Golf Channel Am Tour

I have played on the GCAT and have since switched to the World Golfers Amateur Tour. It cost much less than the GCAT and I prefer playing to my handicap versus playing in a group 10-15. Best part is you have a chance to when a trip to represent the USA in South Africa.
http://www.wgatusa.com/

They were being compared because I compared them. Not in what they are, but in what they cost and what people get for their money. It gave me a gauge to know how right the THP events are priced when I compare there bigger events cost wise to events we host such as the Morgan cup, The King, Ultimate Club Testing, etc.

Are they different? For some maybe. For others less so. Its all golf. Its golf on nice courses and with "strangers" with competition involved. Is that different? For some yes. For others no. What is different without a shadow of a doubt is what one will get dollar for dollar and as one of the organizers, that is a major goal.
That's fair. Having not yet attended my first THP event, I can only speculate... but the feeling I get about many THP events is significantly different than what I'd expect from a GCAT event. If I sign up for a GCAT event, I only expect to show up, compete, and go home. That's it. And that certainly has its place. I like that there are many local events to choose from, but none of them seem very special. THP events seem very different. Each has a theme, an OEM tie in, and of course a lot of hype. I expect more than just competition. I just feel like they are two completely different animals. It's a bit like comparing an everyday youtube video with a major motion picture :)

How different is playing one of these tours from just joining your local men's club and playing in a regular game? Obviously 1 vs. # courses and expenses are different. But what about the experience, how do they compare?

How different is playing one of these tours from just joining your local men's club and playing in a regular game? Obviously 1 vs. # courses and expenses are different. But what about the experience, how do they compare?
When I played down here it is pretty much the same people every tournament. The difference is that your handicap flights you instead of having a gross/net. I feel like they could be pretty similar

They were being compared because I compared them. Not in what they are, but in what they cost and what people get for their money. It gave me a gauge to know how right the THP events are priced when I compare there bigger events cost wise to events we host such as the Morgan cup, The King, Ultimate Club Testing, etc.

Are they different? For some maybe. For others less so. Its all golf. Its golf on nice courses and with "strangers" with competition involved. Is that different? For some yes. For others no. What is different without a shadow of a doubt is what one will get dollar for dollar and as one of the organizers, that is a major goal.

There's no doubt that you get more for your money with THP events. You guys set up some pretty amazing events.

Agree with c0ncept with regard to having the same folks playing many of the local events and better "flighting" for the competition. It can become more like playing with a pseudo-regular group. I do like having the competition at a number of different venues, versus at the same course.

Anyone play an event in 2014 yet?

Tappin' from my Samsung Note 3

Ive played 2 GCAT tournaments. Both times the weather conditions were horrible, January was 35 degrees and windy, yesterday it misted for 7 holes, then turned into rain, everyone in our group heard thunder on 9 but we were told to play on and just go to cart paths only, by 11 I had soaked thru 4 gloves, 3 towels, rain jacket and all my clothes, so the back 9 was miserable and cold.

I will say I haven't seen any evidence of sandbagging, granted yes the weather has been junk, but in my flight (12-16 handicap) the winning score in either hasn't been less than 90 though I do expect once we get some good weather tournaments that will fall.

Played my first 2014 tournament today in KC. Nice field, 64 players and 11 in my flight. Very warm but very windy with 25 mph, gusting past 30. My putting was terrible and I came in 6th of 11, with a 96. Some of the stuff I worked on over the winter really clicked, other things need more work. Looking forward to the next tournament in 2 weeks. It was great to be wearing shorts in March.

Our local start is on April 12th. I'm not currently signed-up for that one - would really like to get a couple of non-tournament rounds in before an event. However, with the continuing iffy weather, I may go ahead and play in it, just to get some course time.

This winter hasn't helped anyone's game.

I played Adams pointe today and saw the golf channel tour out there. I shot an 82 but the wind was absolutely brutal

I played Adams pointe today and saw the golf channel tour out there. I shot an 82 but the wind was absolutely brutal

I bet. At Painted, gusts were about 45 mph today with 30 mph sustained. Was probably worse there.

There's an event down in Des Moines that I've been debating about entering. On 2 are in right now. I'm not going to spend 6 hrs driving round trip for that small of a field. I'll have to see if it picks up before the deadline next week. Aside from that my first Golf week event is on Apr 26th. Doubt I'll get any course time in before that tourney.

Tappin' from my Samsung Note 3

The IA tour isn't very strong. Wait until you see there are at least two in your flight before signing up. There have to be three in a flight or you get combined with the next flight up.

Played at TPC Sugarloaf outside of Atlanta yesterday. They are playing a Champions Tour event there in a couple of weeks and the course was in beautiful shape. Shot a horrible 94. The bunkers killed me. I needed multiple shots to get out of three of them. To add insult to injury, on the spectacular par 5, 18th, I hit my approach to 8 feet. Unfortunately, it was my playing partner's ball so my par turned into a 7 with the two stroke penalty. Anyone else ever hit someone else's ball in a tournament?

Played at TPC Sugarloaf outside of Atlanta yesterday. They are playing a Champions Tour event there in a couple of weeks and the course was in beautiful shape. Shot a horrible 94. The bunkers killed me. I needed multiple shots to get out of three of them. To add insult to injury, on the spectacular par 5, 18th, I hit my approach to 8 feet. Unfortunately, it was my playing partner's ball so my par turned into a 7 with the two stroke penalty. Anyone else ever hit someone else's ball in a tournament?

That sucks, man. Ive never done that before but I once accidentally hit my ball during my practice stroke in a match in high school. Went straight sideways and my 10ft putt became a 15 footer. I was pissed.

I think my first tourney will be the Glenwood Open in may. I'm really surprised by how robust the Colorado tournament circuit is. Lots of tourneys in a lot of areas. COGolf does a great job organizing and centralizing everything.

That sucks, man. Ive never done that before but I once accidentally hit my ball during my practice stroke in a match in high school. Went straight sideways and my 10ft putt became a 15 footer. I was pissed.

Did that one too once. Wasting strokes like that is so irritating

I think my first tourney will be the Glenwood Open in may. I'm really surprised by how robust the Colorado tournament circuit is. Lots of tourneys in a lot of areas. COGolf does a great job organizing and centralizing everything.

Your right on that, I recently started looking into am tours and found this thread. Seems like theres plenty of Colorado tournaments through the year. I'd really like to tighten up parts of my game to try some out next season. If you do play in it, can you please post your thoughts and how it went?

Sigh... First tournament of the season is tomorrow, and at a private course that I have enjoyed playing a few times previously, Kemper Lakes. The problem? Forecast is for low 50s and 1/2" to 3/4" of rain, with winds in the 10 to 20 mph range. Not a great weather day; probably a battle of attrition for finishing positions.

That's not a bad start. My first sucked rocks. Weather and conditions were miserable, as was my play - actually my entire flight's play was atrocious. We played the first 10 holes in continuous rain, with wind. I can honestly say I was miserable, and that happens rarely when I'm playing golf. I have tourney #2, today, so hoping for a big turnaround, both in the playing conditions, as well as in my play/score.

I have looked that the GolfWeek tour as well, but they don't have as many tournaments as GCAT, so many didn't fit my schedule. There is also the World Golfers Amateur Tour. Pricing is more reasonable, although it is in limited markets at this point. We'll see what I do next year.

My 2nd event went much better - still left some strokes on the course, but was consistent, and didn't shoot myself out of the round. Playing in the MidWest tournament, at Kohler, this coming weekend. Love both of the courses.

My 2nd event went much better - still left some strokes on the course, but was consistent, and didn't shoot myself out of the round. Playing in the MidWest tournament, at Kohler, this coming weekend. Love both of the courses.

Those courses are tough on regular days let alone under a competition setting. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. I had a Jekyll and Hyde event, last year. Posted an 83 on day 1, and then threw-up-on-myself the 2nd day with triple digits. Sooo frustrating... There are 3 holes, on the River course, that I will play more conservatively, this time.

Good luck Rambler. Maybe I'll see you out there.

Good luck Rambler. Maybe I'll see you out there.

Sorry I missed your post, Oneputt. Would have liked to grab a drink with a THPer. How did your results end up? I shot myself out of contention on Day 1, though, I somewhat battled-back on Sunday to crack the top 4 in my flight. Was really wanting a top 3, so I could dial-back on remaining events this summer.

Those courses are tough on regular days let alone under a competition setting. Good luck!

Courses were in really good condition. We were the first carts allowed off the cart path this season. Saturday was pretty nice, but Sunday was great weather and the Meadow Valley course was fun, again. Greens on the River were in better shape; Meadow Valley had a few greens that were still a bit sandy.

Back