Having a golf coach to break 90

ericdmd

Reaction score
Handicap
I started playing about 10 years ago (at age 38). Took several lessons from different pros and played a lot for about 6 years. I have had a tough time finding someone to consistently take lessons with, so I practiced a lot on the range. I was able to get to the point I was able to hit in low 90’s on my home course. However when I went to another course things usually didn’t go so well.
I have not played as much over the last few years because of frustration with my game.
We have a new pro at our local club who seems to be very good.
He offers lessons and my wife and son are both taking lessons from him and really enjoy working with him.
I spoke with him yesterday about my dilemma. He says that he will work as “my coach” every week with lessons at range and on videotape and then every other week he will do playing lessons on the course. Price $3000 for the entire season, I assume since it is warm here until the end of October that is what he means. He says that he can have me playing in 80’s consistently and even 70’s here and there.
Has anyone done anything like this before? Does it sound crazy?
I was thinking about doing a package of 4 lessons for $300 and if that works out paying the rest and going from there. Any thoughts?

Honestly that sounds a little steep price wise but that could just be me. One of the biggest thing about lessons is what you do after them too so that the information sticks.

That is a lot of $$. Does he guarantee those scores or your money back? :)

Sounds really steep. If you are consistently in the low 90's short game and putting will get you in the 80's. I would pay for a packaged of lessons and build in that.

It sounds like one of those things where if it works, it was worth the money. If it doesn't work, then it isn't. I'm of the mindset that everythingi is negotiable! So work a deal!

I would hesitate forking over the $3k. What happens if a few weeks in you guys just aren't meshing well? $300 for 4 lessons is a more than average but he may have the reputation to get that amount. The guy I have been going to has a stellar reputation and he charges $70 for an hour which isn't too much less than what your guy is asking.

I'm doing something similar to the package you speak of but my cost was about 1200 add in a 200 dollar range pass for 1400 I have to pay greens fees when we hit other courses I don't belong but we will travel for my playing lessons to several courses and they are top tier CC by me

Well let's break it down and not look at just the $3000 bill. A good coach is usually $50 per half hour. So if you get an hour lesson each week, starting the first week of June, you'll have 20-25 lessons at $2000+. Then 10 or so playing lessons? If they are 18 hole lessons, that's roughly $400 per session. Or $200 for a 9 hole lesson. So anywhere from $2000-4000 just on playing lessons alone. You could be looking at $4000 minimum if not in a package deal of some kind.

I don't see the jacked up price here if he is a good coach. For a 6 month 15 lesson deal at GolfTec you'll spend $2100 and that gets you zero playing lessons. That also won't include weekly lessons.

$3000 sounds high as an up front cost but not when you break down the actual cost. I'd ask for unlimited range time and also a payment plan in case you guys don't gel well.

Just my thoughts.

Back