones. they are solid clubs that obviously agree with you and can be had relatively cheap. plus you can probably resell them at only a small loss when you're ready to upgrade. Good luck!

I am a fan of the last years model at a trade in shop to get a good deal while you are starting. I am fortunate to have a local one that also helps fit those clubs properly to you. Often you can find something close to your fit and have some adjustments made by a local shop. After you get to know what you like and what fits you may make a bigger investment in the future.

Just FYI my time on the first used set before getting the full new set was not long--I still blame THP and Jman for that though :)

If you like you buddies Burner Plus try to find a set ebay should be able to help

I recomend starting with cavity back irons for distance and forgiveness until your handicap gets down to mid to low teens. Then go to less cavity for feel and workability to shave off more strokes.

As stupid as it sounds I'd rather not get the same clubs as my friend. Also, unless I struck extremely lucky they're probably not the best set of clubs out there for me.

It would be great if someone could suggest some good cavity back game improvement irons around the burner plus price point.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Go for an older set of Pings like the G5 model of irons. Great GI set similar to the Adams Tigh Lies category with weighting in all the right places, a nice wide sole and a thick top line that inspires confidence at address. A nice used set can be had for around $200.00 US on the Bay. The Adams Tight Lies 1208 series is another set worth looking into if you want quality that will hold up for many seasons and improve your game. The exact same offset as the Pings and similar to the G5 set with a nice wide sole and thick top line. It's getting harder to find them brand new as they came out in 2012 but they go for $ 299.99 at Edwin Watts. I have a set for much cheaper in the market place however(175.99).....feel free to check it out bro....OWN THE SECOND SHOT!!!!!!

Callaway Razr x HL can be had for really cheap right now and fit your profile

Ebay you can find Cobra Bafflers new pretty cheap. Also some Taylormade's. Even Wilson has some nice clubs. Check the Deals & steals thread for good pricing on clubs

Welcome to THP!

As stupid as it sounds I'd rather not get the same clubs as my friend. Also, unless I struck extremely lucky they're probably not the best set of clubs out there for me.

It would be great if someone could suggest some good cavity back game improvement irons around the burner plus price point.

Cleveland cg black, also Cleveland 588 altitude or
588 MT. All great Game improvement Irons.

Cleveland HiBore is a good, older set that is very forgiving. I game them currently and am happy with them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks. Will keep a look out. Any more recommendations would be welcome, then I can hopefully keep an eye out and get some of a steal on something like Gumtree or eBay

When I first started not too long ago, I bought a used set of Wilson Deep Red irons from Ebay for less than £100. They were very easy to hit, got good distance with them and felt nice to swing. Not the most 'fashionable' of clubs I know, but they certainly worked really well for me.

Cleveland 588 Altitude - I switched from the Burner 2.0 and it was a huge improvement for me.

I think most people have the right idea of trying buy cheap off the bay for clubs 1-2 seasons old. Just the other day they had new cobra amp cell clubs on ebay for $220. I would say be patient and go with practically any game improvement club out there from a year or 2 ago. Once you make a commitment and get better, i can guarantee you'll be looking for new clubs in 2-3 years anyways

Cleveland 588 Altitude - I switched from the Burner 2.0 and it was a huge improvement for me.

What did you find an improvement?

I think most people have the right idea of trying buy cheap off the bay for clubs 1-2 seasons old. Just the other day they had new cobra amp cell clubs on ebay for $220. I would say be patient and go with practically any game improvement club out there from a year or 2 ago. Once you make a commitment and get better, i can guarantee you'll be looking for new clubs in 2-3 years anyways

Yeah I think you're right, the best thing would be to get a second hand set of last season's clubs. That's probably what I will look to do. Will just keep me eye out for a good deal.

What did you find an improvement?

There is a whole review thread here http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...8-Cleveland-588-Altitude-Hybrid-Irons-Preview

Although I don't Game them now, I did for a while I will tell you what is better about the 588 Altitudes than other SGI clubs (super Game improvement)

1. No big offset --When the leading edge of a clubface is set back from the hosel or neck
2. the faceplate on the Clubs is a Forged face--softer feel
3. better overall forgiveness--the design is not as pretty as some of the other clubs out there--but the style of the Hyron (hybrid iron) is designed to have more weight behind the off center hits allowing them to fly straighter--all of the SGI club styles use perimeter weighting to help do this, by the Altitude is more forgiving of that style in my opinion because the mass at the back of the club head.
4. the Design does not lead to a really hot club face--this happens on some SGI clubs that if you do hit it pure it can take off like crazy and give you hot shots that fly beyond your target--It was one of the common complaints on the burner reviews (distance variables)

Many good golfers still Play these even though they could play much more difficult players clubs just because they are so easy to hit.

Thanks for the review. I had a look at them although they aren't as readily available on eBay as some clubs and aren't the most aesthetically pleasing.

Thinking about going for a second hand set of ping g15. They seem to be highly recommend in the game improvement category from what I've read and there are lots available on eBay.

I went from a set of Callaway X Hot irons that are really good but as someone already said I had problems with distance consistency. I have recently changed to the Cleveland 588 Altitude and it like night and day the Altitudes are so straight and forgiving distance doesn't vary much from in the centre or off the toe or heel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back