Augusta course changes through the years

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Reaction score
Handicap
Just for fun and curiosity. Some may have seen this or already already know of all Augusta changes. I'm sure its not anything new to many but none the less interesting imo and FWIW to anyone's interest. Here is a picture but also a link where the picture can be zoomed in and moved around and viewed more closely and written with all changes and when (years) they took place. If totaly 100% accurate I'm not sure but interesting anyway.

http://www.historyshots.com/viewzoom.cfm?loc=augusta

augusta_national-500x299_zpsde639638.jpg~c200

One thing I notice strange but never gave much thought is that ther really are not all that many fairway bunkers if sometimes any at all. Hence basically (7 thru 15 & 18) Just found that a bit strange but perhaps great players (tour pros) dont really have much bunker troubles anyway so may be that is why although many are around greens. IDK but thought it strange. Differences in trees is pretty large and of course distance. We might find those or other things to converse about as i throw this image and link out there I thought was pretty cool :)

Last edited:
Pretty cool graphic.

notice how "some" the yardages added in the 50's 60's and 70's. Should have broke that down more specific would have been interesting.

Very cool, thanks for sharing. It really shows how they lengthened and tightened it. The changes seem necessary for The Masters. If I was a member I'd long for something closer to the original.

That's cool. I like seeing how courses evolve with the games evolution as well.

That's very interesting.

glad your getting a small kick out of it. The greens have also (mostly) become smaller besides some reshaping.

That is very cool some of the holes look much easier when it was first built

Back