Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Played like crap today. 57 going out, 56 coming in for a 113. Putting was horrible, 8 three jacks *sigh* for 41 total putts. Three penalty shots, three times in the sand (5 sand shots total). Only 3 FIR, no GIR. It was a completely horrible, disgusting round. Something has to improve soon or I'm taking a long break ... like forever long.

Played like crap today. 57 going out, 56 coming in for a 113. Putting was horrible, 8 three jacks *sigh* for 41 total putts. Three penalty shots, three times in the sand (5 sand shots total). Only 3 FIR, no GIR. It was a completely horrible, disgusting round. Something has to improve soon or I'm taking a long break ... like forever long.

sucks man. I think we've all been there are one point or another. I know I can relate. Especially to when things start going bad and just snowball into a disappointing round.

If I could offer a piece of advice that someone once gave me - identify one thing you need to work on, and work on that. a lot. It can be a particular iron that you use a lot, sand shots, 5 foot putts, chip shots, whatever. Work on it to the point where you no longer dread it but instead you can't wait to use that shot. Then do it again with something else. For me, it was my 6-iron. Not that I dreaded the 6-iron, but I dreaded all iron shots. I practiced all of them, but focused on the 6-iron. Now, all irons are better but the 6-iron is golden. If I started struggling during a round, I would lay up to 185ish so I can pull the 6 for the next shot. Then I started working on a 1/2 speed PW. Basically a 9 to 3 shot. For me that goes 100 yards. Now I love laying up to 100 and hitting that shot. It is easily the most reliable shot in my bag... so now I'm working on pitches and chips. Using the bounce, etc. I still spend time on my other favorite shots but my focus is on this one. When I get really confident there I will start focusing my practice on another shot.

This method is working for me, I think it might work for you. The more I build confidence in a particular shot, the better I get at "righting the ship" when things start to go badly. That means better scores. Plus you develop your skills at the same time... best of luck, man.

I had something like 108 the other week, that had 38 putts, no penalties, no double sand shots so you're doing better than me tee to green.

If you can get your putts to 36 (by my maths you had 5 single putts on this round? good going!) - you're 108, no penalties and you're 102, get out the sand in one, you're at 100.
You're knocking on the door, keep at it!

Thanks for the comments guys ... had a couple of friends talk me off the ledge last night at dinner. A few months back a 113 would have been cause for celebration, but I expect more from myself now. Part of my problem is course management, and it has to do with how I get off the tee. My driving has improved, with my poor shots being converted from a wicked slice to a pull. They tell me the pull is easier to correct and with time and practice that should come. Strangely enough, I start off well off the tee, and as the round progresses, I get steadily worse. Need to figure out a way to fix that. The guy I play regularly with says I look very stiff and tense at address, like I am too conscious of keeping proper form (and I am). It has to become second nature at some point (which it's not at the moment). My woods are feast or famine, and I top my hybrids. A. LOT. My irons ... they are decent. They don't always go far or straight, but they go far enough and straight enough to move me through the course. My wedges are decent, though sometimes I come up a bit short, and the putting (when I put myself in good positions to make short putts) is good.

So I think I'm going to pull the 4h and 5h from the bag for now and put back in the 4i and 5i. Hitting my 6i 160 yards gets me from tee to green on par 5's in three or maybe four. It's better than what I did yesterday on the first par 5, which was hit my driver 230 (past the dog leg right fairway and into the first cut), top my 3 wood 20 yards, hit the three wood again off the toe sending it into the high brush, taking two to get back onto the green and then being so flustered I three putted. Going to keep the driver around, but if it tanks, I need to just pull the iron and not give a crap if people look at me funny. Course management from here on out.

Deuce, it is a hard game but you need to try to find something good about every round. If you feel like you aren't swinging well, turn it into a full practice round. Drop a few extra balls. You can have scoring rounds, and you can have practice rounds. Just the way you look at the situation can make a huge difference. For me, I do range sessions about twice per week, but that only gives me a small fraction of the situations I will deal with on the course. So if I have a few bad holes and feel like I just don't have it, I will convert the round into a practice round, and then try to work on shots I cannot work on at the range. I promise if you practice a few more shots in the bunkers, or do a couple more tee shots here and there, you will walk away with positives. And being able to work on your game while on the course is awesome. Different lies, slopes, etc. are so much harder to practice anywhere else.

Whatever it takes to avoid frustration. I have a 5 year plan. It doesn't make a lot of difference what happens today or tomorrow, since I am in "development mode" as far as my game goes. Strategies like this allow you to maximize your enjoyment of the game, and not press yourself to always get a lower score. It's the long view that matters, and enjoying the journey. You just need to reset the way you think about the game imo.

My 3rd round is coming up. I shot a 118 the 1st round, and a 105 the second. I am not putting pressure on myself to break 100 this time (or next!). I might, and I might not. I might shoot higher than 105 or even 118. And that's okay. Ultimately I would like to break 80 but I know that it might never happen, or it could happen next year, or in 5. No idea. But that's not the point. It's about enjoying being on the course, and working on your game, AND enjoying the challenge!

I look forward to playing. I look forward to practice. I don't want to turn that into something frustrating, or I have ruined it.

I scored a 112 yesterday morning and was beaten for the 2nd time in 2 days by my wife who has played approx 15 rounds of golf. The worst of it is I know why she can beat me. Her driver off the tee is pretty consistently straight 180 - 200+ plus yards, then she hits her 23* hybrid until she is around 100 yards from the hole pitches on and 1 or 2 putts. I've asked her why she only uses her hybrid and its because she knows if she tops it the ball will go straight and just run on the fairway, if she hits it sweet its up in the air and traveling a reasonable distance. If she stays out the bunkers she is capable of making pars, bogies or double bogie at worst. Never gets angry or frustrated just hits the ball walks or rides to where it lands hits it again. The only time a bit of frustration creeps in is in her putting.

I'm starting to get far more consistent ball flight with my driver a nice very small fade which I know where will land so long as I swing slow and let the club do the work. My 2nd shot goes 2 ways either straight and close or even on the green or horribly wrong and shanked, topped, sliced which then frustrates me as I know I can do better. I take that bad shot with me and repeat the 2nd shot. I am trying to tell myself the tee shot is a bonus and my 2nd shot is actually my first. IF this thought stays in my head I am making bogies, first 4 holes yesterday were all bogies, then the wheels fell off. I am also trying to only use a club I know I can hit straight and a reasonable distance. It generally goes like this driver (200 - 230) yards, then 8,7 or 6 iron depending on distance, which then puts the ball on or very close to the green putting or chipping.

My short game in general is getting far more accurate, I leave the wedges in the bag and use either a 7,8, or 9 iron to chip and run onto the green unless there is a bunker in the way or it is an elevated green. I've also noticed, when things are going well on the front nine, I screw up the back 9 by changing from an iron to a hybrid or in times of extreme madness my 4 wood when I think I am hitting well. I know I can hit my 4 wood 180 - 200 including roll just not consistently, far more tops than clean strikes. I am seriously considering taking out the 4 wood, 20 degree and 4 Hybrid and leaving them at home. However being a short ish hitter there are a couple of par 3's around the 170 - 180 mark, which leaves me with either driver which is to long or 5 iron which is to short.

At the moment I am losing 10 - 15 shots a round on bad judgement, course management and getting angry with myself. The closest course to home which we'll go and play Saturday or Sunday mornings, I have par'd or bogged every hole just not in the same round. I know I am capable of playing this game reasonably well if I could only control the anger management.

Finally. 99 today. Did not take the driver, and still hit the 3 wood like crap. My iron play is really coming around. Short irons looking strong. 2 pars, and three or four other putts just missing for par. But still had two 8's, both on par 5's. A lot of bogeys, I'm happy with bogeys.

Went 45-55/100 yesterday. Fatigue from not eating enough etc caught up with me as I was two blow up holes away from a potential PB. Mostly positive round though; playing a new course focused me to take better lines off the tee and safer approaches. On to the next round.

Finally. 99 today. Did not take the driver, and still hit the 3 wood like crap. My iron play is really coming around. Short irons looking strong. 2 pars, and three or four other putts just missing for par. But still had two 8's, both on par 5's. A lot of bogeys, I'm happy with bogeys.

Went 45-55/100 yesterday. Fatigue from not eating enough etc caught up with me as I was two blow up holes away from a potential PB. Mostly positive round though; playing a new course focused me to take better lines off the tee and safer approaches. On to the next round.

Good work Gents

Posted a combined 98 51front wife putting(25) 47 me putting(22) not a good day on the greens and I had some stupid blow up holes that just should have happened and saved some pars overall an ok round but I got to limit the damage on the blow ups

Good work Gents

Posted a combined 98 51front wife putting(25) 47 me putting(22) not a good day on the greens and I had some stupid blow up holes that just should have happened and saved some pars overall an ok round but I got to limit the damage on the blow ups
Thanks. Had only one gir but several just short, just left,right. My problem now is I'm about two clubs longer when I strike it solid. I hit enough of em well Sunday to start clubbing down. Glad I did, just need to trust it. Shot of the day, 120 yd pw on #18 hit it past the flag, checked up to within 8 ft. Par putt rung the rim and out! Arrrgggghh!

Thanks. Had only one gir but several just short, just left,right. My problem now is I'm about two clubs longer when I strike it solid. I hit enough of em well Sunday to start clubbing down. Glad I did, just need to trust it. Shot of the day, 120 yd pw on #18 hit it past the flag, checked up to within 8 ft. Par putt rung the rim and out! Arrrgggghh!

I had some struggles last round with over clubbing as well, working on the swing can make some rounds interesting. All you can do is trust the yardage and swing.

Oh how I know those putts keep rolling the ball well and more will drop than not

I lack so much distance with driver that it will hold me back scoring.
I am in catch-up mode after tee shots and it's putting too much stress on my game.

I need to figure out something and quick.

I am in catch-up mode after tee shots and it's putting too much stress on my game.

How far do you carry your 3/4/5 wood? I'm inconsistent with the driver right now as well but I lean on my 5 wood for anything under 400 yards (carries about 225). Doesn't always work but keeps the driver in the bag until a par five.

You still taking lessons CJ? What are hitting your driver now?

May I suggest tee it forward?

The last 2 weeks I have spent a lot of time at the range. The very first day, I didn't hit a single good shot. It was either straight, but I topped it, or I would crush it and slice it 100 yards. I continued this trend for a week. I was so frustrated, I wanted to quit. But I kept at it and each time I would knock a few more on. I started going with friends better than me and they would tweek this and that.

Long story short, my best game ever is a 112. That is until today when I shot a 95! First time ever shooting under 100. I couldn't believe how much that horrible practice helped when I was working on the right things.

Here is what helped me the most if anyone cares.

- Make sure your feet lined up correctly. I would always stand with my left leg a little further back than my right. Made me miss a lot of targets to the left.
- Aim for the easiest part of the green, usually the middle. Putting is always better than chipping.
- Don't try to bomb the driver. I know it feels good, but as a beginner, it's a completely different feeling hitting from the fairway vs trying to bomb a hybrid from the rough.
- On long puts, just try to get it within 2 feet of the hole. Sets up a very easy 2 put vs going for it and going 6 feet past the hole.

Anyways guys, it's very possible this was all a fluke and I'll be back talking about my monster 125 next week, but I'm a very happy golfer right now. I wish you all good luck! Keep at it, you'll get there!

Last edited:
Out in 57 and back in with a 52. Front 9 consisted of 3 holes with a triple or worse, 4 doubles a bogie and par on the 9th. Back 9, 2 triples, 4 doubles and 3 bogies. 41 putts with 3 or more on 4 holes. Drives 8 in the middle of the fairways, and 2 a pace off the fairway, 4 in trouble in the trees. 1 ball lost in the water and no bunkers found.
Negatives, when off the fairway instead of a sensible pitch back on for some reason I still tried a tour worthy long iron or hybrid to the green, when will I learn I am nowhere near capable of that?

Positives (for me), instead of getting frustrated or angry, I mentally told myself to slow my swing down and just use a 6 iron or shorter for the 2nd shot. Front 9 I was topping my 2nd shots and this is from swinging to fast again and getting annoyed. Once I slowed myself down things slowly start to come together. The 18th I got cocky / stupid, second shot landed 30 yards from the pin, right in front of the green no bunkers and a nice flat approach. Instead of a simple chip and run on with a 8 iron, i pulled a 56* wedge which resulted in a chunk and run 5-7 yards, now if that wasn't bad enough I repeated the same thing. Left myself 10 yards off the green with a back flag, used the putter and got lucky with the ball stopping 6 foot from the pin.

Lessons learned, stop trying to be spectacular, if I could hit those shots I wouldn't be a engineer I'd be trying to be a pro golfer, swing slow and easy let the club do the work, take a more sensible approach. Take a little longer lining my 2nd putt up, when I do that it is in more than not. Stick with the 6 iron and below for the 2nd shot. When it all comes together the 3rd shot is a chip on to the green leaving me 2 putts on a par 4, or a wedge into a par 5 green. Keep telling myself the tee shot is a bonus shot and the 2nd is really my first and bogie golf might become a reality.

Roll on Thursday morning, when we are out again.

The last 2 weeks I have spent a lot of time at the range. The very first day, I didn't hit a single good shot. It was either straight, but I topped it, or I would crush it and slice it 100 yards. I continued this trend for a week. I was so frustrated, I wanted to quit. But I kept at it and each time I would knock a few more on. I started going with friends better than me and they would tweek this and that.

Long story short, my best game ever is a 112. That is until today when I shot a 95! First time ever shooting under 100. I couldn't believe how much that horrible practice helped when I was working on the right things.

Here is what helped me the most if anyone cares.

- Make sure your feet lined up correctly. I would always stand with my left leg a little further back than my right. Made me miss a lot of targets to the left.
- Aim for the easiest part of the green, usually the middle. Putting is always better chipping.
- Don't try to bomb the driver. I know it feels good, but as a beginner, it's a completely different feeling hitting from the fairway vs trying to bomb a hybrid from the rough.
- On long puts, just try to get it within 2 feet of the hole. Sets up a very easy 2 put vs going for it and going 6 feet past the hole.

Anyways guys, it's very possible this was all a fluke and I'll be back talking about my monster 125 next week, but I'm a very happy golfer right now. I wish you all good luck! Keep at it, you'll get there!

Bravo. And just 4 days ago I told you "you'll break 100 this year." Called it!

So I have been subscribed to this thread almost since I joined THP and it has been very helpful to me and my game. Last round out for me I shot 88 and made 3 birdies. Really was probably the best round of my golf career. I can honestly say that it took me about 5 years to get the mechanics of the golf swing down but now that time frame had passed the mental game is my focus.

My goal is modest in my opinion to be a bogey golfer no matter the course. As a result of this goal I play each hole for bogey and man what a difference.

This post is one of a very positive nature. You can reach goals that you have in this game but as soon as I started to be realistic about myself and my game it has been much easier for me to achieve.

Just thought I would share with you all.

Out in 57 and back in with a 52. Front 9 consisted of 3 holes with a triple or worse, 4 doubles a bogie and par on the 9th. Back 9, 2 triples, 4 doubles and 3 bogies. 41 putts with 3 or more on 4 holes. Drives 8 in the middle of the fairways, and 2 a pace off the fairway, 4 in trouble in the trees. 1 ball lost in the water and no bunkers found.
Negatives, when off the fairway instead of a sensible pitch back on for some reason I still tried a tour worthy long iron or hybrid to the green, when will I learn I am nowhere near capable of that?

Positives (for me), instead of getting frustrated or angry, I mentally told myself to slow my swing down and just use a 6 iron or shorter for the 2nd shot. Front 9 I was topping my 2nd shots and this is from swinging to fast again and getting annoyed. Once I slowed myself down things slowly start to come together. The 18th I got cocky / stupid, second shot landed 30 yards from the pin, right in front of the green no bunkers and a nice flat approach. Instead of a simple chip and run on with a 8 iron, i pulled a 56* wedge which resulted in a chunk and run 5-7 yards, now if that wasn't bad enough I repeated the same thing. Left myself 10 yards off the green with a back flag, used the putter and got lucky with the ball stopping 6 foot from the pin.

Lessons learned, stop trying to be spectacular, if I could hit those shots I wouldn't be a engineer I'd be trying to be a pro golfer, swing slow and easy let the club do the work, take a more sensible approach. Take a little longer lining my 2nd putt up, when I do that it is in more than not. Stick with the 6 iron and below for the 2nd shot. When it all comes together the 3rd shot is a chip on to the green leaving me 2 putts on a par 4, or a wedge into a par 5 green. Keep telling myself the tee shot is a bonus shot and the 2nd is really my first and bogie golf might become a reality.

Quick questions for you. Which tees are you playing at ? Do you walk or ride ?

Quick questions for you. Which tees are you playing at ? Do you walk or ride ?

White Tees at 6575 yards now. Combination of riding and walking. Same score this morning, 55 out 54 in. 3 lost balls in the water. 64% of fairways hit but only around 200 - 220 yards, 41 putts. Sunday I am thinking of trying the Yellows at 6100 or join my wife on the Red tees at 5559 yards. Driving I have confidence in hitting the fairway, short game 100 yards in Im confident on getting on the green, my 2nd and 3rd shots are the killers.

Guess I've just answered my own questions play from the Red tees.

So I have been subscribed to this thread almost since I joined THP and it has been very helpful to me and my game. Last round out for me I shot 88 and made 3 birdies. Really was probably the best round of my golf career. I can honestly say that it took me about 5 years to get the mechanics of the golf swing down but now that time frame had passed the mental game is my focus.

My goal is modest in my opinion to be a bogey golfer no matter the course. As a result of this goal I play each hole for bogey and man what a difference.

This post is one of a very positive nature. You can reach goals that you have in this game but as soon as I started to be realistic about myself and my game it has been much easier for me to achieve.

Just thought I would share with you all.

This was the way I thought of it to break 90. I need 17 bogies & 1 par. Sounds easy! Didn't seem to be at the time.

I also use to get to hung up on hitting it into trouble and that was holding me back. Too many I really don't want to hit it there thoughts. Accept you are going to hit into trouble sometimes & not to worry about it till your there.

White Tees at 6575 yards now. Combination of riding and walking. Same score this morning, 55 out 54 in. 3 lost balls in the water. 64% of fairways hit but only around 200 - 220 yards, 41 putts. Sunday I am thinking of trying the Yellows at 6100 or join my wife on the Red tees at 5559 yards. Driving I have confidence in hitting the fairway, short game 100 yards in Im confident on getting on the green, my 2nd and 3rd shots are the killers.

I'm no pro at all so take this for what it's worth. I think you're ok playing from the whites. Shooting early 100's is nothing to scoff at. Just give your longer irons some TLC and it sounds like you'll be fine. I could probably Stand to take my own advice lol.

I would be playing from at least the yellows if I was you, just my 2 cents.

The best advice I think I ever got from any internet forum was; "When you find yourself having to make a shot from trouble, your primary objective is to assure that your NEXT shot is not made from the same trouble or worse." Hero shots fail for the tour pros all too often and when they go for it you will hear the announcers discussing how dangerous it is in their hushed voices. When you knock you ball into trouble, knock your next shot back into the fairway, it's one of the best ways to limit the damage that's already been done.

Same deal for those long shots that require a carry over water at the end, you know the sort, creek right out front of the green. A layup short of that creek, then a decent pitch can put you in position to putt for par. A ball in that water will cost you more strokes, and even if you carry the water with a long iron or hybrid, there's a good chance you will have an uncomfortably long lag putt to make next, or perhaps even a chip/pitch if you overshoot/miss the green. Either of those scenarios end up likely not being any better off than pitching from the safety of a layup and they magnify the danger.

Do play from the shorter tees if possible, that won't change that much but it may relieve some frustration and may also speed up play a bit, and don't be too shy about sacrificing distance for accuracy. If possible, take some lessons, they really do help. And don't forget to practice. Practice with your driver and irons is good, but don't forget to practice the pitching, chipping, and particularly putting. Those are finesse shots, and the ONLY way to develop the feel to be successful with them is regular practice.

Breaking 100 is tougher than breaking 90 in many ways. 100 seems to be the "hump" that a player has to get past and it takes a combination of physical skills and most importantly mental skills to keep out of trouble and deal with it when you fail at keeping out. Breaking 90 is just honing those skills further. Remember though, that you CAN do it.

Shot a 95, 50/45 with 34 putts. On the back 9 was +4 through 7 holes then put up an 8. What worked for me was playing smart, playing to worst case scenario so I wouldn't put myself in danger. Overall was happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back